Hello and please advise - what is wrong with this pano?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello and please advise - what is wrong with this pano?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Hello and please advise - what is wrong with this pano?

This is my first post so can I just say how much I have enjoyed reading all the previous threads - everyone seems very helpful and friendly.

I recently purchased an NN5 and tried it out for the first time today. I used PTGUI to process the pano which consists of 3 rows of bracketed shots.

Obviously, I have done something wrong somewhere as you can see from the (hopefully) attached JPG.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Try uploading the image to http://sharesend.com/ and then post the link to it here.

John
    Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Would be very helpful for us to get to know about your equipment: camera body, lens type, additional quick release systems. Great stuff for the first pano, three rows of bracketing shots.

But I am quite sure we will get you on the road. For the best try to upload the set of shots.

Regards,
    Heinz

Sorry about that - I suspected that I was doing something wrong!

Thanks John for that link - try: http://sharesend.com/w67wf

I hope that works.

Equipment: NN5, Canon 5D, 24 - 70 lens, tripod and remote release.

That's fine. I suggest you output the blend planes, or maybe select each set of images for display in the Panorama Editor window using the ev selection option below the "Include images" list on the Create Panorama tab. It looks like you may have some misplaced images which are causing blending problems.

John
    Users Country Flag

Wow, what has happened?
    the link works by the way. Would be really nice to send the set of pictures.

What did you use in advanced mode, Exposure/HDRI? Exposure fusion only? I do not use full HDRI function in PTGui, because this is not the best part of the program. There are better ones specially made for HDRI. But most of the time you use exposure fusion function only, you often will get a good result.

Actually I have to say I have never seen such a problem before. Looks odd to me cause besides these irregular stripes do not only show differences in color, but for me they are also unsharp. And all this is not to be found in a regular bases throughout the panorama. The stripes are irregular.

Sorry to ask, but did you check your lens to be clean from both sides?

Would be very helpful to have the set of pics or minimum a set of one row, so that we can test on our own. But may be John has a quick answer?

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

BTW: did you stitch the whole set of pics in one go? I had problems in stitching 3 rows with 5 bracketing shots at zoom 24 to stitch this in one go in earlier beta versions. Doing it row by row, which means stitch the first row and then add the pics of the following row and stitch again, everything went nice.

I did not test it with the latest beta versions. There is just a new beta of PTGui fixing several problems with the mac today.

Heinz

Thanks for your help.

John, I did as you suggested and found two extra frames lurking at the right end of the bottom row. Once I removed them, the pano’ stitched fine with no blending issues (to my eye at least!).

I was surprised though that two extra frames from one ‘corner’ of the pano’ could cause such interference across the whole image – interesting.

Hindenhaag, I must admit when I saw the original blended and stitched image, I immediately thought of dirt on the lens too……..

You mention that there are better HDRI software routes than PTGui out there – can you name one that is fairly idiot proof for me?

Also, in PTGui, is there anyway of enlarging the Panorama Editor window? I find it is too small to really see what I am doing.

Thanks again to you both.

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by mondegofoto View Post
    Also, in PTGui, is there anyway of enlarging the Panorama Editor window? I find it is too small to really see what I am doing.
    Robin, The Panorama Editor window can be dragged by the corner to any size you like, just like other windows. PTGui V9 (beta 7 available for download) has a new Detail Viewer that enables you to zoom into the blended panorama at high magnifications.

John
    Users Country Flag

Robin,

a lot of us use Photomatix Pro , but in the last time there are some new products, Oloneo, Nik. I use a mac, so some of them are limited for PC only.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html

http://www.oloneo.com/

http://www.niksoftware.com/products/usa/entry.php

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-28-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks again to you both.

Robin
+ Reply to Thread