Does your tripod have a removable center column?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does your tripod have a removable center column?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Does your tripod have a removable center column?

Users Country Flag

I am designing an adapter for mounting poles safely to a tripod. The design will be simpler if the tripod has a removable center column. I am not sure how many % of tripod has this feature. It will be a great help if you can tell your tripod model and whether it has this feature.
    thx in advance.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Manfrotto 755B - centre column removable: yes.

John

Nick

I really like the idea though I suspect you're not going to get very far due to the sheer variety in tripod designs. Here are the ones I'm familiar with

Manfrotto 055Pro - removable centre column but it's shaped. The newer model with the the tilting (horizontal) column probably won't work.

Feisol Tournament CT3442 - removable centre column option. John Nevell at FeisolUK has advised the inner replaceable centre disc piece comes in different diameters depending upon tripod model.

Gitzo series 3 Mountaineer's GT35X1 - these come with centre columns and the whole assembly may be removable? The Systematic versions don't come with any centre column. Gitzo's range is very confusing to look at as they use similar model numbers.

TBH you're probably better off designing (in conjunction with someone like Feisol????) you're own range that could act as a normal tripod, but with the added bonus of providing a pole adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I am designing an adapter for mounting poles safely to a tripod. The design will be simpler if the tripod has a removable center column. I am not sure how many % of tripod has this feature. It will be a great help if you can tell your tripod model and whether it has this feature.
    thx in advance.

Nick
    If you think that designing a mounting plate for cameras with off center tripod holes is hard, you aint seen nothing yet until you try to make a universal center column for tripods.

I have 4 different tripods and all of them have different center columns. And two of them are triangular.

Good luck!

DD

Nick:
    That thought occurred to me recently, that your pano pole would fit inside my Feisol, but mine is 28mm and the pole 32mm. With a rotator on the bottom and a tripod with a 32mm hole it could be a very stable setup.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by waters View Post
    Nick:
    That thought occurred to me recently, that your pano pole would fit inside my Feisol, but mine is 28mm and the pole 32mm. With a rotator on the bottom and a tripod with a 32mm hole it could be a very stable setup.
    very few tripod will have center column larger than 32mm. For the Series 2 pole, the largest tube is 43.5mm. Placing a pole inside a tripod will have very limited compatibility. What I want to do is to add another column parallel to the center column.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Nick, I'm interested in such an item. I own a Manfrotto 3021BPRO
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    thx in advance.
    Yes. I have a Benro C298EX Flexpod.

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_C-298EX.html

Carbon fiber column is round and ~27mm diameter.

Judy Arndt
+ Reply to Thread