R1 best set up using Nikon 10.5mm & D5000

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R1 best set up using Nikon 10.5mm & D5000

Share/Bookmark
  1. R1 best set up using Nikon 10.5mm & D5000

What is the best setup using this lens camera setting? I would like to get the advice from someone using PTGUI as the sticher.
  2. Re: R1 best set up using Nikon 10.5mm & D5000

Users Country Flag

Personally, I prefer smaller nadir over smaller zenith. So I would use -7.5 deg tilt for 6 shots around followed by a zenith shot.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: R1 best set up using Nikon 10.5mm & D5000

Thank you. Do you shoot the Zenith by keeping the camera on the R1 mount and tilt 90 degrees?
  4. Re: R1 best set up using Nikon 10.5mm & D5000

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by HD360 View Post
    Thank you. Do you shoot the Zenith by keeping the camera on the R1 mount and tilt 90 degrees?
    yes. zenith shot on R1. you need to use view point correction in ptgui. You can move the tripod and adjust the center column to get best result.

nick

Fanotec
  5. Re: R1 best set up using Nikon 10.5mm & D5000

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    .....you need to use view point correction in ptgui. You can move the tripod and adjust the center column to get best result....
    Some tips:
    * When the tripod is moved approx. 9cm (!) in the proper direction and the center column is lifted approx. 9cm (!) then the position of the lens will be within a few cm of the optimum NPP.
    (!) the exact value is depending on the tilt for the round shots and the lens that is used but will be close to 9 cm.
    * The more precise the tripod is moved and the more precise the center column is lifted the better the stitched result will be.
    * Only when there are close by objects in the zenith shot then moving of the tripod and lifting of the center column is needed so for a zenith shot of the sky it is not necessary to move the tripod or lift the center column.
    * By setting the Blend priority of the zenith shot in the Image parameters tab of PTGui Pro to a lower value , f.i from the default 100 to 70 or 50 you can narrow the part of the zenith shot that will be included in the stitched result, this can be very handy if you get visible errors at the seem of the zenith patch in the stitched pano, with a little tweaking of the Blend priority value it is often possible to get rid of the error.
    * You can check the result of the tweaking realtime in the Panorama Editor.

Success,
    Wim

Hi Nick

Just to let you know that after all the testing with different lenses and cameras and brackets the best solution is the following giving the best quality enabling full Zenith stitch automatically.

Nikon D3X full frame (or any full frame) with 10.5DX shaved (I shaved the lens myself and it is brilliant) at 10 deg up on an R1 or R10

Taken 4 shots with perfect Zenith stitch in PTGui and created in Pano2VR

The Nadir is always easy to patch in Pano2VR using photoshop, as most times the tripod is on a floor, road or on a carpet - see samples below
    and as the Zenith is much more difficult the 10deg will sort it perfectly

see below
    Winchester Cathedral
    http://www.fashionbyvogue.com/events...inchester.html

And to all you car lovers - The Morgan Factory
    http://www.fashionbyvogue.com/events...gan/admin.html

Love to hear from any

Erik Hoffman
    Users Country Flag

When you do not have any photographer shadows to deal with, down tilt and a Zenith shot makes sense. When dealing with the photographer's shadow, you will need to take at least 1 Nadir patch shot in order to eliminate the shadow. In this case, up tilt will close the Zenith and leave you with the Nadir to deal with. If you tilt down and have shadows, you will have to take a Zenith shot, patch it in, take a Nadir patch shot and patch it in. Why not save yourself a lot of time and headaches and deal with only 1 patch shot? Tilt up and take a hand held Nadir patch.

I use 5 degrees up tilt and a hand held Nadir patch shot. Here is how I deal with the photographer's shadow using PTGui. http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirShadow/index.htm
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    When you do not have any photographer shadows to deal with, down tilt and a Zenith shot makes sense. When dealing with the photographer's shadow, you will need to take at least 1 Nadir patch shot in order to eliminate the shadow. In this case, up tilt will close the Zenith and leave you with the Nadir to deal with. If you tilt down and have shadows, you will have to take a Zenith shot, patch it in, take a Nadir patch shot and patch it in. Why not save yourself a lot of time and headaches and deal with only 1 patch shot? Tilt up and take a hand held Nadir patch.

