Does Samyang 8mm = Opteka 6.5mm?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does Samyang 8mm = Opteka 6.5mm?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Does Samyang 8mm = Opteka 6.5mm?

Hi,

I am about to buy an Opteka 6.5mm lens. (If you want to know why, check out my previous thread: http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...n-EF-s-10-22mm). I was recently looking into the lens when I found the following sentence at photozone.de:
    Samyang Optics (Korea) is offering SLR lenses for many years but recently they've gained some higher visibility & popularity due to some quite exiting new products like the recently reviewed Samyang 85mm f/1.4 and the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 CS Fisheye which we'll cover in this test report. Samyang lenses are also marketed by several other companies like Vivitar (7mm f/3.5), Bower (8mm f/3.5), Opteka (6.5mm f/3.5), Walimex (8mm f/3.5) and probably a couple more.
    (http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/526-samyang8f35eos).

So does this mean that the Opteka 6.5mm is the exact same as the Samyang 8mm? This is baffling me.
    Users Country Flag

looks like the same lens to me. If you plan to use NN3, it will be fine. If you plan to use the lens ring, then I am not sure if there are any minor changes in the dimensions of the lens barrel.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by VinkoCM View Post
    So does this mean that the Opteka 6.5mm is the exact same as the Samyang 8mm?
    Yes it is. Buy it. (As long as you're using the NN3 or NN5. See Nick's post above.)

Badders

I am buying it for sure, probably in the next week. I am using the NN3. I won't be using a lens ring. Thanks for the confirmation.
+ Reply to Thread