Loving My New Nodal Ninja 3

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loving My New Nodal Ninja 3

Share/Bookmark
  1. Loving My New Nodal Ninja 3

Users Country Flag

I just got my Nodal Ninja 3 and am very impressed! For new users out there considering this, its for sure a 2 thumbs up! Its very solidly built, but also light and very compact.

The "rail stops" make it super easy to get set up quick and accurately.

I had been borrowing a Nodal Ninja 3 from a friend to try it out before I bought my own. He got his about a year ago but there where some slight differences..

1) The new one has a different mounting plate for the Camera. The new one is in 2 parts and I like it quite a bit better. It has a right angle "flange" on the plate, that lets you snug it up against the front of your camera. This make sure the plate is mounted straight on the camera.. On my friends unit you had to eyeball this.. Not a biggy but I did mount it a degree or so off once and it made it slightly harder to stitch the shots. They also include 2 different plates one with a smaller flange and one larger.

2) This one I was not so pleased with.... My friends NN3 came with 4 separate detent rings. Each one with a a different stop set up (6 stops 8 stops etc.)

With my NN3 I only get 2 rings, and they have combined multiple stops on one ring, so you get 6 and 8 stops on the same ring..

Not fond of this AT ALL, as with the the old rings dedicated to a stop, you didn't have to worry about the deg at all.. Just rotate to the next click and shoot. Ya Ya, I know , but when your shooting a LOT of panos in a day, (and using bracketed) then it starts to get a little repetitive... Click, click, click, rotate... click click click rotate... I can see it being a lot easier to make a mistake and shoot one set at the wrong angle..

New rings are as follows.
    Ring 1 side A = 60deg - 6 stops / 45deg 8 stops
    Ring 1 side B = 90deg 4 stops / 120deg 3 stops

Ring 2 side A = 15deg - 24 stops
    Ring 2 side B = Nothing? seems a waist. Wouldn'd it have made sense to put something on here? Whats the most common stop count people use?

Any how I would much prefer to get a dedicated ring for each stop... It couldn't have saved them that much on production to got to 2 rings instead of 4...

Any how that's my only disappointment. If any one has a 6 stop ring they never use, please let me know! :-)
    Users Country Flag

Alex,

The new set comes with less rings, but the price is also reduced.

But you have the choice for 2 new rings for a good price: http://store.nodalninja.com/products...ent-rings.html

So now you can add your special rings for a lower price cause you might not need all rings of the old set.

Regards
    Heinz

BTW what camera lens combi do you use?
    Users Country Flag

Heinz, ya fair enough, the price was cheaper for sure... But.. the product description/images where not updated to reflect the changes in what was shipped..

If I had know at the time of purchase I would probably have ordered the other rings at the time.. Now I would get dinged with a silly shipping charge extra.. Plus I have to order 2 rings when I only want/need the one. At the end of the day I would be paying over $50 for the single ring I need (after shipping and exchange)

Would have been nice to get an option on selecting the rings you wanted when ordering the NN3 as they do when ordering the 2 ring set on your link..

Dont get me wrong. I am supper happy with my NN3! Its a killer product at a great price. Quality/value all the way.

I use a Nikon D70s with Nikkor 10.5 and the NN3 of coarse!
    (also have a Nikon Coolpix P5100/FC-E8 Fisheye/agnos MrotatorA/ on a mono-pod that I use for shots when hiking.)
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Duffield View Post
    Heinz, ya fair enough, the price was cheaper for sure... But.. the product description/images where not updated to reflect the changes in what was shipped..

If I had know at the time of purchase I would probably have ordered the other rings at the time.. Now I would get dinged with a silly shipping charge extra.. Plus I have to order 2 rings when I only want/need the one. At the end of the day I would be paying over $50 for the single ring I need (after shipping and exchange)
    Contact our Canada reseller to buy the optional rings.
    http://www.rosaurophotography.com/

let me know if he doesn't stock it.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Alex,

I totally agree with you. I myself was surprised when I red about your problem. Though I may say I am quite familiar with NN, I did not realize there was a change in the set. And I agree, there is a fault in the picture.

You can order one ring as well. But may be it is a solution you chat with the NN store about this problem when they are online. I feel they will find a good solution for you and your problem. Ask Bill ?

Think about the nadir adaptor, which is a nice option to shoot the nadir. Perhaps you might order the set, adaptor + extra ring, and it is send without extra charge because of lack of information

Regards

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Alex,

I do not understand the issue with the detent rings. Unless you are swapping out different lenses during the day, once you put the detent ring in you will not have a reason to switch it out. The NN3 uses only one side anyway. If you are swapping out lenses, you will be moving the upper rail to match the change in NPP. I think it is brilliant putting a second hole pattern on the back side. Less rings to carry around and keep track of. With your camera/lens, the 6 stop ring should be all you need to use. Does it really matter if there is a second hole pattern on the back side? Your NN3 will function just the same weather or not there is a second hole pattern on the back side of the detent ring.

Dennis
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Duffield View Post
    Ring 2 side A = 15deg - 24 stops
    Ring 2 side B = Nothing? seems a waist. Wouldn'd it have made sense to put something on here?
    Ring 2 side B = Nothing (blank)
    This is one of the setting. It allows you to use any interval according to the index scale. Good for those shooting at <15 deg interval.

Any how I would much prefer to get a dedicated ring for each stop... It couldn't have saved them that much on production to got to 2 rings instead of 4...
    It is not about cost saving but weight saving. Can't imagine why people would prefer weight of 4 rings when 2 will do the job exactly.

Nick

Fanotec

I think you all misunderstand Alex.
    My guess he is using a 4 image lens for example Sigma 8mm but he has not got a dedicated 4 image ring but a combined 4/8 ring meant to choose every second to do 4.
    Thats what he says.

Thats what he means with
    New rings are as follows.
    Ring 1 side A = 60deg - 6 stops / 45deg 8 stops
    Ring 1 side B = 90deg 4 stops / 120deg 3 stops

As you can see that does not make sense.

What he has got must be
    Ring 1 side A = 60deg - 6 stops / 120deg 3 stops
    Ring 1 side B = 90deg 4 stops / 45deg 8 stops

Which means that he has to jump over to make 4 images, something that is a very bad idea.
    Why is not a 4 image stop delivered as standard? I would also protest on that.

Hans
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hansnyberg View Post
    I think you all misunderstand Alex.
    Thanks Hans for clarifying. I see the problem now. Some one at the shipping center must have given you the wrong ring.
    The starter package comes with 15/0, 45/60 (deg) rings. The optional 45,60/90,120 (deg) ring was included instead in your case.
    Contact your reseller to give you the right ring.
    As a matter of fact, the 45,60/90,120 ring was made upper user request. So it is useful for some people.

nick

Fanotec

Alex,

A 45/60 detent ring will be shipped to you on Monday.

Regards,
    Rob van Gills
    Shipping Nodal Ninja
    Users Country Flag

Alex,

that's what I was thinking of when I asked you to contact NN. This is the difference to other brands. They always listen to our problems and offer quick help. Thx Rob, and the NN-Team.

Sorry, but I gave the D70s to my nephew some years ago before I stepped into panos. So I have not settings.

http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162

Regards,

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 09-19-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Users Country Flag

WOW! Thanks to all! "We listen. We try Harder" actually means something!

Any how, I didnt post here to gripe. Supper happy with my new toy, and even more impressed with the responsive service!
+ Reply to Thread