Question about Multi-Row Panos and Arca Swiss mounting system with NN5

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Multi-Row Panos and Arca Swiss mounting system with NN5

Share/Bookmark
  1. Question about Multi-Row Panos and Arca Swiss mounting system with NN5

Hi All,

I've been doing a bit of research on Pano heads and have pretty much settled on the NN5 Starter Package.

I'm using a Nikon D300 with a 16-35 VR lens (or may use my Tokina 12-24mm). The camera currently has a Really Right Stuff mounting plate attached to the bottom. The RRS plate is Arca-Swiss compatible.

I have several questions that I hope someone can assist me with:

1) Since I'm using a cropped DX sensor (sigh, haven't convinced the wife that I "need" the D700 yet) I would like to have the capability of doing multi-row panoramas (but NOT 360 degree panos, more like 120 degrees or so). Will the starter kit allow me to do that?

2) Does the Starter Kit come with an Arca-Swiss clamp so that I can quickly attach my camera to the NN5 arm? Or is this an additional option? If someone could tell me the part number that would be great.

3) I currently have a Feisol Tournament carbon fiber tripod (without a center post for more stability) and one of Markins' larger ball heads using an Arca-Swiss style clamp. Do I need to purchase an additional plate to attach to the bottom of the NN5 head? I see there is an Arca Swiss plate (p/n ARCRP1) that I can get BUT the description says its meant for the bottom of the camera, not the NN5 mount. Or would it simply be wiser to purchase the EZ-Leveler II and remove the ball head when I'm shooting panos? If I have to purchase a RRS MPR-73 plate to work with this setup, it will cost $55 and it may just be worth it to spend the extra $50 and get the EZ-leveler II at that point.

As always, I'm hoping to keep costs down if possible. Thank you for your time.

Regards, Ed

Hi Ed - welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by EdN View Post
    Hi All,
    I've been doing a bit of research on Pano heads and have pretty much settled on the NN5 Starter Package.
    I'm using a Nikon D300 with a 16-35 VR lens (or may use my Tokina 12-24mm). The camera currently has a Really Right Stuff mounting plate attached to the bottom. The RRS plate is Arca-Swiss compatible.
    I have several questions that I hope someone can assist me with:

1) Since I'm using a cropped DX sensor (sigh, haven't convinced the wife that I "need" the D700 yet) I would like to have the capability of doing multi-row panoramas (but NOT 360 degree panos, more like 120 degrees or so). Will the starter kit allow me to do that?
    Yes

2) Does the Starter Kit come with an Arca-Swiss clamp so that I can quickly attach my camera to the NN5 arm? Or is this an additional option? If someone could tell me the part number that would be great.
    Assuming you have an Arca Style Plate you would need the optional Arca Style Quick Release Clamp which mounts onto the rail of the NN5 - http://store.nodalninja.com/products...em-ASCRS2.html

3) I currently have a Feisol Tournament carbon fiber tripod (without a center post for more stability) and one of Markins' larger ball heads using an Arca-Swiss style clamp. Do I need to purchase an additional plate to attach to the bottom of the NN5 head? I see there is an Arca Swiss plate (p/n ARCRP1) that I can get BUT the description says its meant for the bottom of the camera, not the NN5 mount. Or would it simply be wiser to purchase the EZ-Leveler II and remove the ball head when I'm shooting panos? If I have to purchase a RRS MPR-73 plate to work with this setup, it will cost $55 and it may just be worth it to spend the extra $50 and get the EZ-leveler II at that point.
    All pano heads and EZ-Levelers will mount to any tripod or ball head mount using a 3/8 or 1/4 standard threads. I wouldn't advise using a quick release system for mounting a pano head onto the tripod.
    thx
    Bill

Thank you for the quick response Bill. It looks like for future expandibility (i.e. heavier camera/lens combo) I should get the NN5 instead of the NN5L.

I assume that the EZ Leveler II has enough range to level out any tripod irregularities within reason.

Again, thank you for the information.

