NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Hi

I have seen this raised before a while back, but did not see any solutions. I have just purchased a NN3 Mk 2 and am using a Canon 400D with Sigma 10-20mm. all going well (I still need to learn how to remove Nadir!), but after a couple of weeks the upper arm is slipping down. I cannot tighten enough. Is there a fix for this. I have compared my washers etc. with user guide and all seems in place.

I would be grateful for some help here. I have tried a card washer for the other side of the arm and it works for a while. But surely there should be the correct washers etc. in the Kit?
  2. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

Hi,

your package should have included a plastic bag, which contains extra washer, screws etc.

When you disassemble, behind the knob there is a wide black washer. When you take off the upper rail from vertical rail, you find the thick "rubber"plate coming against the vertical rail.

May be you should add a second washer to the outside under the knob.

Heinz
  3. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by handyr View Post
    Hi

I have seen this raised before a while back, but did not see any solutions. I have just purchased a NN3 Mk 2 and am using a Canon 400D with Sigma 10-20mm. all going well (I still need to learn how to remove Nadir!), but after a couple of weeks the upper arm is slipping down. I cannot tighten enough. Is there a fix for this. I have compared my washers etc. with user guide and all seems in place.

I would be grateful for some help here. I have tried a card washer for the other side of the arm and it works for a while. But surely there should be the correct washers etc. in the Kit?
    Does it tighten well at the beginning for the same lens and camera?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Thanks for the ideas!

I have loads of washers now! - My supplier send me some more. A have tried a variety of combinations (either sides of the arm) I am still getting the same situation. It works fine with a new washer then rapidly (two or three panos) becomes loose despite tightening the rotor. I am not sure of the correct configuration (presumably as it was out of the box).

Getting quite annoying!

Any new ideas?
  5. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by handyr View Post
    Thanks for the ideas!

I have loads of washers now! - My supplier send me some more. A have tried a variety of combinations (either sides of the arm) I am still getting the same situation. It works fine with a new washer then rapidly (two or three panos) becomes loose despite tightening the rotor. I am not sure of the correct configuration (presumably as it was out of the box).

Getting quite annoying!

Any new ideas?
    Is the vertical rail at the right side when you take a pano? what is the weather condition at your region?

Nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Is the vertical rail at the right side when you take a pano? what is the weather condition at your region?

Nick
    What nick says is very true.

If it is on the correct Right side with the arm facing back wards the weight of your kit will tighten the arm. some times the arm must face forwards to set the correct nodal point. in that case make sure the weight (balance) of your kit is causing the arm to rotate clockwise.

I use a fairly heavy combination on a NN3 11 A 40d and f2.8 17-55 lens with manfrotto quick release... I have never had it slip at all, and it was a fairly early one so it has done a lot of work.
  7. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

This has been reported a few times before. E.g. See http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/inde...n.html#msg5504

John
  8. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    If it is on the correct Right side with the arm facing back wards the weight of your kit will tighten the arm.
    I'm still having problems with my NN3 MkII. I had reported before about this and made a leather washer to put under the knob, but that has compressed and isn't very effective any more.

Everyone keeps saying that the weight of the camera will tighten the rail. On my bracket, the weight does not tighten the arm at all. When the rail drops, the outer knob turns with it and the camera just keeps slipping.

I see two areas that need to be addressed.

1. The thick black washer under the upper horizontal rail pivot is a very slippery hard plastic-silicon material. It provides almost no friction at all.

2. The outer knob's bottom surface is slightly convex. The edge of a steel ruler held across it will rock. That means that only the inner brass portion (about 8 mm) provides friction against the vertical rail. That's where I put my leather washer, but these surfaces need more friction.

If the thick washer were made of a hard rubber, and the outer knob's gripping surface were flat so that the entire 2 cm provided contact, it would help a great deal. I've been tempted to take sand paper to the outer knob, but I don't have experience working with a brass/plastic combo. I don't want to ruin it.

