Basic Set Up

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basic Set Up

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Basic Set Up

I have just got my R-D16 and I'm wondering how to set it up to find the correct nodal point.
    I apologise in advance if this sounds like a dumb question but I would like to get it right from the start.

I understand the principle and my first pano is of a house, to capture it I need to be inside the trees/hedge line which is about 30' away from the building. Using a 5D mk11 with either a 17-40 or 24-105 (not sure which one you would suggest) in portrait mode I intend to take a series of pics left to right at two levels. I believe I need two points one in the foreground (though at a short distance I'm not quite sure what I'm going to find)and the other perhaps a window etc. Does this need to be in the centre of the frame or to one side? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Users Country Flag
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 10-31-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtspc View Post
    I have just got my R-D16 and I'm wondering how to set it up to find the correct nodal point.
    1. Mount the camera/lens on the upper arm and tilt the upper arm to the vertical so you're looking directly down onto the lower arm and pivot point
    2. Turn on Live view and grid display
    3. Move the upper arm left/right until the black and white "pizza slices" of the logo on the rotator sits in the exact centre of the viewfinder
    4. Turn the upper arm back down so you are pointing the camera/lens towards the horizon.
    5. Position the NN5 on a tripod so you have a vertical line directly in front of the camera (2 feet distance is fine) with the vertical line positioned in the exact centre of the viewfinder. You also need a second line further away with both lines just touching each other. I use a doorframe of my office and a wall edge in a corridor down the hall.
    6. Rotate the upper arm left/right while looking through the viewfinder and as you move the nearest line to the left/right edges of the frame you should see the line furthest away either disappearing behind the nearest line or moving away from the nearest line and a gap appearing between them.
    7. Adjust the camera position on the upper arm a little forward/backwards and repeat until you see no movement between the two lines.

Lock everything down and make a note of the settings! Should take you about 5-10 mins max from start to finish.

Badders

Thanks to you both I know have a far better idea of which direction to take.

Paul
  5. Samyang 8mm settings

Users Country Flag

Hi,
    What would be correct setting on NN5 with Samyang 8mm and D300 body to achieve correct NPP.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
    What would be correct setting on NN5 with Samyang 8mm and D300 body to achieve correct NPP!
    Try these links first:

http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162
    http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

See if you can get your own settings yourself and feel a warm glow of self satisfaction...

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    Try these links first:

http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162
    http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

See if you can get your own settings yourself and feel a warm glow of self satisfaction...
    The first link is not working.
    Thank you!
+ Reply to Thread