Hi all,

Looking at getting an R1 and perhaps a new lens, your advice is most appreciated.

I need to get an additional and more manageable rig for mountain biking and hiking so my thinking was to get a Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1 & a smaller tripod to use with my Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye/40D. That way I would have a fast, small and light weight rig & my updated NN3 rig (below) for other lenses (until I can get an NN5). Which brings me to a couple of questions:

In the interest of keeping this rig as small as possible, do you think just using the adjustable tripod legs & the large bubble level on an RRS QR lever is adequate for any needed level adjustments (I have always used a ball-head but need to get small and light)?

Would I greatly improve IQ if I picked up a Tokina 10-17mm FE over my Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye? There are now 40D DXO modules for it, but if its not a significant increase in IQ over the Siggy for 360 panos I can wait.

Are many of you using the Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye with an R1 & 40D?

Many thanks for your comments!

Mod: edited per request of original poster.