Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Hi all,

Looking at getting an R1 and perhaps a new lens, your advice is most appreciated.

I need to get an additional and more manageable rig for mountain biking and hiking so my thinking was to get a Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 & a smaller tripod to use with my Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye/40D. That way I would have a fast, small and light weight rig & my updated NN3 rig (below) for other lenses (until I can get an NN5). Which brings me to a couple of questions:

In the interest of keeping this rig as small as possible, do you think just using the adjustable tripod legs & the large bubble level on an RRS QR lever is adequate for any needed level adjustments (I have always used a ball-head but need to get small and light)?

Would I greatly improve IQ if I picked up a Tokina 10-17mm FE over my Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye? There are now 40D DXO modules for it, but if its not a significant increase in IQ over the Siggy for 360 panos I can wait.

Are many of you using the Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye with an R1 & 40D?

Many thanks for your comments!

Mod: edited per request of original poster.

-= PrOxY =-
  2. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PrOxY View Post
    ..more manageable rig for mountain biking... In the interest of keeping this a small as possible...Are many of you using the Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye with an R1 & 40D?
    I use a Nikon D300, Sigma 8mm, R1 and a monopod. These panos were done during my last bicycle rally. http://www.dlsphoto.net/GWBR2010/GWBR2010.htm The D300 is really too big for extended touring. I would get the smallest Nikon. With practice, monopod panoramas can be as good as tripod panoramas. No need to carry a tripod when a monopod will suffice. Now if the tripod is going into the Sag wagon, that is another story.
  3. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Users Country Flag

As DennisS adviced, R1 and monopod is good candidate for hiking. A small carbon fiber tripod will be good too.
    Leveling is not very important for spherical panos. The stitchers will take care of that.
    Stick with Sigma 8mm unless you use a full frame camera.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Users Country Flag

I use Gitzo GT1541 as light weight travel equipment. Works well with D90 , D3. Though it seams to be "thin", it works very well.

For all you professional bikers amongst you, this might be interesting: http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Feisol monopod is brilliant.

Regards

Heinz
  5. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Users Country Flag

Sorry the link ends on the main page . Have a look for Bike Mount.

Heinz
  6. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Users Country Flag

that is a seriously cool piece of it, looks great on the carbon fibre handlebars as well! I wonder what it would look like with my gigapan unit sitting on top as against the handy cam!
  7. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Leveling is not very important for spherical panos. The stitchers will take care of that.
    For monopod work, holding the monopod vertical is CRITICAL. You will need a bubble level. Angular oritentation is not as critical and can be guessed.

For tripod work, leveling the pano head is not too critical, as Nick pointed out.

As for a brand of monopod, a broomstick will work just as well as an expensive carbon one will. I would get the absolute lightest one you can find without breaking the bank.
  8. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Great info, thank you everyone!

For those using monopods, are you using rotators or just turning the monopod at guesstimated intervals? Also, if I use a monopod and I am sticking to my current 40D (APS-C) / Sigma 8mm combo, should I just get the R10 fixed at +5 up to cover the Zenith (I'm guessing here) and just shoot the Nadir handheld? That would certainly be an ultra compact & simple rig
    Can anyone suggest a carbon monopod that collapses sub 18" (needs to fit into Camelbacks)? I was looking at the the Velbon tripod below because its 16.5" collapsed (and I have its big brother), but a tiny monopod sounds like the ticket.

DennisS, those monopod road riding panos are fantastic! Thats what I would want to capture on trails without lugging my current boat anchor rig!

hindenhaag, that bar mount is very cool. Are you using it to take images while you ride? It would certainly be a great new way to mount my HV10 (other than my helmet rig below), though it may give more cam shake.

Thanks again everyone!

PrOxY

-= PrOxY =-
  9. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PrOxY View Post
    ...are you using rotators or just turning the monopod at guesstimated intervals...
    I put the R1 set at 5 degrees directly on the monopod. The key is to start with your back to the sun. Your monopod will cast a shadow on the ground that you can use as an index. 90 degrees is very easy to guess. A hand held Nadir taken at the last position is easy to process. http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirShadow/index.htm
  10. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Hey my R1 arrived today

Now comes the sticky part, I need to tape my Sigma 8mm 3.5.

Any tips on this? I was told to buy gaffers tape because it wont leave the nasty residue that duct tape and electrical tape will over time (I have never seen this stuff). Is there any truth to that?

I also got a good monopod!

-= PrOxY =-
  11. Re: Sigma 8mm F3.5 FE or Tokina 10-17mm FE for R1 ?

Users Country Flag

Make some test shots for focussing to get to know about you hyperfocal setting before taping and setting it into the lens ring. Most people set it to 0.5.

Have fun with the R1.

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread