NN5 Lower Rail

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN5 Lower Rail

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN5 Lower Rail

Hi,

I have an NN3, the new Nadir adapter and the RD16 rotator. Now that I have fitted the battery grip to my Nikon D300 I can no longer place
    the camera over the rotation axis.
    Is the lower rail from an NN5, along with any extra bits I need to attach the NN3 upper assembly, available seperately? Or do I have to ditch the NN3 and purchase a complete NN5?

Lee
  2. Re: NN5 Lower Rail

Ditch the NN3 and get the NN5. Not only is the arm too short now with the Nadir adapter but you're putting too much weight on the upper arm with the battery grip.

Badders
  3. Re: NN5 Lower Rail

Thanks for the reply.
    Will ditch it...err....I mean sell it on eBay as soon as I can and get the NN5 instead.
  4. Re: NN5 Lower Rail

Users Country Flag

I would not use a battery grip on a nodal ninja. Nikon grips are not very stable cause they are made of plastic. Take an extra battery with you and use a high speed cf card with 60 or 90mb/sec to be quick.

I never shoot with a battery grip. The camera moves out of the vertical because of the load on the grip. Even with D200 MD200.

My personal experience.

Regards

Heinz
  5. Re: NN5 Lower Rail

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    Ditch the NN3 and get the NN5. Not only is the arm too short now with the Nadir adapter but you're putting too much weight on the upper arm with the battery grip.
    Ditch the battery grip.
    I really do not understand why anyone would use a battery grip on a camera which does not have it built in.
    On a panohead it is just an additional source of error.

You can get 6 original Nikon batteries for the price of the battery grip.
    Hans
  6. Re: NN5 Lower Rail

I bought the battery grip for use on a couple of trips to the Canadian Rockies in January and March. I shot handheld and the grip gave me a few, granted not much, more FPS for the HDR sets. As I couldnt float adequately on my snowshoes, there was no way a tripod could be used. Even with Manfrottos own snowshoes! Next year it will be a monopod/hiking pole resting on the front of one of my snowshoes. And NNs pole baseplate if it si available by then!
    Admittedly I dont need the increased FPS for any NN work away from waist deep snow so could remove the grip for normal use. At least it'll save me the expense of an NN5. Not to mention the elimination of weight that needs to be carried!
+ Reply to Thread