Coming Soon: Foot Plate for Using Rotator at the Base of Pole

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coming Soon: Foot Plate for Using Rotator at the Base of Pole

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

will be available when you can order on NN store. Not far to go.

One question to get things right: What do you like to use? New foot plate, RD4 on top, and then? Using RD4 as shown in Nick's picture, will offer the normal 3'8" female, or with the additional 3/8"to 1/4" screw as another option.

Using a Fanotec pole, this can be added to the RD4 with the included 3/8 screw. Sorry I do not understand the RD16 connection.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 02-02-2011 at 06:31 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
    It’s next week, can I get a Pole footplate now?
    And will the Rotator Knob Set for RD16 work with the RD4 rotator? I’m thinking of getting the RD4 rotator and adding some extra stops to it. This way I can keep things lightweight, small and still have the extra stops that I will be needing for shooting 3D panos.

I love taking things apart and modifying them.

Roger
    they are on the way to USA store (takes 4-5 working days), together with new pole rotators. The pole rotator is smaller, lighter than RD4 and sealed from dust and mud. It has stronger detent optimized for extra weight of pole. It is more suitable for use on waist level, vertically and horizontaly. There are 3 models initially, each has one shooting interval at 36 deg, 45 deg or 60 deg. Model with other interval can be made upon request. Introductory price for pole rotator is just $49.95 each.
    RD16 can also be mounted with optional adapter which serves as a protecting bumper. Without this adapter, the footplate can only bend downwards, less convenient to use.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 02-02-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi,

will be available when you can order on NN store. Not far to go.

One question to get things right: What do you like to use? New foot plate, RD4 on top, and then? Using RD4 as shown in Nick's picture, will offer the normal 3'8" female, or with the additional 3/8"to 1/4" screw as another option.

Using a Fanotec pole, this can be added to the RD4 with the included 3/8 screw. Sorry I do not understand the RD16 connection.

Regards,
    Heinz
    With the new rotor coming out I may change my plans.
    What I was planning on is adding a 3 or 4 inch spacer between the footplate and rotor to keep the rotor out of the dirt.
    On the RD4 rotor I was planning on drilling and tapping 4 more holes centered between the dents so 6 can now be used, 6 with one screw or 12 with a two screw, the 4 can be 4 or 8, on the 2 and 3 I would be adding more dents (as I don’t need 2 or 3) making them something like 14 - 28 and 18 – 36.
    So now I would have a small rotor with dent stops something like below.

As for my carbon fiber poles, I will have to modify the base to work on the rotor.
    I don’t need a rotor for normal pole shots, but with my new duel camera pano head for shooting 3D panos I will need one to shot many more shots fast as possible.
    This is what will be mounted on top of the pole:
    http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_head4.jpg

Roger
    Users Country Flag

So now I would have a small rotor with dent stops something like below.
    http://indiavrtours.com/pic/3d_head4.jpg
    Each pole rotator can have only ONE detent stop option. Because of its size, you CANNOT get very dense interval. I need to check it out. chances are it will not support more than 18 stops.

Nice 3D head, BTW.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Here's my custom Footplate modification that allows the footplate to fold up out of the way with not in use, the 5 inch tall spacer also helps to keep sand and dirt out of the RD16 rotator or any of the other rotators that can be used.
    http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/footplate.jpg

Roger Berry

Hello Roger,

That is a nice extension. Unless I am wrong you made it to keep dirt, sand, etc. out of the rotator and not to gain some extra height of the camera.
    Although 5" will help it is not enough to protect the rotator from dirt so you still need to close the open detent sockets otherwise dirt will still enter the rotator in windy weather.
    If the extra tension of the springs when the footplate is folded-in is an issue for the lifespan of the springs or not I don't know, I guess time will tell.

Wim
    Users Country Flag

Here's my custom Footplate modification that allows the footplate to fold up out of the way with not in use, the 5 inch tall spacer also helps to keep sand and dirt out of the RD16 rotator or any of the other rotators that can be used.
    http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/footplate.jpg

Roger Berry
    Hi Roger.

Nice mod. Does the force of springs reduce after bending to +90 deg? I think they were deformed during my testing. That is why I limit the tilt angles.

