Nadir Adapter

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Nadir Adapter

Share/Bookmark

I'm using a D3 with Nikkor 14-24 f2.8. I used in to capture my first panorama in Manchester Cathedral. I set it on manual and bracketed my exposures by varying the shutter speeds with a constant aperture of f16. I had focus on auto. Perhaps I should have set to hyperfocal distance. I did have WB set to auto and I wonder if this is responsible for some odd colour patches on some parts of the images.

Many thanks for the advice in your most helpful post and my apologies for drifting off-topic in this thread

Regards,

John

Forgot to mention, I processed the images in Photomatix pro before importing into PTGui
    Users Country Flag

John, I think this is the reason for some odd colours. Inside the cathedral you have mixed light, with changes in the windows or reflexions from light on wood , etc. You may use the "Pre" set in WB to let the camera make a mix. You also might use a greycard or colorchecker passport in different places in an extra shot. In very rare situations I use the Expodisc with "Pre". Shooting Raw you can easily adapt it. I use braketting in CL mode, this saves time. Better shoot in hyperfocal distance. You have to set focus to manual.

Raise the last row as high as possible, -22.5° pitch or even less to avoid a lot of masking work to take away the legs of the tripod. Depends on the tripod you use. You have to try to know you have enough overlap to the nadir shots. You might try to stitch in exposure fusion in PTGui, and then export the different blended panos to photomatix. I often get nice results without photomatix on top. Set HDR to exposure fusion in advanced set up in PTGui.

Heinz

Hi Heinz

Thanks for taking the time t produce and upload these. The links seem to be broken at the moment. Could you upload them again? I would love to see thee before I consider the Nadir adapter.
    Thanks
    Users Country Flag

I am working on these. There will be infos about nadir adaptor soon.

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Hi,
    I shot this pano as a nadir adapter test. Cannot stitch nadir correctly. Also, I included two nadirs masked by me.
    I would appreciate, if someone would tell me what am I doing wrong.
    Should I be tilting lens -15 deg down and shoot nadirs at 90 deg down?
    here are my images:
    http://sharesend.com/51j15
    Thank you!
    Users Country Flag

Adamo,

Providing pictures really helps diagnose what is going on.

Take a look at the first page of this thread. You will see an image showing the Nadir shot with the patch shot overlayed.

Your pano head is not oriented correctly with the tripod.

Orienting the pano head with your tipod is critical, or the images will not work.

With your camera pointing down to take the Nadir shot, one tripod leg should be pointing straight out into the middle of the picture.

When you swing the camera out and slide your rig over, you will see two tripod legs in the picture, spread out so you have a clear shot of the floor.

Dennis
    Users Country Flag

Adamo,

I send you a mail. Before the video is ready, you can download this link with all the shots you need to try to mask and stitch the nadir shots.

You can check the tripod set up as DennisS mentioned: the lower rail has to be opposite of the third leg in one line! This means the NN5 has to be set up in correct 90° to the two legs = on a straight line of the third leg.

Set up of pics: 0°; +5°, +7.5° for R1/R10 check, 2x +60° at 180° visa versa to check horizon connection of the lens, +90°, 2x Nadir -90° with Nadir Adaptor set up. Set up to play around...

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/f...g%208mm_f3.zip

Cheers,
    Heinz

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi,

I have set up a panorama with D200, Nikkor 10.5, NN3 and Nadir Adaptor. The set includes 2 videos, one about preparing, alpha mask nadir and stitching the panorama with PTGuiPro and PS CS4. The second one explains the set up of the rig and shows the effect of the nadir adaptor.

Two maps include the pics of the pano - for those who want to play around on their own - and the pics of the D200, 10.5, NN3, Ez-LevellerII Gitzo GT 1541T

The workflow in the video shows my own decision to create a panorama, there are many ways to Rome and might be that others do it in another way. Same with using the EZ-LevellerII, I can do it as well without it and use the tripod legs to adjust, I simply prefer to use the leveller instead of adjusting tripods legs.

I have set this up cause there have been questions around the nadir adaptor, stitching, and alpha masks. Just to try to give "newbies" a help to start up. Not to start a lot of threads with those who know how to do it. Camera orientation "on'' "off" etc.

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...aptorVideo.zip Video

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechute/D200_10.zip Pics of pano

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...dirAdaptor.zip Video

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...dirAdaptor.zip Pics of Set Up

Think it helps a little bit,

regards

Heinz
    Hi Heinz

Love to get my hands on these video/pictures. :)
    Users Country Flag

Hi Droy,

I send info tomorrow.

Heinz

I am having problems with my Nadir Adapter. I think it needs to be longer. It doesn't swing out far enough for my setup. I am using a Canon 5D MKII and the Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye lens and a brand new Nodal Ninja 4 with the nadir adapter. I followed the tutorials to the letter and I think I am doing everything right. I put a plumb bob underneath the center of the tripod and put a coin there. I measured the distance that I am supposed to slide the tripod over and it comes out to 9 inches. I take the nadir shot with the one tripod leg in the middle of the picture like it shows in the tutorial. I then slide the tripod over 9 inches and swivel the nadir adapter and position it so that the other two tripod legs are in the picture at 60 degrees. I look in the view finder and the coin is dead center and then take the nadir patch shot. I then load up the pictures and mask the tripod and align the 8 images, 6 around, one up and the nadir shot. I then load the nadir shot and mask everything except the floor. I add control points and optimize it with the pano and it does a perfect stitch, except for a small black spot on the floor. It looks to me like the center tripod leg on the nadir shot, overlaps the front of the pano bracket of the patch shot. Since both of those shots are masked out, I get a black hole in the final panorama. The only way i can get it to work is to slide the tripod back around 12 inches instead of the 9 inches that it calls for. To me, I think if the nadir adapter was a little longer, it would swing out farther and I would be able to put the camera right over the coin on the floor with out the center tripod leg leaving the black hole in my picture . Does anybody have a better solution or do I have to keep sliding the tripod back 12 inches instead of 9 inches. Either I am not using the nadir adapter correctly, or Nodal Ninja needs to make a longer swiveling nadir adapter. Either that, or I need a different tripod that has a smaller foot print. The center column is not the problem since I can't see it in my shots. What I need is a quad pod. I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Ralph
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    I am having problems with my Nadir Adapter. I think it needs to be longer. It doesn't swing out far enough for my setup. I am using a Canon 5D MKII and the Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye lens and a brand new Nodal Ninja 4 with the nadir adapter. I followed the tutorials to the letter and I think I am doing everything right. I put a plumb bob underneath the center of the tripod and put a coin there. I measured the distance that I am supposed to slide the tripod over and it comes out to 9 inches. I take the nadir shot with the one tripod leg in the middle of the picture like it shows in the tutorial. I then slide the tripod over 9 inches and swivel the nadir adapter and position it so that the other two tripod legs are in the picture at 60 degrees. I look in the view finder and the coin is dead center and then take the nadir patch shot. I then load up the pictures and mask the tripod and align the 8 images, 6 around, one up and the nadir shot. I then load the nadir shot and mask everything except the floor. I add control points and optimize it with the pano and it does a perfect stitch, except for a small black spot on the floor. It looks to me like the center tripod leg on the nadir shot, overlaps the front of the pano bracket of the patch shot. Since both of those shots are masked out, I get a black hole in the final panorama. The only way i can get it to work is to slide the tripod back around 12 inches instead of the 9 inches that it calls for. To me, I think if the nadir adapter was a little longer, it would swing out farther and I would be able to put the camera right over the coin on the floor with out the center tripod leg leaving the black hole in my picture . Does anybody have a better solution or do I have to keep sliding the tripod back 12 inches instead of 9 inches. Either I am not using the nadir adapter correctly, or Nodal Ninja needs to make a longer swiveling nadir adapter. Either that, or I need a different tripod that has a smaller foot print. The center column is not the problem since I can't see it in my shots. What I need is a quad pod. I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Ralph
    can you show us a small picture of nadir position of the stitched pano and the nadir shot? Do you see the tripod legs in the 6 shots around? Maybe you should tilt the lens down by 5-15 deg to reduce the nadir hole first. Some pictures will give answers to these questions.

NIck
    Last edited by nick fan; 09-25-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
    Users Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Sounds like you have to go further to the 12 inches. With special set ups you have to go further than DPD = double pivot distance to get free space between the tip of the tripod leg and corner of nadir adapter.

I stitch with PTGuiPro. What I do I click the viewpoint tab in >optimizer >advanced for Zenith and Nadir Shots. That should work out fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewpoint correction tab.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	346Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1103N2 Shot copycrop.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	348Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1101Not_enought_spcae.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	347Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1101Nadir1-2 copy copy.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	349Click image for larger version

Name:	Last option to create free space because of LRS of camera body used.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	350Click image for larger version

Name:	DPD.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	351Click image for larger version

Name:	M1_NadirAdapter in Nadir1 Position.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	352Click image for larger version

Name:	M1_NadirAdapter in Nadir2 Position.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	353

But would be fine to have a set of pics to test ourselves.

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 09-25-2011 at 10:34 PM.

My problem is exactly as picture number 3 above where the center leg and the panoramic bracket overlap. The only way I see to fix it is to slide the tripod over around 12 inches instead of the 9 inches that it calls for and then click on the viewpoint tab. It is either that or the nadir adapter needs to have more swing, but then it will probably sag a little do to the weight of the camera. I'll try to post some pictures later. Thanks.

Ralph
    Users Country Flag

Ralph go for the 12 inch. I have to expand DPD by 3.5 inches and that works.

We'll wait for the pics.

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread