D300, Samyang 8mm, w/ NN5L

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: D300, Samyang 8mm, w/ NN5L

Share/Bookmark

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
    How do I delete images I previously uploaded, so I can upload some other images?
    Assuming you don't have access to any private web space, you might consider uploading your images to one of the free services such as:
    http://www.sharesend.com
    http://www.filedropper.com

John
    Users Country Flag

Thank you again.
    Here are my last images, please take a look.
    http://sharesend.com/e3vyo
    Users Country Flag

Heinz and John,
    I made a mistake and as result I think I shot one image rotating only 45 deg instead of 90 + zenith at 60 and nadir at -60. My LRS and URS are exactly as you recommended unless I'am reading wrong LRS setting (picture would be worth a 1000 words). I'm reading of left edge of column support.
    My images:
    http://sharesend.com/e3vyo
    What is nadir adaptor. Where can I see it?
    Thank you!

Despite the odd yaw increments, the images stitch perfectly fine with PTGui. The optimizer report gave the average distance as 0.5 and a maximum of 1.6. I would recommend that you give all the images the same exposure in manual mode for ease of blending. You should also be careful of the position of your shadow in the shots so that hopefully most of the shadows can be easily eliminated. There didin't seem to be much point in shooting the nadir at pitch -60. If you are going to take nadir shots on the tripod, take two pointing directly down with the head rotated by 90 or 180 degrees between them.

The details of the nadir adapter are in this thread.

John
    Users Country Flag

Adamo,

as John a got a fine stitch in PTGui. But I get crazy about the stops, "odd jaw increments". Once again, you need 4 shots around, you have to set the detend plunger to 90º. When you use pitch, you have to move the upper rail up and down. Sorry to ask, but why do you take a shot with 45º in between? How can this happen with the detent plunger set to 90º, because it should only click in at 90º. What do you do,just try to explain, we just want to help you.

I stitch 4 of your shots, and the seems show different exposures, which means once the sky is lighter than in the other shot. So 4 shots have four different blue colors of the sky, which will end in different colors of the sky and the rest of the pano at the end.Basic : set aperture, shutter speed, white balance and focus to manual. Otherwise you will get a puzzle of everything, besides problems in stitching cause of a wrong set up in your own case.

Sorry, cause I still can not delete my pics from advanced mode attachments, I can not send a pic right now. I send a link tonight. Derek is working on this.

You take nadir shots to be able to get rid of the feet and the tripod and replace it with a "true pic of the ground below your tripod". Now have a look to your nadir shot: feet and tripod in one shot. Easy to avoid your feet: take a remote control, walk aside, and take the shot, a shot without feet. Walking aside, have an eye on it to avoid your own shadow in this picture. Take the sun in front of you behind the tripod than in your back taking a nadir shot with your shadow added on the ground.

Now the main point of a nadir shot system: think about your nadir shots without feet: the tripod covers the ground below it. But a panorama with a good Nadir solution should show this area. What can you do? With only one shot, the only solution is to "clone stamp" = to copy the areas around the tripod which seem to be similar to ground below the tripod, and paste them in this area. In Photoshop. There are different ways to to get a good bottom below the tripod. To cut it short. I use the NN nadir adaptor. Added to NN5 or NN3, this is one shot -90º down after the 4 shots around, open up the adaptor, move the tripod sideways, second shot. And then you mask the tripod in PTGui advanced mode with mask function in the two nadir shots and then you stitch all together.

http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/na...erQRG_full.pdf

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
    Users Country Flag

John,
    You got excellent result then with my images. It was just a test, so I didn't care about the shadows or anything else, but setup for NPP. Will shot on manual in the future. Nadir is a big problem for me. Have to learn how to do it.
    Can put to rest NPP settings and leave it as it is?
    Thank you so much!
    Users Country Flag

Heinz,
    I shot 45 deg, becase I have only 45 deg detent ring and made a mistake. 90 deg detent din't come with my set of NN5. I'm buying 90/120 deg detent ring soon. Thank you again!
    Freezing rain today, but will try soon.

Adamo, I have uploaded a copy of my stitched panorama (DxO.jpg) to http://sharesend.com/qw01r. I would say you should be happy with your NPP settings - at least until you have shot a more challenging subject with things close to the camera.

John
    Users Country Flag

John,
    You're the master. It looks 1000x better than what I can do in PTGui. Which images did you stitch?
    Where did you learn how to do it?
    THANK YOU!
    Users Country Flag

Adamo,

John is a very experienced guy, since years, very precise. Sometimes you do not like his comments on your own work. Be sure, this is no personal comment. He personally likes to be very precise, so he trained himself a lot, reading a lot, trying to get into the depth of software by try and error.

John is one of the most experienced guys in this theme, his comments and tutorials help newbies to get on the next floor.

Concerning questions about the nadir, just ask, I will try to send pics or another info on how to solve it.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-24-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Heinz,
    You got it wrong.
    I appreciate yours and John's critic as harsh as it may seem. Please, be frank with me.
    My photography experience goes back 40+ years, but in pano photography I am novice.
    I need all the help I can get here.
    Thank you both.

Adamo, I used all the images that you supplied for my stitch. There were no particular difficulties, but I did use the mask facilities in the latest V9 beta version of PTGui Pro to help the blending process. As Heinz says, I've been doing this for some years now. I began with the first versions of PTGui in the year 2000, but I have dabbled with panoramas using traditional wet chemical photographic processes since the 1960's.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
    I need all the help I can get here.
    Adamo, I know you have been using Autopano Pro for your stitching, but since you mentioned also trying PTGui, I have uploaded my project file here. As I said, it's for the V9 beta that's available for download. It should be compatible with earlier versions though.

John
    Users Country Flag

John,
    I noticed from this PTS that you put for FOL 8.55 and for conversion factor 1.6. Is there any reason for this? Also, you used fullframe for lens type. I used circular.
    However, after optimizer I got max distance 15.xxx
    Thank you!
    Users Country Flag

Adamo,

I just took the first 4 pics, aligned, optimized with lens shift and heavy in advanced mode, del worst control points and ended up with max 1.2. In the preview you can see the seems with different colours. You have to set focal lens to 8mm, and full frame. After the first alignment PTGui sets the own focal length and factor , that's why we get 8.55 etc.

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/f...anoPreview.zip

http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/na...erQRG_full.pdf

Regards,
    Heinz
+ Reply to Thread