NN3 or NN5?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 or NN5?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. NN3 or NN5?

So I've been thinking about buying a multi-row pano setup for a long time, mostly to experiment with gigapixel-type images...I spend a lot of time in places where opportunities for such images abound. The RRS setup is awesome, but quite expensive, and the Gigapan Epic Pro is convenient but also expensive and not so easy to carry...so I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to the NN3mkII or the NN5L (unless NN comes out with the NN5 replacement very soon). I need advice on which to get.

My camera is a Sony SLT-A33. I have a Zeiss 16-80 and a Minolta 100-400, although I'll probably pick up a Sony 55-200 for panoramas if I find that I want to go longer than 80mm frequently. I want to be able to use the Arca-Swiss clamp, which is why I think I might need the NN5...the A33 is small, but it's still SLR-sized.

Also, with regard to tripods...I have a Gitzo 1940 now. It should hold the weight of the A33, 16-80, and NN5 with no problem, but do I need to worry about stability? I had been thinking about upgrading to a Gitzo 2940LVL, so I'd have a sturdier tripod AND leveling capability, but I like the size of the 1940 and would rather keep it if I can...
    Last edited by adam; 11-02-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Hi Adam,
    Welcome to the forum. The NN5Lx starter pkg (factory irregular) would be best model for you. It is priced at only $294.95 and as full 2 year warranty. It will support all your gear plus give you a little room to grow (battery grips, quick release systems, different lenses etc).
    It is a proven model with many happy users. On tripods we have a great thread on what others are recommending: http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...omical-tripods

Hope this helps.
    Bill

I thought the NN5L would be the right thing, so thanks for confirming. I ordered the starter package and the Arca-Swiss clamp...hopefully it'll get here by the weekend.

I'm not terribly interested in "economical" tripods...hence the fact that I have a Gitzo tripod and a low-end camera :) But some of the ones they're talking about are less stable than the one I have, so it should be fine...
    Users Country Flag

Adam,

Just an additional info. I have played around with different tripods, Manfrotto, Gitzo. Now my favorite is www.Feisol.com for Tripod and Monopod. Rock solid, Pro quality, good price, and light as a MacBook Air. Many thx to a dutch colleague to focus our view to it. CT-3372LV and CM1471. For R1 I use Gitzo GT 1541T.

So, if you ever might think to change your tripod/monopod, might be worth to have look to the feisol site.

Regards,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    So, if you ever might think to change your tripod/monopod, might be worth to have look to the feisol site.
    Gotta get me one of those! The photo cart I mean.... Ahem...

Badders
+ Reply to Thread