Judy Arndt
  9. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

Hi Handyr and Judy-A,

send me your address by email. I'll try to send you a rubber washer in different material.
    my email is

nick
    @
    fanotec
    com

Nick

Fanotec
  10. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

The NN3 MKII is better suited for smaller lighter cameras due largely to the compression locking feature in upper rotator. The NN5 series is better suited for DSLR's. Many users however still use DSLR's on NN3 - myself included as a spare backup. If keeping the regular working loads at about 3 lbs, you shouldn't see the upper arm slipping or sagging in normal use. Those that do experience sag can try cleaning both the compression washer on upper rotator as well as the metal bits. To clean use a little baking soda mixed with water or try liquid soap and warm water with a damp cloth. DO NOT SOAK THE METAL BITS IN WATER. Make sure you get it good dry before reassembling. The compression washer may sometimes glaze - this too is easily remedied by using a bit of steel wool.

If that doesn't work we encourage users to send the unit in for free inspection and clean. They are covered under 2 year warranty and this should not happen with "normal" use under suggested regular weight loads (<3lbs)

Special note to handyr - since you only just purchased your pano head a couple weeks ago we are happy to give you a replacement or offer full trade up value (including shipping) to NN5L.
    thx
    Bill
  11. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice. I'll clean my NN3 and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    If keeping the regular working loads at about 3 lbs, you shouldn't see the upper arm slipping or sagging in normal use.
    I weighed my gear on a balance scale. My camera, battery, lens and wireless remote receiver all together weigh just under 2lb 8oz, so I'm well within your guidelines.

The mounting plates add another 2oz, so even with those included, I'm still operating with a 'legal load'.

Judy
  12. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Quote Originally Posted by Judy-A View Post
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice. I'll clean my NN3 and see if that helps.

I weighed my gear on a balance scale. My camera, battery, lens and wireless remote receiver all together weigh just under 2lb 8oz, so I'm well within your guidelines.

The mounting plates add another 2oz, so even with those included, I'm still operating with a 'legal load'.

Judy
    yep - you should be good to go ((but like Nick mentioned - weather extremes may play a role) send your NN3 in for free cleaning and inspection and we'll express ship it back to you - no charge (accept for you to send to us).
    thx
    Bill

ps - I've seen much of your public work and can say you are a very talented photographer and panographer ;-)
  13. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

I disassembled and cleaned the upper arm pivot area as you suggested. I used steel wool on both sides of the compression washer and on the smooth side of my leather washer. I wiped the metal surfaces with a tissue damped with isopropyl alcohol. It seems to have helped for now.

I found some fine, silty dust on the outside of the bracket, so if dust had got into the pivot area, that may have contributed to the problem.

I do photograph and hike in windy, dusty areas. Should I also be cleaning the RD-8 rotator?

Weather temperatures have be quite moderate here, 16-24?C (60-75?F). However, the interior of the vehicle sometimes gets hot when the NN3 is stored inside, so I suppose that might affect the compression washer.

Thanks for the offer of a free cleaning, but there's no way I'm going to let the NN3 out of my hands during summer pano season. I need it!

Thanks for the generous comments on my photos. That's the kind of encouragement I need to keep taking more.

Judy
  14. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Judy-A View Post

I do photograph and hike in windy, dusty areas. Should I also be cleaning the RD-8 rotator?
    DON'T disassemble the RD8!
    Do have the silicone dust protector plugs for your RD-8? If not, you can get them from your reseller for free.

nick

Fanotec
  15. Re: NN3 Mk 2 Upper arm slipping down (Newbie)

Hi Judy - like Nick mentioned do NOT disassemble the rotator. I see you purchased your NN3 wRD8 Nov 09 which was before we had the silicone rotator plugs so these are free for you. I have your order up and we'll go ahead and just send you some free of charge.

If any user purchased a Nodal Ninja with advanced rotator prior to the inclusion of these dust plugs please contact your reseller. Initial plug sets are free to customers of these products.

thx
    Bill
+ Reply to Thread