Ed

Just bought all 3 items (NN5 Starter Kit - Irregular), EZ-leveler II and the Arca-Swiss quick release clamp. Just in time for my trip up to Zion National Park :)

Much thanks, Ed
    Users Country Flag

Hi Ed,

good choice. just some add ons: be sure to have ordered the arca style clamp set, which includes the arca style camera plate as well. As the Feisol is concerned: I use the plate with Ez-Leveller II with NN5, may be you order a second plate so you can go on with the ball head. I use center column for use with Pole.

Use LRS = lower rail setting of 60 for D300 on NN5, test with your own equipment. http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162

http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...ed=1#post32070

Regards,
    Heinz

Thanks Heinz!

Do you think it's possible for me to use the camera plate at the bottom of the EZ Leveler II? I currently have a RRS custom plate for my D300 that I want to keep using if possible.

I ordered this: http://store.nodalninja.com/products...em-ASQRS2.html
    and didn't notice that they gave you the matching camera plate until you mentioned it. Hoping that it would be possible to use the quick release plate on that with my Arca-Swiss clamp on my Markin Ballhead if possible.

My goal is to be able to set everything up as quickly as possible. Thus I'm looking for the quickest ways to assemble and break down the major components of the rig without using any tools and trying to avoid having to unscrew ballheads, etc. Of course, if the whole assembly on the ballhead appears too unstable I will take Bill's advice and skip the ballhead and mount the EZ Leveler II directly to the Feisol tripod.
    Last edited by nick fan; 10-26-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: update URL of ASQRS2
    Users Country Flag

Thanks Heinz!

Do you think it's possible for me to use the camera plate at the bottom of the EZ Leveler II? I currently have a RRS custom plate for my D300 that I want to keep using if possible.

I ordered this: http://store.nodalninja.com/products...em-ASQRS2.html

and didn't notice that they gave you the matching camera plate until you mentioned it. Hoping that it would be possible to use the quick release plate on that with my Arca-Swiss clamp on my Markin Ballhead if possible.

Yes, your can attach a QR plate on the bottom of EZ-Leveler via a 3/8" adapter. You need to use a clamp with screw lock instead of a lever.

nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 10-26-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Ed,

To cut it short: leave your RRS custom plate on D300 body. Add NN arca style clamp to upper rail of NN5. This gives you a QRS system on upper rail.
    Add the Arca Style camera plate below EZ-Leveller II and fix it to a third party Arca style clamp with knob on top of your tripod to get a second QRS below NN5 Ez-Leveller. Or use a fixed version below by adding EZ-Leveller directly to a second Feisol Tripod Plate and change this to the ball head version.

For example: http://www.kirkphoto.com/Universal-Q...se-Clamps.html

As others, I do not like a ballhead below NN / EZ-Leveller.

Using QRS on top of NN5 to be fixed to upper rails, add the thickness of the QRS System to URS: D300 NN5 = 60 + thickness of QRS minus CP-2 Plate. What custom plate are you using?

Cheers,
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 10-26-2010 at 11:09 AM.

That sounds exactly how I was hoping to do it.

I'm using the RRS plate here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...D300-%26-D300S

Luckily I have a standard Arca Swiss clamp with twist (or screw) knob on my Markins head so I won't have to change that one out. If it looks too unstable, of course, then I'll put the EZ Leveller II right on the tripod and be done with it, though.

So it would be 60 + thickness of the QRS clamp - thickness of the RRS camera plate ?

Thanks, Ed
    Users Country Flag

Nearly,

60 - 10mm for CP-2 = 50 + thickness of QRS + thickness of RRS Camera Plate. Just add clamp + plate together to NN5 without camera and measure the distance to NN5 upper rail on it's own.

Pleasure,
    Heinz

OK, I "think" I got that :)

I just got the items and will put it together so I can visualize what you mean. Very solid design - I like how there is no give at all in the unit once its screwed down.

I may have some questions about how to do multi-row Panos also. Wondering if I have to unscrew the clamp on the arm attached to the camera plate to rotate it upwards. Then again...
+ Reply to Thread