Mounting camera in landscape orientation?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mounting camera in landscape orientation?

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

Just a quick shot:

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...%20NN5_NN3.zip

Cheers,
    Heinz

BTW: NN5 after thousands of shots. Still working fine.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-25-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Heinz, many thanks for taking and posting those pictures. They motivated me to see what I could achieve with the gear I already have (NN5 + Kirk L-plate for D700 with battery grip + Kirk screw clamp).

I got it all set up successfully, but I also verified that many of my initial concerns were correct.

The good news:

- the Kirk screw clamp could be mounted very securely to the base of the NN Camera Mounting Plate, just using the supplied NN brass screw. I had worried that it might twist, but it seems solid. Nick's suggestion to use a hex screw and maybe a sheet of cork/leather would allay any fears - but I'm not sure if they're necessary.

- the D700 + grip + base of CP2 + Kirk clamp + Kirk L-plate will fit the span of the lower rail. But only just when the camera is vertical. If I was going to pursue this exact set-up, I would want to get one of the thinner NN base plates. (Actually, I think I want one anyway.)

Not-so-good news:

- I think the D700 + grip is a too heavy for the NN5. There's quite a lot of flex, and levels are lost. This is partly due to the extra weight, but also the extension of the centre of gravity. I'm sure it's usable, but not ideal.
    - When in landscape orientation, there is extra flex added from the L-plate
    - The Kirk screw clamp is fiddly to tighten at my upper rail settings (between 36 and 80mm) - and would be even fiddlier with a thinner base plate. I think the NN Arca clamp would be similarly fiddly. I need a quick quick release!
    - The Kirk clamp and L-plate have no index marks.

I think a partial solution is what I had already figured out (but it's good to test nevertheless):

- Use the D700 without grip
    - Use an RRS L-plate as it has index marks
    - Use an RRS lever clamp, as it's quick, secure, and has index marks
    - Use a thin NN base plate, to shorten the centre of gravity.

A more thorough solution would be to replace the D700 with a smaller and lighter camera - maybe Nikon's new D7000. But I don't have the budget for that at the moment.

Cheers

Elliot
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by elliot_n View Post
    - I think the D700 + grip is a too heavy for the NN5. There's quite a lot of flex, and levels are lost. This is partly due to the extra weight, but also the extension of the centre of gravity. I'm sure it's usable, but not ideal.
    - When in landscape orientation, there is extra flex added from the L-plate
    - The Kirk screw clamp is fiddly to tighten at my upper rail settings (between 36 and 80mm) - and would be even fiddlier with a thinner base plate. I think the NN Arca clamp would be similarly fiddly. I need a quick quick release!
    - The Kirk clamp and L-plate have no index marks.

I think a partial solution is what I had already figured out (but it's good to test nevertheless):

- Use the D700 without grip
    - Use an RRS L-plate as it has index marks
    - Use an RRS lever clamp, as it's quick, secure, and has index marks
    - Use a thin NN base plate, to shorten the centre of gravity.

A more thorough solution would be to replace the D700 with a smaller and lighter camera - maybe Nikon's new D7000. But I don't have the budget for that at the moment.

Cheers

Elliot
    Hi Elliot,

a better solution is to upgrade to the new Ultimate M1. As a NN5 customer, you get $100 discount. We are treating the first batch as pre-production units and offer 25% discount. You can reuse the RD16. so by paying a little extra, you can get a much better, stronger Arca Swiss Compatible pano head.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

I thought you'd say that! And I'm sure you're right. It looks a lot more stable.

But first I want to make my money back on the NN5.

Also the fixed 7.5 degree click stops on the upper rotator of the Ultimate are a problem for me. For different focal lengths I need a variety of degrees of vertical rotation (10, 12.5, 17.5, 20, 25, and 30 degrees). Manual rotation of the upper rotator suits me better for now.
    Users Country Flag

I respect all answers right now having their own sense, there are "many ways to Rome".

