Equipment sanity check for VR

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Equipment sanity check for VR

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Equipment sanity check for VR

After a fair bit of reading in the past few weeks, I think I've managed to work out what I need in terms of hardware.

I currently have a Canon 5D Mk II with Canon 15mm fisheye (EF15), tripod etc.

I volunteer at a steam/railway museum and one of my projects is to create a VR tour of the two Royal Coaches that they have in their collection. Whilst the public can look through some of the carriage windows, they are not permitted inside. Hopefully VR can allow a detailed view from the many compartments inside and make the exhibit more accessible.

Last month I took a series of 8 hand-held test shots (with the EF15) inside the various compartments just to see if the concept was workable - there is a test sequence and stitch at http://bressingham-volunteer.blogspo...and-royal.html. Some of the compartments eg. bathrooms are very, shall we say, "compact" and will prove to be quite a challenge to photograph!

Given I have a larger DSLR and want to be able to use my other lenses in a landscape environment I have opted for the NN5 with RD16 and EZ Leveler II. I'm also considering the nadir adaptor as I will be shooting both zenith and nadir shots to make a complete spherical(?) panorama (I haven't yet started looking at the types and projections in depth - so spherical might be the wrong term).

Does this seem a sensible approach? I did consider other rotators such as the RD8, but the flexibility of the RD16 means that it will get use beyond this project.

I am new to the 360 degree concept (having previously shot in 617 format on film), so there's a fair bit for me to learn regarding stitching techniques and web presentation.

Looking forward to my purchase very soon.

James
    Users Country Flag

Hi James,

welcome to the forum.

Your choice is ok. To be safe for the future, go for the RD16 and add the new Nadir adaptor. Changing an rotator afterwards will cost you a lot of money.

Some guys like to level with the tripod legs, I prefer the Ez-Leveller.

PTGui Pro is a good choice as well as FFC -Flashificator in combination with APP to present your work.

http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

http://www.easypano.com/forum/displa...1&TopicID=4162

http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

After getting used to stitching you might go for bracketing and use PTGui exposure fusion to get a nice pano out of the dark and the highlight areas. You can start this quickly because you are inside and nothing is moving to get ghosts or clouds and trouble with moving people or waving flags while bracketing.

Feel free to ask,

Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Some guys like to level with the tripod legs, I prefer the Ez-Leveller.
    Leveling with tripod legs is just too cumbersome, hence the EZ Leveler

PTGui Pro is a good choice as well as FFC -Flashificator in combination with APP to present your work.
    I have the PTGui trial copy to see how I get on stitching for real. It might be a good few weeks until I'm ready for that as I still have to order the N5 and arrange a suitable time for access.

I am going to have a look at VT Fusion for presentation http://vtfusion.com/blogs/items/nhs-lifestore.html as that sort of thing is exactly what I'm after.

After getting used to stitching you might go for bracketing and use PTGui exposure fusion to get a nice pano out of the dark and the highlight areas. You can start this quickly because you are inside and nothing is moving to get ghosts or clouds and trouble with moving people or waving flags while bracketing.
    Sounds like I might bracket straight off so that I have the frames all ready for HDR when I get some stitching confidence. That said, the coaches are inside where the light levels and contrast are fairly low.

Thanks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoye View Post
    I have the PTGui trial copy to see how I get on stitching for real. It might be a good few weeks until I'm ready for that as I still have to order the N5 and arrange a suitable time for access.
    Also take a look at the trial of AutoPano Giga as an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoye View Post
    Sounds like I might bracket straight off so that I have the frames all ready for HDR when I get some stitching confidence. That said, the coaches are inside where the light levels and contrast are fairly low.
    If lighting isn't too severe then you can shoot single frames in RAW and extract multiple exposures from the same RAW source. Might be a bit easier for you at the beginning.

The NN5 w/R-D16 is a great piece of kit and is perfect for your requirements. Adding the Ez-Leveller will certainly make levelling the pano a lot simpler but it's not 100% essential so you can always add it as a later purchase if needed.

Badders
+ Reply to Thread