I use 5 degrees up tilt and a hand held Nadir patch shot. Here is how I deal with the photographer's shadow using PTGui. http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirShadow/index.htm
    Hi Dennis,

The lens in question is Nikon 10.5mm. You can't close the zenith with less than 20 deg tilt.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Nick,

WOW. I do not know how I totally missed that small but very significant detail. Thanks for pointing that out. It does make a difference. That changes the technique significantly. If anyone has the same question using the Sigma lens, then I have an answer all ready for them.

Dennis
    Users Country Flag

Hi Dennis,

The lens in question is Nikon 10.5mm. You can't close the zenith with less than 20 deg tilt.

Nick
    If you roll the camera you can. How good it will look depends what is up there :(.

Kevin.

yes. zenith shot on R1. you need to use view point correction in ptgui. You can move the tripod and adjust the center column to get best result.
    Nick, I've seen this method mentioned before of raising the centre column to adjust for the NPP offset when you tilt the R1 - do you have more info?

Badders
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    Nick, I've seen this method mentioned before of raising the centre column to adjust for the NPP offset when you tilt the R1 - do you have more info?
    Here is a fresh discussion
    http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/8274/

nick

Fanotec

Hi Nick

Ever wondered about the artist who worked for months and years and his masterpiece is left in the basement never sold or looked at, that is passion

For anyone who had a chance to visit the amazing Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg - Russia is a great proof of passion, and some of the greatest artists works of art are kept here

Some of the masterpieces were bought for millions when the artist died penniless.

The link below is a taste of the Hermitage (15 room in all) in 360Panorama that took me hundreds of hours to create, so PLEASE dont just skip it - I know it takes time to load but believe me it is beautiful, and not because I have created it,

I was not allowed a tripod, so it is hand held (yes hand held) my friends and with a shaved 10.5mm DX is a treat no need for extra shot for the Nadir or the Zenith if you tilt up 5deg - a bit of work on the nadir in Photoshop but the ceiling is brilliant

The most amazing one is the Rembrandt room (click on the blue pin on the map - room 117) because it is very very dark and you cannot take photographs easily, especially without a tripod but thanks to a new technology and hours of work you can enjoy for the first time the full glory of this room - the cost of the photographs in this room will set you back in Billions.

I was privileged to get in after closing time! as in normal time there are hundreds of people storming the room with temperature exceeding 35 degrees so photography is almost impossible.

Music (room 112) and Champagne have made this visit one of the best I have ever encountered.

http://www.fashionbyvogue.com/events...itage/day.html

Please be patience to load and let me know what you think

Special thanks to Martin Hopkins who helped me to understand how to create a map etc,
    Special thanks to the guy at Topaz who created the best software enhancing program ever.

Erik Hoffman
    www.erikhoffman.co.uk
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hoffmanerik View Post
    Hi Nick

Ever wondered about the artist who worked for months and years and his masterpiece is left in the basement never sold or looked at, that is passion

For anyone who had a chance to visit the amazing Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg - Russia is a great proof of passion, and some of the greatest artists works of art are kept here

Some of the masterpieces were bought for millions when the artist died penniless.

The link below is a taste of the Hermitage (15 room in all) in 360Panorama that took me hundreds of hours to create, so PLEASE dont just skip it - I know it takes time to load but believe me it is beautiful, and not because I have created it,

I was not allowed a tripod, so it is hand held (yes hand held) my friends and with a shaved 10.5mm DX is a treat no need for extra shot for the Nadir or the Zenith if you tilt up 5deg - a bit of work on the nadir in Photoshop but the ceiling is brilliant

The most amazing one is the Rembrandt room (click on the blue pin on the map - room 117) because it is very very dark and you cannot take photographs easily, especially without a tripod but thanks to a new technology and hours of work you can enjoy for the first time the full glory of this room - the cost of the photographs in this room will set you back in Billions.

I was privileged to get in after closing time! as in normal time there are hundreds of people storming the room with temperature exceeding 35 degrees so photography is almost impossible.

Music (room 112) and Champagne have made this visit one of the best I have ever encountered.

http://www.fashionbyvogue.com/events...itage/day.html

Please be patience to load and let me know what you think

Special thanks to Martin Hopkins who helped me to understand how to create a map etc,
    Special thanks to the guy at Topaz who created the best software enhancing program ever.

Erik Hoffman
    www.erikhoffman.co.uk
    Hi Erik,

Thanks for sharing. Excellent handheld panos. Wonderful places! You are so privileged!
    One question. is monopod allowed?

Nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread