Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

I'd like to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick release plate on a Nodal Ninja 5L, so that I do not have to remove the Quick Release plate from a Canon 5D MKII camera, when I move the camera from a Ninja to a Manfrotto tripod.

Does anyone have any experience using the 1/4" or 3/8" Rail Plate accessory from Nodal Ninja to mount the Manfrotto 394 on a Ninja 5L?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Regards,

Rob
  2. Re: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

Users Country Flag

you can mount the 394 QR to the camera mounting plate via a 3/8"-1/4" adapter. No other rail plate is needed unless you are running out of space on the lower rail.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

Thank you Nick Fan.

Knowing I'm working with a Canon 5D MKII, is the 1/4" or the 3/8" the better choice for the Canon camera?

Rob
  4. Re: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by film101 View Post
    Thank you Nick Fan.

Knowing I'm working with a Canon 5D MKII, is the 1/4" or the 3/8" the better choice for the Canon camera?

Rob
    a 3/8" rail plate will be better because no adapter is needed.
    Have you tried the standard camera mounting plate? Any problem with it?

NIck

Fanotec
  5. Re: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

I'd like to be able to setup the camera and lens combo on the Ninja 5, and be able to take the camera off the Ninja, shoot non-panoramics with the Manfrotto 405 tripod head, and then slap the camera back on the Ninja.

The Ninja would have a Manfrotto quick release that never leaves it, that I know will not need a camera alignment on the Ninja because it was already done.

if I use another quick release, I have to change it on the camera when I move between a Pano and regular tripod shots.
  6. Re: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by film101 View Post
    I'd like to be able to setup the camera and lens combo on the Ninja 5, and be able to take the camera off the Ninja, shoot non-panoramics with the Manfrotto 405 tripod head, and then slap the camera back on the Ninja.

The Ninja would have a Manfrotto quick release that never leaves it, that I know will not need a camera alignment on the Ninja because it was already done.

if I use another quick release, I have to change it on the camera when I move between a Pano and regular tripod shots.
    Well, I mean you can mount your QR system to the camera mounting plate. The 1/4" and 3/8" rail plates are mainly made for tall cameras on NN3 where lower rail is limited in length.
    So, try this. Keep your camera on the QR plate. Mount the QR clamp to the camera mounting plate.

Nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

Users Country Flag

If you like to leave the clamp mounted on the NN, you have to get a second clamp for the NN. The first one sits on the tripod.

So the set up would be like this: NN upper rail, Cp-1 or Cp-2 ( if possible) mounted to the clamp. When this is too thick, you may use the 3/8 rail plate instead of the old Cp's.

Anyway, you have to adapt the LRS by the thickness of the added plates and clamps.

To change the camera to another place, just take it out of the clamp. Have a look to this:

http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/rp1-38.htm

Heinz
  8. Re: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

Users Country Flag

http://www.dlsphoto.net/NadarBracket/index.htm

Scroll about half way down and you will find pictures of modifications done to the same quick release plates. I have since gone to using the lens ring mount instead of the camera body mount and no longer use the quick release plates.
  9. Re: Gear needed to use a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Plate on a Ninja Nodal 5L

DenniS, Rob can't use any of the lens rings because of the type of lens he intends to use.

Rob - looks like you can mount a Manfrotto 394 clamp directly to the CP2 camera plate that is supplied with the NN5 w/R-D16. If you are seeing an issue centring the camera on the lower arm because of the combined thickness of the CP2 and the 394 then you will need one of the thinner rail plates as I previously suggested.

Badders
+ Reply to Thread