Just received a pole. Awesome! +

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Just received a pole. Awesome! +

Share/Bookmark
  1. Just received a pole. Awesome! +

    #1
    Lightbulb

    Very impressed with the quality of manufacturing.

    Would like to suggest a small improvement: please put a scale on the pole's sections - sometimes it is necessary to collapse a pole and expand it back exactly to the same height. Don't know if it is hard to paint on carbone, though.

    Wait for Series 2 with anticipation :)
  2. #2
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,419

    Hi 1drey,

    I am afraid the painting will not last long after many expansion/ contraction cycles.
    I am working on foot rotator which will make the use of pole easier.

    BTW, I want to add 2 warnings about safe use of our poles.
    Fanotec poles are good electrical conductor. Stay away from overhead electrical wires.
    Do NOT mount the pole on a rigid tripod. Tripod/ pole base can be damaged by the huge torque generated by the camera and lens at full extension. Wait for dedicated accessory for safe use with tripod.

    Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 11-09-2010 at 06:24 PM.



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. #3
    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post

    I am afraid the painting will not last long after many expansion/ contraction cycles.
    That's normal wear.. Nothing to be afraid about that's life when stuff gets older ;) I am not so fresh myself at 41 years of age.
    the pole is looking so strong it will last a very, very long time!

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I am working on foot rotator which will make the use of pole easier.

    BTW, I want to add 2 warnings about safe use of our poles.
    Fanotec poles are good electrical conductor. Stay away from overhead electrical wires.
    Do NOT mount the pole on a rigid tripod. Tripod/ pole base can be damaged by the huge torque generated by the camera and lens at full extension. Wait for dedicated accessory for safe use with tripod.

    Nick
    Good warning. I guess most sensible people will understand that already. :)


    The pole rocks for sure! I think it is very strong and well build!
    the accessory you talk about is the tripod side mounting thing you showed??
  4. #4
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,419

    Quote Originally Posted by discocandy View Post
    the accessory you talk about is the tripod side mounting thing you showed??
    http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...e-Base-of-Pole
    and a dedicated rotator for poles.
    http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...tors-and-Poles

    nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. #5

    I will mollest my old DIY mini panohead I builded in 2007 to create a DIY baseplate for the rotator as a test :). I also have a RD4 I can use for it.
    I know it is plexiglass and not very strong but will work for the test :)


    My old painters pole.
  6. #6
  7. #7
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,419

    Quote Originally Posted by discocandy View Post
    and here it is.
    Wow, another great tinkerer.
    good job!
    I have made adapters for using the external bubble on the lower 2 sections of the pole. You can bring the bubble closer to you eye for easy reading.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Wow, another great tinkerer.
    good job!
    I have made adapters for using the external bubble on the lower 2 sections of the pole. You can bring the bubble closer to you eye for easy reading.

    Nick
    Nick. I found the torque pretty big on the rotator. so much it was harder to rotate.
    I know this cilinder form of the rotator is very strong so I do not bother to much on braking the RD4 with this but the more in breaking the screw or the inside of the pole.

    what do you think?
  9. #9
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,419

    Quote Originally Posted by discocandy View Post
    Nick. I found the torque pretty big on the rotator. so much it was harder to rotate.
    I know this cilinder form of the rotator is very strong so I do not bother to much on braking the RD4 with this but the more in breaking the screw or the inside of the pole.

    what do you think?
    by looking at the size, your base will not be as rigid as a heavy duty tripod. So it should be quite safe to use it. The pole will fall before the stress is enough to cause damage to the pole base or rotator. Remember to brace the pole with your hand.

    Nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  10. #10

    I will never let go of the pole.. would not trust it. it is just to put my feet on and keep it steady.

    some other people asked my how I made this addon. here some images of the rig.

    unscrew the botom of the pole

    M6 female to 3/8 male thread on the RD4

    Botom srew is made for a demolished quick release plate I had.

    Next try will be using the Quick Mount Mini Adapter Clamp on the botom. for this.. see if it can be tightend enough for the rotator
+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts