Mounting the lens ring onto the Nikkor 10.5

Thread: Mounting the lens ring onto the Nikkor 10.5

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Mounting the lens ring onto the Nikkor 10.5

Hello

I have just taken a preliminary look at my newly purchased lens ring before mounting it onto my Nikkor 10.5mm 1:2.8 G ED lens. It looks to be a straightforward enough task, but before I proceed I have a couple of questions, please -

1. I seem to remember some time ago seeing a post - on this forum I think - which detailed the correct procedure. However, I can't find it now, so maybe I am mistaken. If it does exist, would someone be so kind as to point me to it, please?

2. On the lens, the gold coloured lettering on the panel which contains the focus setting window is raised such that it is proud of the remainder of the lens barrel by a small amount - looks to be about 0.5mm. I am concerned about the lens ring pressing directly down onto this panel when I tighten the clamp. I am thinking of cutting a strip of thin card to pad out the rest of the barrel to a slightly greater height to prevent this. Any thoughts on this, please?

Kind regards

Andrew
    Users Country Flag

Hi Andrew,
    welcome to the forum.

I use the 10.5 with the lens ring since a long time. I keep it on the lens even when I use it with NN3 or NN5. Nothing happens to the window when you adapt the ring in the right way. I have tested this with several lenses like Sigma 8mm, Samyang 8mm as well as with 16mm/f2.8.

With all these different types and rings I never damaged a lens.

Have a look to the manual: http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/R1_QRG.pdf.

Kind regards,
    Heinz

BTW: please always try to add camera, lens, and NN equipment used infos to future questions. No need in this case. But for further infos
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 11-04-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks, Heinz, for your prompt and reassuring reply.

The file R1_QRG.pdf contains exactly the information I thought I remembered. Thanks for pointing me to it - silly me for not thinking of looking there first!

Kind regards

Andrew
    Users Country Flag

That's life Andrew.

Same things happen to me.

Feel free to ask.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    2. On the lens, the gold coloured lettering on the panel which contains the focus setting window is raised such that it is proud of the remainder of the lens barrel by a small amount - looks to be about 0.5mm. I am concerned about the lens ring pressing directly down onto this panel when I tighten the clamp. I am thinking of cutting a strip of thin card to pad out the rest of the barrel to a slightly greater height to prevent this. Any thoughts on this, please?
    Nodal Ninja lens rings are designed with special attention to safety of lens. The contoured plastic insert and large contact areas will help to reduce stress on the lens barrel. So far, I have not heard of any report of lens damage due to use of our lens rings. If the rasied panel/plate on lens is more than 0.5mm, the plastic insert will be cut to compensate it. This is done to keep the NPP error less than 0.5mm and also provide better grip for the lens.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.