Auto leveler 2 flexing with NADIR use

Thread: Auto leveler 2 flexing with NADIR use

Share/Bookmark
  1. Auto leveler 2 flexing with NADIR use

Hello, I have an NN5 w a D700, battery grip, and 24-70 2.8 (it other words, it's very heavy) When shooting the NADIR shot with NADIR attachment the leveler flexes and the top plate lifts up a little from the bottom with the extra stress. Is this just the design of the leveler, or is mine perhaps defective? My center column is not flexing, as I have a carbon fiber Manfrotto that is very strong...

Also, I'm sure you would get a lot less (repeat) questions on this forum if you added a search feature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Also, I'm sure you would get a lot less (repeat) questions on this forum if you added a search feature.
    There's a search option at the head of each forum and also in the Quick Links menu under the forum banner.

John

Hello, I have an NN5 w a D700, battery grip
    That is your problem right there. Remove the battery grip. It's not needed at all for Pano photography and so is simply adding unnecessary weight.

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Brendan,

First of all remove the battery grip as Andrew mentioned. The nikon grips are not very stable in itself and will add and will "bend". This even happens with the D200! The camera moves out of the vertical. Take extra charged batteries with you and use high speed CF cards to be quicker during shooting. And raise ISO if necessary. Anyway, I only shoot max in CL mode.

You are right, there is a little movement to the top plate of the leveller when using the nadir adaptor. First of all, fix the counter screws below the top plate of the leveller. After opening up the adaptor for the second nadir shot, just re level with the rotators bubble. Then the little movement of the top end of the levelers screw on the top plates will be eliminated.

I tested it with D3 24-70 or 14-24. Even used to re level with a bubble leveller on top of the camera: No need to try to be very exact. Normal small movements in the system have no effect to the stitching progress. Software will take this.

Conclusion: take off the battery grip, use the counter screws to fix the top plate of the leveler, re level with the bubble of the rotator, and off you go.

Cheers
    Heinz

Hello, I have an NN5 w a D700, battery grip, and 24-70 2.8 (it other words, it's very heavy) When shooting the NADIR shot with NADIR attachment the leveler flexes and the top plate lifts up a little from the bottom with the extra stress. Is this just the design of the leveler, or is mine perhaps defective? My center column is not flexing, as I have a carbon fiber Manfrotto that is very strong...
    Thanks!
    Hi Brendan - welcome to the forum.
    Becuause of the design nature of the EZ-Leveler-II it will flex a bit or lift on opposite side of weight load when using heavy weighted gear. And using the nadir adapter would in effect add to the weight load on the EZ-L. If you need to use this camera/lens configuration it's actually best "not" to use the EZ-Leveler-II.

Thanks so much for all your replies, I did look all over for the search feature, sorry :)
    So, I use a battery grip for the extra fps I get with it, I do a lot of HDRs and often in changing light conditions, so I want to shoot everything as fast as possible... I know it's a small difference, especially when you start going into long exposures... I just don't want to have to take it on and off just to do a pano, as I am often shooting normal shots and panos together in the same day. I didn't want to adjust the leveler between shots of the pano, but as long as I do the NADIR last it should be fine... The software does stitch it okay as-is, but it does flex a bit and the whole angle is very different to the other shot without the nadir attachment extended, I normally wouldn't mind such a small error, but that is the entire point of your whole product line after all. I am disappointed that there is no weight ratings for the leveler, as I wouldn't of purchased it if I would of known it's "not" recommended for my setup....

As far as the grip rotating and being not very stable, I have never had that problem, they are rock solid... I've used one on the D700 and one on the D300, without any stability problems... maybe your grip has a problem... there is a little plastic peg that goes into a hole in the camera, for extra rotational stability, perhaps yours broke off?

Sorry I looked again and there is a 22Lb weight rating for the leveler... too bad it's not really accurate... perhaps you should re-test it for the weight rating WITH nadir extended... or put some sort of note next to the weight with an explanation...

Sorry I looked again and there is a 22Lb weight rating for the leveler... too bad it's not really accurate... perhaps you should re-test it for the weight rating WITH nadir extended... or put some sort of note next to the weight with an explanation...
    The load limits do not take into account added stress with advent of the new nadir adapter. We'll make note on item page within next couple of days. You are welcomed to return the EZ-L for full refund - we'll even including shipping and pay to have the item shipped back. Just go to your account page to begin the return process.
    Our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.
    Bill

Thanks so much for the offer Bill, I think I am going to keep it, I do find it very handy... I just wanted to ask about this issue, I will try some of the tips here as well. Thanks for making the load limits more clear for others as well.
    Users Country Flag

Brendan and Bill,

The small movement of the opposite side of weight load in the leveller will be eliminated by re leveling after extending the Nadir adaptor. This is not a big deal. One screw to adjust. Of course the battery grip adds torque.

I tested the Battery grip for D200, not the one for D700. So may be its only the plastic one for D200 which is not very stable in the grips body itself.

Regards,
    Heinz

BTW: never had any problems to take the 2nd nadir with D3, 14-24 or 24-70 with Ez-Leveller II and extended Nadir Adaptor. You may compare the small movement with the bubble of the rotators leveller which does not stay totally centered in the center ring when moving around from stop to stop.
    Users Country Flag

The rating is tricky. It is rated for typical configurations where the loading is mostly vertical. I guess the same applies for other manufacturers.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    The load limits do not take into account added stress with advent of the new nadir adapter. We'll make note on item page within next couple of days. You are welcomed to return the EZ-L for full refund - we'll even including shipping and pay to have the item shipped back. Just go to your account page to begin the return process.
    Our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.
    Bill
    Brendan,

do you now understand why I feel happy to be a Nodal Ninja User and customer since some years?

Quick response by the owners themselves and good service.

My tip, just keep it and go on trying. You will feel happy.

Just do 2 test shot series: one pano with re leveling after opening up the nadir adaptor and one without and stitch.

Then you know what happens and what is really necessary to get a good Nadir Stitch.

Nature, ups, software takes a lot

Cheers,
    Heinz

Btw: Thx for asking, it will help other users.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 12-13-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks guys, I have been doing panos for a while but the 360 thing with the NADIR (and zenith) shot is new to me. Just trying to make sure the equipment I'm using isn't working against me... again I know the software will correct the minor errors if I don't re-level, It's just a little hard to get enough overlap for the NADIR sometimes using a 24mm lens, and any leveling issues will accentuate this. I've already been drooling over the 14-24, definitely my next purchase... With my 24-70 at 24mm I've been doing two rows, one +30º and one -30º, with a zenith and a nadir shot. Anyone else using a 24mm with different settings for more overlap on the nadir?