Will the Lens Ring for Tokina 10 to 17mm work on a Tokina 11-16 2.8?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will the Lens Ring for Tokina 10 to 17mm work on a Tokina 11-16 2.8?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Will the Lens Ring for Tokina 10 to 17mm work on a Tokina 11-16 2.8?

I have a NN5 system but is it heavy so I am considering an Ultimate Rx.... I would like to make sure I can use my Tokina 11-16 ...

Quote Originally Posted by LRT2010 View Post
    I have a NN5 system but is it heavy so I am considering an Ultimate Rx.... I would like to make sure I can use my Tokina 11-16 ...
    The Tokina 11-16mm is a rectilinear lens. You can only use it for cylindrical panoramas with a lensring. If such a ring excists.

Hans

Hans, I don't understand .... I am thinking about 1 row horizontal panoramas... my question is whether the Lens Ring for Tokina 10 to 17mm will fit the Tokina 11-16
    There is no specs about the diameter of the ring
    Users Country Flag

Hans, I don't understand .... I am thinking about 1 row horizontal panoramas... my question is whether the Lens Ring for Tokina 10 to 17mm will fit the Tokina 11-16
    There is no specs about the diameter of the ring
    Tokina 10-17mm is a much smaller than 11-16mm F2.8.
    Anyway, all NN lens ring is custom made to fit a specific lens. Unless the lenses have the same shape and size at clamping area, different rings are needed.

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

When you compare the pics of the two lenses, you will realize that Tokina 11-16 has a greater diameter , filter 77mm. You have to compare the clamping area of the two lenses.

http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/R1_QRG.pdf go to tokina 10-17. It seams that the back of the lenses might be similar near lens flange. At least you have to go to see a dealer to test the lens ring on you own lens.

Heinz

Thanks Nick and Hans.... I did exactly that ..compared the diameters of both lenses and realized that it is not doable. Nick, Are you guys planning a ring for Tokina 11-16? It is widely used for Real State and others to make panoramas because its low distortion...in other words, there are lots of them out there. It is actually kind of hard to find, e.g. both B&H and Adorama don't have it in stock.
    Users Country Flag

Just was in my resellers store to pick up pieces. They had both lenses. As you said, it does not work because of diameter. Plus 11-16 has a movable ring which moves forward and backwards exact in the area where the ring will go to.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Thanks Nick and Hans.... I did exactly that ..compared the diameters of both lenses and realized that it is not doable. Nick, Are you guys planning a ring for Tokina 11-16? It is widely used for Real State and others to make panoramas because its low distortion...in other words, there are lots of them out there. It is actually kind of hard to find, e.g. both B&H and Adorama don't have it in stock.
    Sorry, I have no plan to make a ring for this lens. I don't think it will work well. For a lens ring to work well, the lens has to be compact/ short and has region for proper clamping. Remember that the lens are not designed to work with ring clamp. Ring clamp in fact imposes risk of damage to a lens.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Thank you guys...at least I know what to expect..
+ Reply to Thread