NEW FORUM COMING SOON

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. NEW FORUM COMING SOON

This forum has been weak from an administrative stand point from day 1. I selected it because it was relatively easy to manage from a non-techie stand point and the price was right - FREE! But it remains weak and our last upgrade to v2 of SMF brought with it a few bugs.

Now that we have Derek on our team we've been looking for and found a much more powerful system. Complex on the inside but simple to use on the outside. So now our members and guests will enjoy a much more robust forum.
    Our new forum has actually been completed with threads and member data already moved. Few tweaks are still needed such as image tags, quotes tags, links, etc. and working the layout and skin while muddling through the labyrinth of 100's of administration tools.

Before we launch the new forum I wanted to ask all members, with emphasis to those that participate on a regular basis, what features if any would you like to see in the new forum?

All ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Thank you
    Bill
  2. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

You absolutely need on new forum same system of subscription for each section and thread as in SMF so you can easily follow new threads and answers to thread you posted in
    Possibility to upload if possible not too big files easily for everyone

Vincèn

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
  3. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

I agree - thx
    Bill
  4. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

hey bill -

christain bloch's HDR site's forums have a nice integrated panoviewer, code like this will display a pano in-post w krpano

Code:
    [pano]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/331595633_9833dade4b_o.jpg[/pano]
    see this thread for more info - http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum...num=1259050050

something like that would prob be handy on this site...

otherwise i think smf is a pretty decent forum system, which one are we moving to ?

sam

Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: Location Scout :: New York City :: www.samrohn.com

PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org
  5. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

I would like the option to edit a post (within 5 mins of posting, say) so that typos can be corrected. Use of the preview option ought to be enough to enable mistakes to be caught, but some inevitably slip through.

A FAQ section would be useful.

John
  6. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

Users Country Flag

John's comment mentioned a point that is important for me too.

I'd like a simple "del" function for attachments that do not work because of being too big etc.

Using the same picture as attachment a second time, though not a minute but days ago, I get something like "this item has already be used. Please rename". Doing this you are sometimes blocked with "you just set a topic short time ago. Retry later"

Sometimes you loose a reply trying to copy a link on another site, so stepping out of the reply and coming back, the reply is empty.

May be an extra thread for questions about using software, besides "everything else".

Heinz
  7. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

I find the current format of the forum easy to use (user friendly to quote that horrible expression) so would not like to see too much change although I do concur with John's comment.

Perhaps one enhancement that would be nice is if the "Home", "Help", "Search", "Profile" and "Logout" buttons remained "locked" at the top of the screen in the same way as in Excel, but I don't know if this is possible with the current tools.

Does a new forum mean that our photo and country flags will return?

I look forward to the new forum.

Best wishes, Hugh.
  8. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Rohn View Post
    hey bill -
    christain bloch's HDR site's forums have a nice integrated panoviewer, code like this will display a pano in-post w krpano
    Code:
    [pano]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/331595633_9833dade4b_o.jpg[/pano]
    see this thread for more info - http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum...num=1259050050
    something like that would prob be handy on this site...
    otherwise i think smf is a pretty decent forum system, which one are we moving to ?
    sam
    Hi Sam,
    Appreciate your feedback - I believe this is something we might be able to do.
    Because we went with a pricier commercial package we don't favor public plugs and actually went for the unbranded version. SMF is different because they are free but VERY limited in security, admin tools and buggy.
    thanks
    Bill
  9. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    I would like the option to edit a post (within 5 mins of posting, say) so that typos can be corrected. Use of the preview option ought to be enough to enable mistakes to be caught, but some inevitably slip through.
    A FAQ section would be useful.
    John
    We'll expand the edit time limits for sure.
    I like the idea of a FAQ section but would it be better to make this a dedicated page in which case we could place it on our website or both?
    Or would it be best to have this an an entire section, and if so do you feel questions asked in the section would take away from other sections?
    Seems nearly every post now is a question.
    thx
    Bill
  10. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    I'd like a simple "del" function for attachments that do not work because of being too big etc.
    There will be a cool upload tool that will allow for much larger files - thinking 3000x1500 3mb max.

Using the same picture as attachment a second time, though not a minute but days ago, I get something like "this item has already be used. Please rename". Doing this you are sometimes blocked with "you just set a topic short time ago. Retry later"
    Sometimes you loose a reply trying to copy a link on another site, so stepping out of the reply and coming back, the reply is empty.
    The newer forum should allow for better control over this - if you encounter the problems we hope you might bring them to our attention so we can try to sort it out.

May be an extra thread for questions about using software, besides "everything else".
    My only concern here is our forum is focused more on product support. We really don't have a lot of proficient power users familiar with different software vendors to help in supporting software questions which would also place a bigger burden on those here that do. I feel we should point folks with questions about software to the software support forums. And users in those forums should direct folks to us for people asking questions about our products. The easy questions are not a problem if members are willing to assist and we are very thankful to have such knowledgeable members in our forum. But with all due respect Heinz I'm not favoring the idea of a dedicated software section.

thx
    Bill
  11. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    I find the current format of the forum easy to use (user friendly to quote that horrible expression) so would not like to see too much change although I do concur with John's comment.
    On the outside the forum is very easy for end user but does have limitations and glitches voiced by many over it's inception. And buggy too - some people no longer have outboxes - but I believe the outgoing messages are still being held if you opt to save them even though you can't read them. And many admin tools disappeared - they are visible and not selectable or not visible and selectable .
    I would say this SMF has approx 50 admin variables - compare that to the 1000+ variables offered on the back end for new system which allows for greater customizing.

Perhaps one enhancement that would be nice is if the "Home", "Help", "Search", "Profile" and "Logout" buttons remained "locked" at the top of the screen in the same way as in Excel, but I don't know if this is possible with the current tools.
    check

Does a new forum mean that our photo and country flags will return?
    I believe there are some mods that will allow for this - I like it too :-)
    thx
    Bill
  12. Re: NEW FORUM COMING SOON

something like that would just be about the CSS of the template i believe

i think better integration with the main site would be good too, keep basically the same overall header for easier navigation back and forth

but one thing at a time is best i suppose, for me a website is like a hot rod, always a work in progress

sam

Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: Location Scout :: New York City :: www.samrohn.com

PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org
    Users Country Flag

Hi Bill

I was reading through the forum on my ipad and noticed that tables do not render properly on it.

This post to be specific--
    http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...-5D-diagonally

oh I just noticed that its the same on google chrome under OS X.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimiscaro View Post
    Hi Bill
    I was reading through the forum on my ipad and noticed that tables do not render properly on it.
    This post to be specific--
    http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/show...-5D-diagonally
    oh I just noticed that its the same on google chrome under OS X.
    Jim
    Hi Jim,
    We are looking at integrating a mod that allows for free app. There are some paid apps that seem to work.
    Bill
    Users Country Flag

Hi Bill.
    It also happens on my macbook pro and Mac Pro using Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
    Not just on iPad.
    Jim
+ Reply to Thread