CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

Thread: CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

Share/Bookmark
  1. CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

My NN3 came with this:-
    http://www.nodalninja.com/images/CP2_qrg.pdf

I had it permanently fitted to my Canon 350D, but alas I can't leave it on my new 550D as it stops me changing the battery.

The problem on the 550D (aka Rebel T2i) is the distance from the centre of the tripod socket to the battery door is 25 mm, but the distance from the screw to the edge of the CP-2 is 27mm, thus it blocks the battery door...

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ca...ges/bottom.jpg

As a workaround I'll try get hold of the original CP-1, but is there a slightly narrower version of the CP-2 plate assembly available/in the pipeline?
  2. Re: CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

Users Country Flag

cp-1 has the same size of cp2 after the anti-twisting plate is removed. You can check it out before ordering CP1.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

Hi Dave,
    Another option might be using only the square rubber washer. We don't produce these any more because they don't provide for secure mounting and your camera may sag. But that said there are many out there using this rubber washer in older model NN's.
    see: http://store.nodalninja.com/nn3_p/n3-cmk-n-srw.htm

The image shows washer being used with older NN3. Remember we don't recommend this configuration but may offer a solution for your particular needs.

Bill

4. Re: CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

Users Country Flag

I just checked the overhang of the anti twist plate to the base plate. Seems to be 3 mm. So you might be off your battery changing problem by just removing the anti twist plate of the Cp-2. But you have to try to fix the CP-2 without anti twist plate to the camera body. Might be a problem with the screw length. Try yourself.

Sucess,

Heinz
  5. Re: CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    cp-1 has the same size of cp2 after the anti-twisting plate is removed. You can check it out before ordering CP1.

nick
    Yes, the CP-2 without the anti-twisting plate does not obstruct the battery door, but the screw provided is too long to 'meet' the bottom of the camera, and even if it did the surface is too slippery.

So, I'm pretty sure the CP-1 will fit, and here's hoping the cork can grip enough to do a 'quickie' 360 with a fish-eye
    - I can get one from the good people at Red Door VR.

I'll then use the CP-2 for more ambitious shoots that may need the extra stability, and make sure I've got a fresh battery in before I start..!

6. Re: CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

Users Country Flag

The cork will do,

similar grip to the rubber plate.

Regards,

Heinz

7. Re: CP-2 + Canon 550D = can't change battery

Users Country Flag

So, what might be the conclusion of this problem,

Nick, anti twist plates without one side of overhang to get free access to battery compartment, or a hint to order old CP1 for these bodies Bill? Canon guys? Are there more Camera bodies which interfere with the battery compartment with CP-2?

I am sure this "close to the customer company" will have an offer to solve this problem.

Cheers,

Heinz

CP-1 arrived, fits perfectly and securely, battery door unobstructed
    - excellent

...only problem I can see will be other 550D owners wanting a CP-1 too...

You have got to be kidding me?? I just purchased my NN3 and ordered my new camera - the canon 550d, just for shoting panoramas. I came across this thread just now. Why is there nothing on this problem on a official nodal ninja site? I can't find it.

So, you tell me I have to get a new plate for my canon if I want to change batterys without detaching the camera from the plate? The CP-1.

Dave, how long does battery holds?

This is quite frustrating. I waited for my NN3 for two weeks due to slow customs.Now, I have to order a new plate and wait for two more weeks.
    Users Country Flag

The 550D uses a new battery (the LP-E8), which provides 4-level battery life information and is good for around 440 shots using the CIPA testing standard.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

I'm planning to shot a lot. :)

Could you give me the settings for Canon 550d + EF-S 18-55 IS ? Will the settings on the http://www.vrwave.com/ do?

And canon 550d + samyang 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fish-eye ?

Tnans.
    Last edited by dmr; 09-22-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    Users Country Flag

Hi,

will it be a problem to send you one of my old cp-1 plates with an normal envelope with douane or so?

IM your address if you like.

Regards
    Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Demir,

the CP-1 is on it's way.I have send you an IM for further info.

Regards,

Heinz