NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

J_D

Hi everyone,

I am going into the real estate virtual tour business in my local area and was wondering: Will the NN3 MK II be enough for my needs or will I need to ez levler or the other extras?

As I mentioned before, I will be using the equipment specifically for virtual tours and nothing else.

Camera: D300s

Lens: Nikkor 10.5 2.8

Tripod: http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod265.htm (if you can see any better tripods on the website please let me know)

That's my equipment above. Last things I need to sort out is the Head and Software.

Thanks.
  2. Re: NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by J_D View Post
    ...or will I need to ez levler or the other extras?
    The leveler is not needed. All you need to do is adjust the tripod legs to get your rig level. After about 5th time you do it, you will see just how easy and quick it is. You can easily level your panorama in your stitching software.

I would suggest the "Nadir Ninja" swivel. (Not the real name, but it fits.) It helps make taking the Nadir patch shot easier. You will recieve other suggestions for ways to get your patch shot. Try out as many as you can and use the one that works best for you. If you will be putting your corporate logo over the tripod, then you will not need to take a patch shot.
  3. Re: NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

Users Country Flag

J_D,

I personally feel the D300s is at the heavy end as camera used with NN3MKII. Specially used with the new nadir adaptor DennisS mentioned you set a lot of torque to the equipment. I would use the NN5 for D300s. But it is more weight.

With heavier lenses NN3 won't fit. It is at the border line for 10.5, Sigma 8mm.

I know DennisS is very used to set up the tripod to level and it can be done quickly. Using the nadir adaptor will offset your camera vertically and horizontally. You can adapt the NPP position quite more easily by the use of the Ez-Leveller II.

You have to use a 2/3 way bubble leveller on the cameras flash shoe as well.

If you decide for NN3, be aware that you have to reduce the LRS of your camera by 6 mm cause an offset of the vertical rail to the adaptor.

Tripods: I found Manfrotto is not stable enough in the center column with the new swivel adaptor cause of torque though I used it for years with NN5 but without swivel. For D90 Gitzo GT1541 works fine for me. For D300s I would have a look to Feisol.com. Rock solid, not so expansive as Gitzo.

My personal experience and decisions,

Heinz
  4. Re: NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

Hi JD,

I've used the NN3 on it's own with the D300 and the Nikon 10.5mm. It's 100% fine to use with that setup. Because most of your shots will be interiors on level flooring there's no need for the leveller as you can indeed simply level using the tripod legs.

The Nadir adaptor while being possible to connect to the NN3 isn't really recommended with the D300 because there is a bit of weight to that camera. So unless you need to patch the tripod area then the NN3 will be fine.

However, what I will say is if you are operating as a professional then customers expect to see professional equipment. If you get the NN5 then not only will it lend gravitas to your appearance when you turn up on location but it will remove any question of suitability for the job. The NN5 is rock solid and so you can also use it with longer focal length lenses for higher resolution work. I know you say you won't use the kit for anything else but trust me, you will once the bug gets you!

The Manfrotto 190XB is a great tripod and perfectly suited for you. We sell and recommend these tripods ourselves here in the UK.

Badders
  5. Re: NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

Users Country Flag

Using the nadir adaptor will offset your camera vertically and horizontally.
    Almost. If you are shooting on level ground (like most real estate shoots), the swivel will offset the camera horizontally only. It is designed to keep the camera at the same height in order to make processing the Nadir patch shot easier. If you are on an incline, the camera will move in both directions.
  6. Re: NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

I use a Nikon D300 with my Nodal Ninja NN3 and it is happy with both the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye and Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 DC HSM set at the 10mm end of the zoom although the positioning on the top rail is right on the limit.

According to the specs, your D300s is 19g heavier than the D300, which is insignificant.
    D300 + Nikon 10.5mm = 1.208Kg = 2.7ilbs
    D300 + Sigma 10-20mm = 1.373Kg = 3.0lbs
    I think I have read somewhere that the weight limit for the NN3 is 4lbs - perhaps this can be confirmed by someone who actually knows

My settings for the D300, which will be the same for a D300s are:
    Lower rail = 61mm
    Upper rail = 87.5m for the 10.5mm and 107mm for the 10-20mm @ 10mm.

Best regards, Hugh.

7. Re: NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

J_D

Thank you so much guys.
  8. Re: NN3 MK II sufficient or should I worry about the extras?

Users Country Flag

J_D,

Try to get both NN for a weekend or so to test it on your own from your local dealer.

This will lead to your own experience and a better decision.

Plus think about the future, using other lenses with higher resolution and being heavier or they need another upper rail set which expand the possibility of NN3, you have to change to NN5. D300 with fisheye lenses 10.5, Sigma 8
    works fine, but you have to really fix the upper rail to prevent it from moving down.

Cheers

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread