Mounting camera in landscape orientation?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mounting camera in landscape orientation?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Mounting camera in landscape orientation?

Hi

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a NN5/RD16. In the meantime I'm testing out stitching with a friend's Manfrotto 303.

My intention is to make high res rectilinear images - no panoramas, or 360VR tours. Software: PTGui Pro.

After testing for a few days I've established a nice workflow for shooting portrait format images. Camera (D700) mounted vertically. Shoot a reference frame (to establish crop) with a 24mm lens. Swap 24mm lens for a 50mm, shoot centre frame, then 8 around - so a grid of 9 images (3x3).

I'd like to use the exact same workflow for shooting landscape format images, but this would require mounting the camera in landscape orientation. I know the NN5 is not intended to be used like this, but could it be adapted in some way? I'm looking at the Kirk L-plate on my D700 - the plate is on the wrong side of the camera for the NN5, but maybe I could mount the camera upside down?

Note - I fully understand that stitched landscape format images can be shot with the camera in it's default vertical position. But I'm curious to see if I can get my workflow identical (3x3 grid) for portrait and landscape images. (Capturing a decent single frame reference image, prior to shooting the stitched components, is important for me - at least whilst I'm learning the intricacies of PTGui.) I also realise that if I can get this working, the NN5 settings will be different for vertical and horizontal camera orientations.

Thanks

Elliot
    Users Country Flag

Elliot,

Sorry to say, it makes no sense for me to use the NN5 in landscape mode. Normally we shoot in portrait mode.

Anyway...yes, you can give the NN5 a set up in landscape mode by just using the lower rail for landscape orientation. Do not mount the vertical rail.

May you can use this L plate visa versa turned around to the right side. Check the rim.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...odyMCL&key=cat

Check if it is long enough to mount it to the camera mount screw. When you use this arca style L-bracket, you have to use the NN Arca style quick release clamp on the upper rail of NN5 instead of CP-2. Check the length of the lower rail for this construction. Normal LRS = Lower Rail Setting for D700 is 61.

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-06-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Hi

Now that I have a NN5 in my hands, it seems to me that it is possible (though perhaps not desirable) to mount the camera in landscape orientation on the upper arm. I have this Kirk L-plate for the Nikon D700 + grip:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/L-Bracket_f...th_MB-D10.html

To mount the camera in landscape orientation, the NN upper arm needs to be orientated to the left of the camera. I've tried this out with a Kirk clamp attatched to the arm. This doesn't work well, as the Kirk screw gets in the way of the arm. But I think it would work with the NN Arca-style clamp.

Notes:

- there's no point using the D700's battery grip with this setup (adds unnecessary torque), so I think it would be better to get an L-plate designed for the D700 body only.
    - the Kirk plates do not have any reference lines marked on them to get the plate centred in the clamp. I think RRS L-plates have this line, so they would be a better option.
    - the introduction of an L-plate does add a bit of undesirable flex to the system.
    - the NN rails will have to be re-adjusted for NPP as the camera is flipped from vertical to horizontal.

Why bother? When the desired final stitched image will be in landscape orientation, this setup makes it possible to get a sharp, single-frame reference shot, taken at the exact same position as the final stitched image.

Thoughts?

Elliot

The RRS L-plate I have in mind, with markings to align with centre of lens:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...o-grip&key=ait

Would the RRS L-plate I linked to in the preceding post work with the NN Arca style clamp? I'm thinking that it would fit, but that it wouldn't allow any stop plates to be used - so visually align, then tighten well, otherwise camera will drop to ground! I already have the NN QR clamp for Manfrotto style plates, but in my experience Manfrotto plates twist over time. The Arca style plates from Kirk, RSS etc. (whether L-plates or not) are designed for specific camera bodies and are therefore anti-twist. The lack of anti-twist with the Manfrotto plates seems like a potential weak point...
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by elliot_n View Post
    Would the RRS L-plate I linked to in the preceding post work with the NN Arca style clamp? I'm thinking that it would fit, but that it wouldn't allow any stop plates to be used - so visually align, then tighten well, otherwise camera will drop to ground! I already have the NN QR clamp for Manfrotto style plates, but in my experience Manfrotto plates twist over time. The Arca style plates from Kirk, RSS etc. (whether L-plates or not) are designed for specific camera bodies and are therefore anti-twist. The lack of anti-twist with the Manfrotto plates seems like a potential weak point...
    why not buy a RRS lever clamp? You can mount it to the camera mounting plate.
    BTW, I have some prototypes of new QR clamp for the Ultimate lines for sales. It has center line and safety pin.
    Maybe I should list them in the store.

Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 11-13-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

I already have a Kirk screw clamp that I think I could attach to the NN camera mounting plate. But looking at the shapes of both the Kirk and RRS clamps, I don't think it would be possible to use the lip on the NN camera mounting plate for its anti-twist purpose. Kirk or RSS custom camera plate + NN arca clamp would seem to provide a better anti-twist mechanism (?)
    Users Country Flag

I already have a Kirk screw clamp that I think I could attach to the NN camera mounting plate. But looking at the shapes of both the Kirk and RRS clamps, I don't think it would be possible to use the lip on the NN camera mounting plate for its anti-twist purpose. Kirk or RSS custom camera plate + NN arca clamp would seem to provide a better anti-twist mechanism (?)
    you don't need the anti-twisting feature. You can mount the clamp to the camera mounting plate without touching the lip. You can use a screw driver to tighten the screw. If you QR clamp has countersink for installing a 1/4" screw, you can use a hex screw to mount the clamp to the camera mounting plate very strongly.
    eg. http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...%2f-dual-mount

This is how you can do that:
    1. remove the anti-twisting plate by removing the fixing screw.
    2. remove the camera mounting (brass) screw at the base.
    3. mount the QR clamp to the socket from which the camera mounting screw was removed.

Nick

Fanotec

Hi, whilst I'm here updating another thread, I'd like to resolve this one.

I definitely want to try shooting my D700 in landscape mode with the NN5/RD16 (for 3x3 mosaics).

I'll be ordering an L-plate for my D700 (no battery grip) from RRS.

Which of these RRS QR lever clamps is the most suitable (the one Nick recommended in the previous post is sold out)? Do I need to buy just the clamp, or additional screws/glue etc?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...ampsLR&key=cat

Is it important that I also get this plate from Nodal Ninja?

http://store.nodalninja.com/products...%7D4-inch.html

Thanks for any help.

Elliot
    Users Country Flag

Hi Elliot,

to get me on the riding horse, you already own or think to gat an L-Brackett for D700:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...o-grip&key=ait

Right?

The only thing to fix the camera in landscape mode is the NN Arca Style Clamp.

http://store.nodalninja.com/products...ase-Clamp.html

Mount it to take the left side of your bracket in vertical direction to lip in the rail. You have to change the whole NN5 system to the left, - vertical rail - and having done his, turn over the upper rail 180° to the back to face you. Than mount your camera to the NN Arca Style Clamp in landscape mode using the left side of your L-Brackett looking through the viewfinder. Simply as that. This way you can use the upper rail and NPP in normal use, at 0°, tilt up or down if needed. Otherwise you only have to use the lower rail not being able to tilt. This will ask the other clamps.

Did I understand you in the right way?

Regards,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-24-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Hi Heinz

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think you've understood what I want to do. For shots with the camera in landscape format, I'll spin the RD16 180 degrees, flip the top rail 180 degrees, reset the the NPP on the lower rail, and attach the camera in landscape orientation.

I already have a Kirk L-plate and Kirk screw clamp for my D700, so in theory I should be good to go.

However:

- My Kirk L-plate is for the D700 with battery grip. For use on the NN5 I'd prefer to forgo the battery grip (unnecessary weight/torque).
    - My Kirk L-plate does not have any lens index marks, so would be hard to align accurately.
    - My Kirk screw clamp is fiddly to operate on the NN5, as the screw is close to the NN5 upper rail. I need to be confident that the clamp has really clamped, as otherwise the camera will drop to the ground!

I think the answer to the above concerns is:

- an RRS L-plate for Nikon D700 without battery grip. The RRS plate has lens index marks.
    - an RRS lever clamp.

Why not the NN Arca Style Clamp? If I remember correctly (the NN site is down at the moment) the NN clamp does not index marks (instead it uses a stop, but that won't work with L-plates). Also, I have the NN Universal QR clamp, and I find the spring-loaded screw quite fiddly to operate. I think the RRS lever clamp might be; quicker, more accurate, more secure (and more expensive!)

In my previous question I was hoping to tap Nick's knowledge to find out to exactly which RRS lever clamp (there are 6 of them), and NN plate (there are 2 of them), I should get.

Also further up the thread Nick said:

'why not buy a RRS lever clamp? You can mount it to the camera mounting plate.
    BTW, I have some prototypes of new QR clamp for the Ultimate lines for sales. It has center line and safety pin.
    Maybe I should list them in the store.'

So I'm also wondering if this new NN clamp might be appropriate to my needs, and whether it could be fitted to the the NN5?

Cheers

Elliot
    Last edited by elliot_n; 03-25-2011 at 05:23 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi Elliot,

wo grip would be this http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...o-grip&key=ait

But once again: we need to connect your camera in landscape mode, L-Plate in place, to the left side of your camera. The only thing you miss, is the connection to the upper rail. This is done by using the NN arca style clamp, mounting it "upside down" means turned by 90º so that the clamp can take an L-plate slipping in in vertical directions. The NN arca style clamp has center marks, both for you L-Plate as well on the opposite side for your upper rail setting. The silver stop plates can be moved out of the way. I already used it with normal longer wimberley and kirk plates.

I think, you should just get an NN Arca style clamp, and on you go. You can leave your kirk clamp for use on a monopod or tripod. And leave the NN clamp on the upper rail of NN5. I even dare to say you could just use the Kirk D700 L-plate you already own and give this combination a try. There should be room enough on the lower rail: NN Arca Style plate adds around 12mm plus depth of L-Bracket, LRS is 61 with my equipment. Result: a lot of money in your pocket for the L-bracket without grip? A nice meal or a EZ-Leveller II if you do not have one?

This is how I would try to solve the problem. But may be there is a mistake in my thoughts which I did not check till now. Did I explain it in a way you can understand me? I don' have a L-bracket so I can not send a picture. But I tried the procedure with my wimberley plate.

Regards,
    Heinz

BTW: Just took my kirk clamp to check it on the NN5 upper rail. The screw knob is too thick to work without problems. To fix your camera to the NN Arca Style clamp, you have to fix it with the handle to the opposite side of the upper rotator. Then bring it to the far end of the rail. Now you can use its handle, lift to move the position, in a range of 180º to center and fix your camera. Then go back to URS, and feel happy.

You could replace the small silver stop plate of the NN clamp with a new self made one, which should stop the inner side of the upper frame part of the L-Bracket to the center position. An S- or L-shape for example. Moved in once you have passed the lower frame part of the L-Bracket.
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 03-25-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi, whilst I'm here updating another thread, I'd like to resolve this one.

I definitely want to try shooting my D700 in landscape mode with the NN5/RD16 (for 3x3 mosaics).

I'll be ordering an L-plate for my D700 (no battery grip) from RRS.

Which of these RRS QR lever clamps is the most suitable (the one Nick recommended in the previous post is sold out)? Do I need to buy just the clamp, or additional screws/glue etc?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...ampsLR&key=cat

Is it important that I also get this plate from Nodal Ninja?

http://store.nodalninja.com/products...%7D4-inch.html

Thanks for any help.

Elliot
    I think this is the right clamp.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...0-screw&key=it

you can use a hex screw to mount the clamp to the camera mounting plate very strongly.
    This is how you can do that:
    1. remove the anti-twisting plate by removing the fixing screw.
    2. remove the camera mounting (brass) screw at the base.
    3. mount the QR clamp to the socket from which the camera mounting screw was removed.

add a piece of leather or corksheet or rubber as friction material if the clamp has the tendency to loosen.

no need to buy a 1/4" rail plate.

Nick

Fanotec

Thank Heinz. You fully understand what I'm trying to do.

And it's true - I'm probably a little over eager to splash money on what I think might be the optimum QR solution. (RRS have no UK dealers, so if I order anything from them, I need to get it right.)

Over the weekend I'll do some tests with Kirk L-plate and clamp that I already own.

And I'll have another look at the NN Arca clamp as soon as the NN website is up and running.

(Bottom line - I'm very happy with NN5 and RD16. Just a little frustrated configuring the additional bits (tripod, head, leveller, quick release etc). Hmm, it's a shame the NN5 is discontinued. I just read the Ultimate upper rail only rotates in 7.5 degree increments. For my purposes (3x3 mosaics with different focal lengths) I need 10, 12.5, 17.5, 20, 25 and 30 degrees upper rail rotation - all straightforward with the NN5.)

Cheers

Elliot

Thanks Nick and Heinz. I think I have enough info now to proceed. I'll report back.
+ Reply to Thread