How to get screws, nuts, bolts etc for our photographic equipment. BSW style.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get screws, nuts, bolts etc for our photographic equipment. BSW style.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. How to get screws, nuts, bolts etc for our photographic equipment. BSW style.

Users Country Flag
    Lightbulb

Hi guys,

may be there is somebody else out there who wanted to buy a screw to change or build up the equipment.

I found a reseller for this: for my dutch colleagues it is Fabory Nederland, but they work in 15 countries.

www.fabory.com.

Going to the shop itself, you can buy a single screw, no need to buy a pack of 50. A lot of things are in stock, some have to be send to the shop in a few days. You can also get the necessary instruments to drill and cut BSW. To see prices you have to register as customer, cause you can not see them in the online catalogue. Or just call your local dealer.

I think this expands our possibilities beyond the gitzo, manfrotto etc prefabricated few screws on the market.

Regards

Heinz

Hello Heinz,

Sorry for my late response. Your advice is sound, I hope my reply is as good as well.

When you need a simple 1/4" or 3/8" bolt then there is a good chance that you can buy them at a store that sells and repairs motor lawn mowers and agriculture machines, a lot of those machines are made in the US or are using engines made in the US and for repairing those machines all workplaces have some boxes with all kind of US thread stuff.

Wim
    Users Country Flag

Hello Wim,

thx for the hint. But we have to be aware, that photographic equipment does not use US threads. It has to be the special British Whitworth Thread. But I will give it a try next time. I also was told to try a reseller of british Norton motorcycles.

Slecht weer voor panos in dit moment. I do not hope this was it for this year.

Thx Wim,

Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    ....we have to be aware, that photographic equipment does not use US threads. It has to be the special British Whitworth Thread.....
    Hello Heinz,

This is so true, I forgot to mention that the compatibility between both standards is limited, this has to do with the top angle of the thread that is 60 degree for UNC and 55 degree for Whitworth.
    Despite the difference in top angle most UNC bolts will fit without any problem due to the tolerances of the thread.

Wim
    Users Country Flag

The American 3/8 16 and 1/4 no 20 thread re pretty well identical to a british whitworth 3/8 or 1/4 thread

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hello Wim,

thx for the hint. But we have to be aware, that photographic equipment does not use US threads. It has to be the special British Whitworth Thread. But I will give it a try next time. I also was told to try a reseller of british Norton motorcycles.

Slecht weer voor panos in dit moment. I do not hope this was it for this year.

Thx Wim,

Heinz
    Last edited by Terrywoodenpic; 08-26-2010 at 06:04 AM.
  6. needs and ideas

Good info -
    Fanotec uses the most popular thread types but also makes special adapter screws in many cases for popular configurations in its product line. Take the M6 female to 3/8" male thread adapter for advanced rotators for example, which BTW, also has an internal hex screw for tightening. As needs arise Nick is quick to spot the demand and develop a solution. What's needed of course are the voices. If you have a need for a particular part or adapter PLEASE let us know. Our products are built from end user feedback so comments, ideas and requests play heaviliey in product development.
    thx
    Bill

The 1/4-20 NC and 3/8-16 NC screws and taps that are common in the US work perfectly with virtually all photo equipment, and are available in select hardware stores and online in Europe... one of my most versatile tools are 2cm long 3/8 bolts where I cut off the head, using it to connect female tripod/photo parts... I have about 4-5 of them in my camera bag all the time.

As much as I love metric screws (and the metric system in general), the 2 thread sizes above are universal in the photo world, and it would be great if fanotec would start implementing the 3/8 as a universal connector between parts (i.e. the top of the RD16, which I almost would have tapped with a 3/8 if the adaptor screw wouldn't had been available). The bottom of the R1 is another example (needs an adaptor plate at the moment).

joergen
    360nyc.com
+ Reply to Thread