Which NN for VFX? Using 7D + Sigma 8mm

Thread: Which NN for VFX? Using 7D + Sigma 8mm

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Which NN for VFX? Using 7D + Sigma 8mm

Hey guys

I have a 7D + Sigma 8mm and was wondering what you thought would be a better option for vfx work (IBL), since im using the fisheye on a cropped sensor. The NN5 or the R1?
    I've read suggestions to tilt up 5 degrees to cover the zenith better but obviously this means less coverage on the nadir.

I'm after something that is hopefully repeatable in PTGui and that I won't have to worry about too much when on set.
    I really like the sound of both nodal ninja products, however i'm wondering what the least amount of pics I can take for time purposes. I wonder if 4 pics around at 5 degree up and then a 5th 90 degree down nadir?

Cheers!

Brendan
  2. Re: Which NN for VFX? Using 7D + Sigma 8mm

I'd use the NN5. You can't take the down shot on the R1 unless you reset the nodal point. I've got a UK customer who is an SFX studio in London and they use the NN5 for their IBLs.

Badders
  3. Re: Which NN for VFX? Using 7D + Sigma 8mm

Hi Badders

Thanks for your reply. I'm leaning towards to NN5 too. I think I should look at getting the nadir adapter and a quick release plate so I can assure more repeatable results.
    Do you know what the difference (if any) is between the arca style and nn quick release plates?

Brendan
  4. Re: Which NN for VFX? Using 7D + Sigma 8mm

The Arca style is for use with Arca Swiss plates while the Nodal Ninja QRS is for use either with the supplied nodal Ninja plates or a standard Manfrotto quick release plate.

Badders