Respecting all your aspects Elliot, I feel right now try to use your equipment and add an Ez-Leveller II to compensate the torque. Easy to use and helping a lot. May be you should change to L-Bracket without grip to reduce torque. But believe me, D3 with Big Boy lenses 14-24 on NN5 in portrait mode never ever got me into trouble. I use the brilliant NN Nadir adapter as Add ON, which sets more torque to the equipment, Ez-Leveller II, and on you go.

Just try to find the right equipment. But it really might be a great decision to change from D700 to D7000. Fx to DX. Feel free to ask and may be I can send you samples.

There is always a moment for a compromised and an optimal solution. Depending on our own money related world wide reductions, and the amount of money we like to spend on this theme. Should be always some money left to invite your girlfriend/wife/relationship for a nice dinner to enjoy life besides panography!

Use forums to sell your equipment, I am sure you will sell NN5 very soon.

Cheers,
    Heinz

BTW: your experienced up to date reseller in UK:

UK Nodal Ninja Distributor
    My eCommerce Store: www.360tacticalvr.com
    My eBAY UK Store:http://stores.eBay.co.uk/360tacticalvr
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-26-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Heinz, I'm currently using a Manfrotto 410 geared head beneath the NN5/RD16.

I've just shot some test stitches (3x3 grid) with the camera in landscape orientation. It works well.

I use the Manfrotto 410 to level the camera (rather than the NN5/RD16) - i.e. I compensate for the slight droop from the NN5. Spirit level in camera's hotshoe is level (for the central shot in 3x3 grid). I'm not interested in the bubble level on the NN5. I use the centre shot as an anchor in PTGui, and all works out well (i.e. level).

Manfrotto 410 is not the most stable base for the NN5 (need to wait 3 seconds for vibration to die down, compared to 1.5 second when RD16 attached direct to tripod). But fine control of camera orientation is excellent.

Regarding FX vs DX, I've been looking at Canon's new 18mp EOS 600D. Very lightweight - 570g, compared to D700 at 1085g and D7000 at 780g. And it's Live View is intriguing - when you take a picture the exposure is initiated electronically (no shutter movement) - the shutter only moves to end the exposure - so effectively a great, vibration-free mirror up system.

For now though I stick with D700.
    Users Country Flag

Elliot,

nice to know that you succeeded. Thx for letting us know.

When you think about a new tripod, have a look to www.Feisol.com

Good luck,
    Heinz

Update.

I finally got my NN5 configured to my liking.

I'm now using it on paying jobs.

I shoot 3x3 80mp stitches with my Nikon D700 in portrait and landscape orientations.

For framing, and for reference, I take a single frame shot of the scene I'm about to stitch.

The set-up requires two clamps and two plates from RRS.

From the bottom up:

Tripod: Manfrotto 55 (with long or short column)
    Levelling Base: Acratech
    Head: Manfrotto 410
    Clamp: RRS B2 LR II (attached to the Manfrotto's QR plate - which is now redundant)
    Plate: RRS TH-DVTL Round Dovetail Plate (a great fit for the NN RD16)
    Rotator: NN RD16
    Pano Head: NN 5
    Clamp: RRS B2-40 LR
    Plate: RRS BD700 L-plate for Nikon D700 without grip
    Camera: Nikon D700 + 24-85 zoom and 80-200 zooms

- The RRS clamps are lever release, so quick to operate.

- The RRS L-plate is indexed in both orientations.

- To shoot in landscape orientation, the RD16 is separated from the tripod head and rotated 180 degrees. (Why not just rotate the RD-16? The click stops don't line up). The NN5 upper arm is then flipped 180 degrees.

- The second RRS clamp is attached to the NN camera plate, on the NN5 upper arm. As per Nick's suggestion, a piece of leather is used, and a hex screw. This seems like a strong enough connection.

Cheers

Elliot
    Last edited by elliot_n; 06-17-2011 at 04:26 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Thx for letting us know Elliot,

You got "Really the Right Stuff", I like the clamps and rails. Just got an L-bracket for D300s for demonstration purposes and to test different set ups. But as well it is "really quite expansive". But you get something rock solid for your money.

Enjoy our work, and sucess for finding payed jobs to earn your money back.

Cheers,
    Heinz
+ Reply to Thread