Revised version of the tutorial "How to make a spherical 3D panorama with a single camera and a fisheye lens"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revised version of the tutorial "How to make a spherical 3D panorama with a single camera and a fisheye lens"

Share/Bookmark
    Users Country Flag

Hello,

I did one more test to make a spherical 3D panorama with a single camera.

For this one I did 50 shots per each panorama. I think it gave me better stereo effect.

http://www.arbitphoto.com/MPS_3D/tour.html

Best,
    Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryA View Post
    . . . For this one I did 50 shots per each panorama. I think it gave me better stereo effect.

http://www.arbitphoto.com/MPS_3D/tour.html . . .
    Gregory,

That is a nice 3D tour, the result is very good.

Btw, it is not the number of images that makes the 3D effect but the amount of forward shift out of NPP of the lens.

Shooting more images is better because this reduce the parallax errors that are always present when shooting images out of NPP.
    F.e. when shooting a 3D pano with a normal number of 6 images for the round shots you could easily get control point errors of 40 px between the images, the resulting 3D pano would be awful to look at, especially close to zenith and nadir.
    When shooting 10 times more images (60 instead of 6) the parallax error between the images is also 10 times reduced so instead of 40 px the CP errors are 4 px and this is often acceptable.
    More images will almost(*) always give a better result so when in doubt how many images are needed you better shoot the highest number of images you can shoot and process.

(*) When shooting a 3D pano outside you often will take less images then optimum to speed up the shooting time, this will reduce the chance that objects will move in the scene (in an ideal situation objects are "frozen" when shooting a 3D pano with a single camera).

Wim
    Last edited by Wim.Koornneef; 04-01-2014 at 06:44 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hello Wim!

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    You are right, I did 50 shots and I managed to move my camera 2cm forward, compare to my first try.
    So next time, I will try to shift little be more.

Best regards,
    Gregory

Hello Gregory,

This looks really good to me so I feel that you have got a good solution that looks real so I think that if you try and increase the 3D more you may possibly go too far.

All the best, Hugh.