Nick

BTW, prior customers of Fanotec Advanced rotators can ask for silicone dust protecting plugs from resellers free of charge.
    Last edited by nick fan; 03-04-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Fanotec

If you use two spikes -- one in the center and one on the end -- and you have two different spike styles -- sharp and blunt -- then shouldn't you have 4 sockets for storing unused spikes? Like if you use no spikes when spikes are prohibited?
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    If you use two spikes -- one in the center and one on the end -- and you have two different spike styles -- sharp and blunt -- then shouldn't you have 4 sockets for storing unused spikes? Like if you use no spikes when spikes are prohibited?
    The long blunt "spike" is for use on soft ground such as grass land to provide more anti-twisting force. Since the spike under the pole is near the center, there is no advantage to use a longer spike. Hence only one long spike is provided.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Hi Wim and Nick.

I built it for 2 reasons, to help keep the rotator out of the dirt and so the footplate folds up out of the way. When I'm walking around with my pole setup all day, I really prefer not having to worry about the footplate sticking out.
    I will close the open detent sockets, but first I have to decide which rotator is going to work best for me when shooting stereo 3D photos from on top of a pole at about 8 to 14 high.
    No, this was not made to gain height, the carbon fiber pole that I have goes from 5 feet to 25 feet.
    And yes, the +90 deg does badly weaken the spring, but I'm use to having my foot at the base of the pole anyway so this wont matter to me. Although I do wish the spring worked the other way around and closed the footplate up against this spacer, I may try to change it.

Roger Berry

I shoot on soft surfaces all the time. If I was using your foot plate, I would want a spike on the end also. The spike in the middle can't provide anti-twisting torque forces. It can only provide lateral stability. On soft surfaces, the spike on the end would be providing almost all the anti-torque forces. So two spikes would be necessary.
    Users Country Flag

I shoot on soft surfaces all the time. If I was using your foot plate, I would want a spike on the end also. The spike in the middle can't provide anti-twisting torque forces. It can only provide lateral stability. On soft surfaces, the spike on the end would be providing almost all the anti-torque forces. So two spikes would be necessary.
    Hi DemonDuck,
    The foot plate has 3 spicks.
    Two short and one longer, one in the center and one goes on the end.
    On soft surfaces you could make even a longer spike if needed, and standing on it will help.

Roger Berry
    Last edited by Cameleer; 03-04-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Hi DemonDuck,
    The foot plate has 3 spicks.
    Two smaller ones that go in the center and a longer one that goes on the end.
    On soft surfaces you could add a longer spike if needed, and standing on it will help.

Roger Berry
    You've missed my point. The point is that if you have two types of spikes and use two spikes -- one in the center and one on the end of the foot -- you need 4 storage sockets for the times when you use no spikes.
    Users Country Flag

You've missed my point. The point is that if you have two types of spikes and use two spikes -- one in the center and one on the end of the foot -- you need 4 storage sockets for the times when you use no spikes.
    Here's a photo showing the spikes.
    http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/footplate3.jpg

Being that the foot plate is hinged, the spicks can be different sizes.
    And if your on soft ground the spick will sink into the ground. I could use a 1/2 inch spick and a 2 inch spick in soft ground if needed.

Roger Berry
    Users Country Flag

Hi Wim and Nick.

I built it for 2 reasons, to help keep the rotator out of the dirt and so the footplate folds up out of the way. When I'm walking around with my pole setup all day, I really prefer not having to worry about the footplate sticking out.

And yes, the +90 deg does badly weaken the spring, but I'm use to having my foot at the base of the pole anyway so this wont matter to me. Although I do wish the spring worked the other way around and closed the footplate up against this spacer, I may try to change it.

Roger Berry
    Hi Roger,

It is fun to see modification and improvements from ADVANCED tinkerers. In case you need to get some fresh springs, contact me off line.

BTW, you can bend the footplate down to -90 deg position by applying some force. A discovery by Wim. It scratches some anodized layer at the hinged though. The springs are not deformed in this way (in fact that is its initial angle). Wim prefers this position for storage.

Nick

PS Beginners should not attempt to modify our products. It voids the warranty.
    Last edited by nick fan; 03-04-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread