NN5/5L series discontinued

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NN5/5L series discontinued

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN5/5L series discontinued

Nodal Ninja 5 series pano head have been discontinued - once existing stock is depleted they will be unavailable.
    More news to follow soon.
    Bill

an estimated timeframe of end of stock ?

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com

This is difficult question to answer especially to resellers that are trying to plan stock supplies. Also posting public estimates of when we "think" we might run out is not a good idea. Many people plan purchases ahead of time and if we said we will have stock x amount of weeks only to sell out sooner it could disappoint some. And in all fairness we will have to place limits so one reseller doesn't buy up all the inventory further forcing customers to buy from them.

Nick will use and build from existing stock so as to spread the life span of NN5 w/RD16. So this means the first to go will be everything head in the NN5 series with the exception of NN5 w/RD16. And with the exception of NN5 w/RD16 these items are unfortunately no longer available to resellers. What "will" be available (also in limited supply) are what we call "Factory Irregulars". The lower rails may have a bit more dust in paint, a few tiny pores in casting, and small scratches in paint. They are still fully functional and covered by same 2 yr warranty. The factory irregulars for NN5/5L (starter/ rotator packages) will be $30 to $50 lesser expensive.

And just because the Nodal Ninja 5 series has been discontinued doesn't mean we won't have alternate solutions coming out soon like the Modular system (again no specific dates).
    Bill
  4. Why discontinued?

Why discontinued?
    The mold as reached the end of its usable life and can no longer meet the high quality standards Nick strives for and the customers have come to expect. So rather than spending the money to create a new mold Nick is working harder to bring the newer production models online.

Nodal Ninja 5 has been on the market for nearly 3 years and this is like losing a good friend. There are many NN5 users out there and Nick's dedication to fine workmanship as proven itself with less than a .01% return rate from warranty issues. Like NN3 series and the new Ultimate line R1/R10's these heads are built to last for many years. And not worry NN5 users we'll also have replacement parts for just as long should you lose or accidentally break a piece.

Decisions like this don't come easily but as most of you know the Fanotec slogan says it all;
    "We listen. We try harder."
    Wait until you see what's next

Bill

Nick has never disappointed before, I really like my 5 but I'm sure the new one will be interesting. Same timing as the poles? any hints??

NN5 is discontinued -- so maybe an updated design would be opportune? How about this -- the bottom rail is a vertical I beam instead of a horizontal I beam. The pivot point (rotator) is smaller and on the front (toward the subject) side of the I beam. The vertical rail is also rotated 90 degrees to show the narrow side instead of the wide side. It is also a bit taller to move the camera farther away from the pivot so the head is smaller in the picture. Similar arraingment with the tilt pivot which is also smaller. The tilt arm is narrower and thicker for strength and the camera support "elevates" the camera sideways away from the tilt arm.

All this so the head is visually smaller in all the images where the head partially shows in the image.
    Users Country Flag

It is kind of sad. Some unexpected production issues force us to discontinue NN5 series at this early stage. We have plenty of irregulars available. They are very good for money. In fact we could have loosened our quality standard a bit and sold them as regulars. But I don't want to be unfair to new customers. I want them to get the same quality as that mentioned by reviews and early customers.

We are working hard on the Ultimate modular series. But we have even higher quality standard for the Ultimate modular series. It will take a while to get them ready.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    What "will" be available (also in limited supply) are what we call "Factory Irregulars". The lower rails may have a bit more dust in paint, a few tiny pores in casting, and small scratches in paint. They are still fully functional and covered by same 2 yr warranty.
    cosmetic defect can be

dust particle in painting
    OR
    micro pores in casting surface
    OR
    small scratches.

Nick

Fanotec

To bad that the NN5 is discontineud, I am very happy with my NN5 and hope it will last for years.

Nico from the netherlands
    Users Country Flag

sorry to hear about the nn5 being discontinued. i'm a nn3mkii user but intends to upgrade to nn5 as i plan to upgrade my body to 5dmkii. with this news, i can't wait to see what's coming next to nn5.

I feel a little sad about this ending.
    The new "RRS/Arca-style" design will be much, much more expensive and heavier
    unless Nick has another clever idea :-)
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bigwade View Post
    I feel a little sad about this ending.
    The new "RRS/Arca-style" design will be much, much more expensive and heavier
    unless Nick has another clever idea :-)
    The weight of Arca-style pano head will depend on the camera and lens in use.

Fanotec

I'm a new customer, and am concerned by this development because I thought the NN5 was one of your leading products, and expected NN5 to be supported by warranty and replacement parts. I just purchased it two weeks ago, so I'm shocked to see it be discontinued. Is a new comparable model in the works?

I see Nodal Ninjas have a great reputation, one of the reasons for purchasing. I have the RD16 head. I returned to the site only because my Manfrotto RC2 plate released my Nodal Ninja onto the pavement, and I need to order replacement parts.

Specifically, I need the big rubber knob on the NN5 (not NN5L) articulation, which changes the incline of the camera angle. I cannot find the parts store like I found last week for the NN5.
    Last edited by photo enthusiast; 09-11-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by photo enthusiast View Post
    I'm a new customer, and am concerned by this development because I thought the NN5 was one of your leading products, and expected NN5 to be supported by warranty and replacement parts. I just purchased it two weeks ago, so I'm shocked to see it be discontinued. Is a new comparable model in the works?

I see Nodal Ninjas have a great reputation, one of the reasons for purchasing. I have the RD16 head. I returned to the site only because my Manfrotto RC2 plate released my Nodal Ninja onto the pavement, and I need to order replacement parts.

Specifically, I need the big rubber knob on the NN5 (not NN5L) articulation, which changes the incline of the camera angle. I cannot find the parts store like I found last week for the NN5.

No worry for the parts for repair and warranty. We have plenty.
    Just talk to Bill to buy a upper rotator tension knob for NN5-the one with a bearing inside. He will list this knob in the store soon.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

For those who worry about the future of affordable line of Nodal Ninja, we will release a new product in 2011. It is a slightly downgraded "NN5" with fixed 15 deg lock in upper rotator. It works for focal length slightly less than 100mm eq. Those who want to use longer focal length need to grab an NN5 series while still available or buy the new multi-row Ultimate pano heads. As a matter of fact, NN5/5L does not work very well for big tele lenses. These lenses are best served by the Ultimate.

Nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread