why do some panos look different?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why do some panos look different?

Share/Bookmark
  1. why do some panos look different?

I was wondering why some panos look like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/4440840...ool-nodalninja and some panos look like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hot360/...ool-nodalninja

If it has a wavy look like the 2nd link is it because they used a fish-eye lens?

It's in how they are shot and cropped. You could take the second and crop it to look more in shape like the first. The second is also a full 360x180 degree image flattened out which causes distortion at top and bottom. You don't necessarily need a fisheye lens to produce full spherical images like this. Also the first cropped image looks like about a 120x20 degree panorama.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    It's in how they are shot and cropped. You could take the second and crop it to look more in shape like the first. The second is also a full 360x180 degree image flattened out which causes distortion at top and bottom. You don't necessarily need a fisheye lens to produce full spherical images like this. Also the first cropped image looks like about a 120x20 degree panorama.
    oh ok, thanks for the info!
    Users Country Flag

The second is also an example of how not to use "Shadow and highlights" in Photoshop. See the halo around the trees? See how the sky kind of looks dirty? It would appear the person was trying to recover the shadows. If you push the slider too far to the right, you get halos around objects.

yeah i thought it looked a little odd, thanks for the info. I only use lightroom, maybe it has something similar..

The second panorama is also not properly levelled, since the actual horizon is not flat. This is usually easy to correct during the stitching process.

John
+ Reply to Thread