Panoramas from my recent visit to Yosemite.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Panoramas from my recent visit to Yosemite.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Panoramas from my recent visit to Yosemite.

Users Country Flag

All done with a Nikon D300, Sigma 8mm, NN Ultimate R1, a monopod and bubble level. Enjoy.

http://www.dlsphoto.net/Yosemite2010/Yosemite2010.htm

Hi Denniss,

Nice picture(s)!! I like to see more details, can you post the same picture with Zoomify?
    Users Country Flag

Zooming most often yields pixelated pictures. It does not add anything unless you caputred your images with zooming in mind. There are two panoramas where I enabeled zooming. You can zoom in on the map in one of the Glacier Point panoramas. Since these images were taken with a Sigma 8mm lens, 4 shots around, zooming does not add anything. Some day I might look into Gigapixel panoramas.
    Users Country Flag

DenniS,

you are really the master of the monopod and handheld nadirs. Works internationally, no matter where you are. In or near the river, on stones, taken the equipment with your bike, at softball-games or at the Louvre in France.

It is already a very big and nice collection that you have.

May I ask what recorder you use for sounds?

BTW: Seacat is very busy in Gigas.

Thx for sharing.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 08-04-2010 at 07:34 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Thanks Heinz.

As pointed out in a nother forum, the colors are all over the place. The weakest part of my workflow is post processing. I can make custom pano heads all day long. I have no problem capturing and stitching. When it comes to Photoshop, I have so very much to learn. Shooting RAW would also help.

I use a Zoom H2 to capture the sounds. $150 at Amazon.com. Don't bother with eBay. People selling the unit there cannot seem to do research. Prices are way too high. The H2 is just a little bigger than a deck of cards. Full 4 channel surround sound recordings from a unit that fits in your pocket.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    All done with a Nikon D300, Sigma 8mm, NN Ultimate R1, a monopod and bubble level. Enjoy.

http://www.dlsphoto.net/Yosemite2010/Yosemite2010.htm
    I love all photos. What an amazing that you do with monopod. I tried with monopod, R10 and Nikon 10.5mm but zenith and nadir stitch can see quality lost where it meets the round shots photos. All your photos are perfect when I look at it. I would appreciate if you write up a how-to article for it.

Wilco
    Users Country Flag

Wilco,

I use 5 degrees of tilt. That is enough to get the Zenith covered.

When shooting, the rotational orientation is not too critical. I eye ball 90 degrees. I start with my back to the sun. I use the monopod shadow as my zero position. Very easy to guestimate 90 degrees.

It is absolutely critical that you hold your rig plumb to the ground. That is where the bubble level comes in.

As to the loss of quality at the Nadir and other shots boundry, that is going to happen. The far edges of the 10.5 are blurry while the center is clear. When you bring in the hand held Nadir shot, you will get a bad seam.

Three ways to handle this:
    1)You can mask less of the Nadir shot and more of the others in order to force this edge further up the "round" shots. Changing the blend priority might help, but I have not tried that.

2) Use Photoshop and apply "blur" to the Nadir shot. It does not take much blur to make the seam invisible. This is what I do.

3) Change your focus setting for the Nadir shot so you do not need to blur in Photoshop. Just remember to set your focus back for the next panorama. I have tried this with limited results. I would rather blur a clear picture than start with a blurry one.

The Yosemite pictures are the result of taking literally hundreads of panoramas over the last year using a monopod. It has gotten to the point that I don't want to take still photos any more while traveling. A monopod is just way too portable and so easy to use, once you practice.

The only tutorial I have can be found at: http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirShadow/index.htm

Thanks for the compliments.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Wilco,
    The Yosemite pictures are the result of taking literally hundreads of panoramas over the last year using a monopod. It has gotten to the point that I don't want to take still photos any more while traveling. A monopod is just way too portable and so easy to use, once you practice.

The only tutorial I have can be found at: http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirShadow/index.htm

Dennis
    Absolutely agree with you. Still photo can only see what is in the frame. With 360, I feel like I am there again. Thanks for the tutorial link. Bty do you use rotator in your monopod setup?

Thanks
    Wilco
    Users Country Flag

No rotator. No way to secure it at zero degrees. It would just add extra weight to the rig. I simply rotate the entire monopod around a point on the ground. If I do everything absolutely correct and accurate, you can see the small indent in the ground at the very center of the Nadir shot where the monopod rotated around. Most times this small mark is off to one side. No big deal, just a very small detail. I do not try to control it, I just look for it.
    Users Country Flag

Hello,

several ways to go to rome/remove shadows from a picture : http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...w-picture.html Under search option you will find some more answers.

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread