D300, Samyang 8mm, w/ NN5L
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D300, Samyang 8mm, w/ NN5L

Share/Bookmark
  1. D300, Samyang 8mm, w/ NN5L

Users Country Flag

Have big problem in finding NPP.
    I followed 2ND link posted by Heinz and cannot get it correctly after many tries.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NPP_tripod.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	749.9 KB 
ID:	117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NPP_trying.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	118  
    Last edited by Adamo; 11-20-2010 at 02:06 PM.

The curving lines on the floor in the second image indicate that the optimization has gone awry. You should check that control points have not been assigned on the tripod and head. If they have, delete them and reoptimize. You can also try using the "Delete worst control points" option on the Control Points menu. It may be necessary to reset the lens parameters a,b,c to 0 before doing a further optimization. To do this, switch into Advanced mode via the button on PTGui's Project Assistant tab, and select the Lens Details tab.

John

Looks like you are taking 6 shots around? You only need 4 shots around tilted down at -15degs plus one shot up tilted up at 60 degs for a full 360 x 180 with this lens and the D300. What software are you using to stitch? Are you telling it the correct initial lens parameters?

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Adamo,

to get you out of frustration on a sunny sunday morning: Try 60 for LRS and 97 for URS. D300s Samyang 8mm NN5.

But check the setting with your own equipment with the links you know. Samyang only needs 4 for shots around. You should get familiar with the way to find the settings on your own as well

Sucess,
    Heinz

BTW.: One of the basic links: http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc_de.htm
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-21-2010 at 03:23 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    Looks like you are taking 6 shots around? You only need 4 shots around tilted down at -15degs plus one shot up tilted up at 60 degs for a full 360 x 180 with this lens and the D300. What software are you using to stitch? Are you telling it the correct initial lens parameters?
    No, I'm taking 5 shots around only, no Zenith. I'll try 4 shots at -15 plus zenith +60.
    Also, is the CP line running up/down above white screw supposed to indicate 97 on upper arm? Then I had correct setting there, but lower was set at 63. Is LRS indicated by left edge of a support arm? A little confused would be under statement.:001_unsure:
    Thank you all!
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
    No, I'm taking 5 shots around only, no Zenith. I'll try 4 shots at -15 plus zenith +60.
    Also, is the CP line running up/down above white screw supposed to indicate 97 on upper arm? Then I had correct setting there, but lower was set at 63. Is LRS indicated by left edge of a support arm? A little confused would be under statement.:001_unsure:
    Thank you all!
    In addition what focal length is correct to use in autopano or PTGUI?
    The reviews I read claim a little bit different ones, like true FL i9s 8.7, 7.87, 8.5 etc.
    Users Country Flag

Here are two more images after correcting my setup to suggested settings. I think it's much better. 4 around at +15, 1 at +60 and 1 at -60.

Name:	when add -60 shot.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	577.4 KB 
ID:	119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NPP_still_trying.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	120  
    Users Country Flag

Hi Adamo,

The line on CP is indication the upper rail setting. 97 is right. But your thumbnail shows the teeth of the saw cut to the left, so you have to move to the left, which means you have to reduce the distance, it has to be set to something lower than 63: try 60 as I recommended.

Focal length has to be set to 8mm. PTGui will determine it self after the first arrangement. Just came back home right now, so an answer being a little bit later, but better than no answer?

Cheers,
    Heinz

BTW: John answered as well while I was looking up my database. So Adamo, you see we are watching... Because of the special construction of the Samyang lens it is more a 9mm, and with a good stitch adding manual control points to the outside of the lens, corrected Chromatic Aberration and a very small crop, you get a FOV of around 190°.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-21-2010 at 03:55 PM.

PTGui evaluates the focal length of the Samyang 8mm to approximately 9mm, so it's best to initialize it to that.

John
    Users Country Flag

John and Heinz,
    Thank you for helping me here. Close, but no cigar, so far
    I've already set LRS to 60 in the last images I attached. I shall try 59 today or tomorrow.
    Should I shot 4 around at -15, zenith at +60, nadir -60? Total 6? :001_unsure:

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
    Should I shot 4 around at -15, zenith at +60, nadir -60? Total 6? :001_unsure:
    Yes. Nadir is optional as of course you can clone the area around the tripod in P'Shop.

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Hi,
    Here is my latest test. URS at 97 and LRS at 59. According to Autopano I get 2.47 RMS excellent.
    Here are two images. Please comment.
    How do I delete old attachments? No room for second image.
    Thanks!

Name:	ULR_97_LRS_59.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	611.4 KB 
ID:	121  

RMS of 2.47 doesn't seem quite so wonderful to me. I expect to get figures in PTGui like average distance <1 and maximum <2. There didn't seem anything wrong with your previous test result with a LRS of 60, so why not try shooting some real panoramas?

John
    Users Country Flag

Thank you for your reply.
    I thought that I still had "saw blade" effect, so I changed to LRS 59.
    How do I delete images I previously uploaded, so I can upload some other images?
    I was never able to get better RMS than 2.4 in Autopano. I input lens focal length as 8.7. Still learning, but it's tough, because of lack of recources. Any suggestions for reading / looking. It's all magic to me right now.
    I think I made a mistake and shot my images as mixed bag of 45 and 90 deg. That's why I got 6 including zenith.
    Users Country Flag

Adamo,

The thumbnail looks a bit rare to me. The rail to the right is incomplete. Did you photoshop? Try to focus to the corner of the rotator. But anyway, LRS should be right around 59 60.
    I have the same problems to delete uploaded images. I already contacted Derek, he is working on this problem.

Concerning the set up for shots: When you say you are shooting 6 around, this means 6 shots in one row without changing pitch : means up and down of upper rail. So your 6 is better explained by 4 around + Zenith and Nadir. Cause the Samyang has a Field of view of nearly 190°, you could also shoot 4 around at +5°, which gives a good Zenith. To get a good Nadir, I use the Nadir Adaptor and shoot 2 nadir shots, one in normal position -90°, second shot with open Adaptor and replaced tripod. But you have to find you own workflow, there are different methods to shoot the nadir: viewpoint correction, handheld, or with the nadir adaptor, which I prefer personally.

There are tutorials at Autopano homepage as well as on www.PTGui.com .

John's very useful info's: http://www.johnhpanos.com/tuts.htm

and this: http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/technical0.html

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-23-2010 at 10:50 PM.