Coming Soon: Tripod Adapter for Use with Fanotec Rotators and Poles

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coming Soon: Tripod Adapter for Use with Fanotec Rotators and Poles

Share/Bookmark
  1. Coming Soon: Tripod Adapter for Use with Fanotec Rotators and Poles

Users Country Flag

When the height of the Fanotec pole increases beyond 3 meters, the need for an effective support base becomes prominent. Some professional pole systems on the market come with a dedicated support tripod, which is bulky, costly and cannot be used for other purposes.
    High end tripods for photography are strong enough to support a 6 meter pole. Some people even attempt to install a rotator and pole directly onto the tripod. This is very dangerous. Rotators and tripod center columns are designed to withstand vertical loading with minimal bending torque. With a 6 meter pole, the torque is increased by 30 times. This can cause damage, without noticeable warning, to the tripod center column top disk, rotator and pole base and to the gears on top of the pole. Damage to equipment and potential injury to people in the area should be avoided at all costs.
    As part of the pole systems, Fanotec is releasing a low cost, light weight and safe to use tripod adapter for use with Fanotec rotators and poles.

This tripod adapter works with tripods that have a 3/8” male thread on top and a 3/8” male/ female thread at the bottom of the center column. The adapter spreads the bending torque over the length of center column, greatly reducing the torque at the tripod top disk, rotator and pole base. It works with Fanotec advanced rotators, pole rotator (coming soon) and Fanotec poles.

It will have an introductory price of $49.95 and will be available in Feb 2011.

Note: Images shown are just prototype and are subject to changes.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

OOOH! Nice (again)... but will the offset of the camera/lens weight have any effect on stability ?

Badders

Indeed, this is a nice (and safe) solution to mount a Fanotec pole on a high end tripod.

The rotator at the bottom end of the pole makes it possible to precisely rotatate the pole, this is very handy to make a shoot as relaxed as possible and to reduce the number of shots.
    With a wide spread of the legs of the tripod the small offset of the adapter isn't an issue at all.

For maximum stability and when using a high pole it is also possible to hang a balance weight of 2-5 kg at the bottom of the center column, most high end tripods can handle a load of at least 7-10 kg so the extra weight is no issue.
    Most times I use an iron disk of a dumbble for this but in fact any small and heavy object can be used for this f.i. a small jerrycan filled with water, or a small bag filled with sand or rocks will do fine.

Wim
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 12-08-2010 at 02:44 AM.

The mounting onto tripod would also be handy if using 3/8 wing nut or quick release system.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    For maximum stability and when using a high pole it is also possible to hang a balance weight of 2-5 kg at the bottom of the center column, most high end tripods can handle a load of at least 7-10 kg so the extra weight is no issue.
    Wim
    Hi Wim,

I will make a "belt" which will be tied to the adapter. The user can step on the belt to stabilize the tripod. It will be more convenient than bringing a few kg of weight with oneself.

oh, BTW, did I mention that I would also make an adapter for horizontal application of our poles using our click-stop rotators? :-)

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 12-08-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    ....I will make a "belt" which will be tied to the adapter. The user can step on the belt to stabilize the tripod. It will be more convenient than bringing a few kg of weight with oneself....
    Hello Nick,

Indeed, a belt is much more convienant in all situations where you can stand close to the tripod, only when your own shadow is an issue or when you cant walk around (if you want to prevent that you are part of the scene) then a balance weight is needed.

....did I mention that I would also make an adapter for horizontal application of our poles using our click-stop rotators? :-) ....
    I am curious about the design, is it for handheld or for pole use (or both) ?

Edit: I made a typo, I meant "tripod" instead of "pole" in the line above.

Wim
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 12-08-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Typo
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    Hello Nick,

Indeed, a belt is much more convienant in all situations where you can stand close to the tripod, only when your own shadow is an issue or when you cant walk around (if you want to prevent that you are part of the scene) then a balance weight is needed.
    Hi Wim,

Thx for another tip.

I am curious about the design, is it for handheld or for pole use (or both) ?

Wim
    for tripod use. Tripod is easier to handle than handheld adapter which will be another little accessory.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Looking forward to get this soon. Thank you for the great work guys. Cheers!
+ Reply to Thread