NN3 / Nikkor 17-55mm Setup

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 / Nikkor 17-55mm Setup

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 / Nikkor 17-55mm Setup

Hi everyone,

Sad to see that NN5 is discontinued...

I use a NN3 at the moment and very happy with it. But I have a slight issue: I would like to use it on a D300s with a Nikkor DX 17-55mm. I saw in another post that I should better use a NN5...

What would be the best option? I mostly do multirows panorama...

1. Shoot with parallax errors and correct them in the stitching software
    2. Replacing the upper arm with a NN5 upper arm (is it possible at all ?)

Many thanks for your kind suggestion....
    Last edited by traced; 09-03-2010 at 10:25 PM.
    Users Country Flag

yes, you need NN5 series. NN5L Starter Package irregular is a good choice.

NN5 series parts are not compatible with NN3 series.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

For this combo you have to go for the NN5. The upper rail is too short. D300s with fisheye lenses works fine on NN3 MKII. I will look up my database for D300s with 17-55 later cause it's in the office. D200 needs URS at zoom 17 @134, 35 @ 114. Using an adaptor will give too much torque on the upper rail.

1. I believe you cannot correct such an amount of parallax errors. Just think of the amount of time you have to spend to correct 10 stops in only one row. Pointless.

2. Not possible.

Just get an NN5 RD16 as long as this is possible. Gives you a lot of possibilities for the future. Stepping over to the new line, you still can use the RD 16 rotator with it. One of the most expensive parts of a set. Just add the new rails, and off you go.

Regards,

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

If you can afford it, go for NN5 instead of NN5l. I like this extra support to keep the camera in place. And this works well with D3 70-200, and this is a lot of weight. May be once upon a time you change to another heavier equipment. I think right now Nick has some NN5 irregulars in stock as well?

Sorry Nick.... I already have spent money to get a cheaper version and later I replaced it: tripods, bags,etc.

Heinz

Many thanks for your quick replies...

I will test the market here to see if I can resell my NN3 MKII RD16 for a goode price (I just bought it a month ago !) and then order a NN5 RD16 (hoping some will still be there)...

Olivier
    Users Country Flag

Either ask your dealer to change it or ask Bill for a trade in to upgrade. Or place it on Classified in this forum.

Did I miss something? NN3MKII with RD16 Rotator? Then you only have to get a NN5 without rotator and add it.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 09-04-2010 at 01:17 AM.

You didn't miss anything... but I think it's easier to sell a panoramic head with the rotator. If I just order the NN5 without rotator I will stay stuck with my NN3 (I don't think I need both) ... Maybe a NN5 irregular. Or better, as Nick stated, a NN5 starter package irregular in order to keep the RD16 rotator and mount the standard rotator on the NN3...

Olivier
    Last edited by traced; 09-04-2010 at 06:16 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by traced View Post
    You didn't miss anything... but I think it's easier to sell a panoramic head with the rotator. If I just order the NN5 without rotator I will stay stuck with my NN3 (I don't think I need both) ... Maybe a NN5 irregular. Or better, as Nick stated, a NN5 starter package irregular in order to keep the RD16 rotator and mount the standard rotator on the NN3...

Olivier
    Hmm, NN5 standard rotator does not work for NN3.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Just get the NN5 without and add the NN3 MKII rotator to sell NN3: http://store.nodalninja.com/products...-NN3-MKII.html. Will this be a solution?

Heinz

Yes that could certainly be a solution...

Many thanks for your kind answer. I might wait for the irregular to compensate shipping cost ...

Olivier
+ Reply to Thread