Shoot Z/N in NPP with R1/R10? Yes, it is possible with some additional equipment

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shoot Z/N in NPP with R1/R10? Yes, it is possible with some additional equipment

Share/Bookmark
  1. Shoot Z/N in NPP with R1/R10? Yes, it is possible with some additional equipment

Users Country Flag
    Talking

Hello everyone,

is there a possibility to close the gap using R1/R10 for Z/N shots in NPP without stepping over to NN3/NN5 or taking handheld or viewpoint corrected shots?

Yes, I personally have found my solution for this special situation and I feel free to present it to the forum.

Serious comments appreciated.

Regards,

Heinz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0641_R1 Set up.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	81   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0649_Rail Retup for Z-N in NPP.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	82   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0651_NPP Center Column Position.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	83   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0660_Nadir shot in NPP.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	84   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0662_Zenith Shot Setup in NPP.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	85  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0676_Counterweight.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	86  
    Users Country Flag

Hi guys,

some basic shots, uncorrected for CA, etc., exposure chosen for good nadir view, so there are overexposed areas,I know how to shoot a good pano. This one is only to taken to test the workflow in PTGui beta2 by masking and stitching .

Feel free to play around.

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...mNadirTest.zip
    http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...0NNP%20Set.zip
    Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 08-14-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Interesting concept Heinz, but I'd have to say to be quite honest - pointless! I really can't see anyone wanting to go through all the steps needed to do this. Simply too many changes to the setup in terms of hardware swaps and tripod re-positoning for me. Viewpoint correction works fine as shown here:

http://www.360tacticalvr.com/blog/?p=117

But you are right in that the R1/R10 is a great portable product with the one and only flaw (actually two as there's FAR too many lens rings to stock......) being the limitations of zenith/nadir shooting.

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hello everyone,

is there a possibility to close the gap using R1/R10 for Z/N shots in NPP without stepping over to NN3/NN5 or taking handheld or viewpoint corrected shots?

Yes, I personally have found my solution for this special situation and I feel free to present it to the forum.

Serious comments appreciated.

Regards,

Heinz
    Heinz,

I have thought of an adapter for taking zenith/nadir shots for R1/10 many times. However, I fail to come up with a design that the overall setup is more compact than a multi-row pano head such as NN3. So I gave up. For those who need to use a lens ring and take perfect zenith and nadir shots, my next NN Ultimate is the answer.

Trausti has offered an alternative method.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashificator View Post

Here is a pano shot with Olympus E-520 with Zuiko 8mm fisheye used with R1 and EZ leveler on top of a Frankenstein tripod.

http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/Kitchen1

It was tilted 10° down, and one shot 90°up where I raise the center column to make up for the tilting, having drilled a hole in the column and putting a pin through the holes... brings the camera to the correct height in a few seconds... and moving the tripod the few cm's that are needed is normally ok... but can be made better I'm sure.

All in all: R1 is a perfect tool for both outside and inside jobs, especially when the camera height can be regulated as quickly as I do it with the zenith shot.

The only thing that might become an "issue" with R1, is the nadir shot, but until now I have not had any situation I haven't been able to photoshop over, or cover the hole with a nadir cap with a couple of clicks in Flashificator.
    Nick
    Last edited by nick fan; 08-14-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Heinz,

I love seeing people think outside the box. That is how new products are created.

I played around with many ideas while trying to solve the whole "How do I shoot a long exposure Nadir patch shot". One solution that I ended up using for several years (before I made a pano head with the Nadir swivel built in) was

No "tripod gymnastics" involved. Using quick relase plates, it takes seconds to reconfigure the rig from shooting on the pano head to shooting the Nadir.

I have toyed around with the idea of making a miniature pano head that does not allow for a Zenith shot. Using the Sigma 8mm tilted up 5 degrees eliminates the need for a Zenith shot. Since you will not be rotating the camera for the Zenith, no need for a long vertical arm. It would still need a Nadir swivel of some sort. I have not taken test photos yet to see how far you need to move over, so I do not know if it would be practical. Maybe your test photos will provide the answer.

Keep on "thinking outside the box".

Dennis
    Users Country Flag

- pointless!
    For long exposure Nadir patch shots, this would work quite well. I know that I cannot hold the camera still for a 2 second exposure. Whatever gets the job done.
    Users Country Flag

Thx a lot for your responses.

I tried to fill the gap by adding pieces which are already available on the market. I know I do not have to use it in daily situations. I tried to expand the use of the R1 for NPP Zenith shot indoors for real estate for example and long exposure Nadir patch shot. I did not take part in a salsa course to replace my tripod 38cm sideways.

Regards,

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread