Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Thread: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Share/Bookmark
  1. Nadir Adapter - Now Available

The Nadir Adapter - another new product from Nick at Fanotec.
    Easy to setup and use - first attach to lower end of vertical rail then attach to lower rail of NN3 or NN5 using the standard vertical rail mounting knob. After you shoot your sequence of shots and ready to shoot the nadir (down shot) simply loosen the Nadir Adapter using locking lever and rotate the vertical rail 180 degrees then tighten. It is good to use a reference point on ground as you will need to move the tripod assembly slightly so the lens is pointed directly over the original point of rotation. The Nadir Adapter is a must have for anyone wanting to shoot an unobstructed down shot, especially important when shooting HDR.

Pre-production sale - $39.95
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n-3-5-nadir.htm
    limited supply

Cheers
    Bill
  2. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Users Country Flag

Do you have any issues with the the extra side load the offset bracket puts on the leveler? I had problems when developing the concept.

Congradulations on finally bringing this to market.
  3. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Do you have any issues with the the extra side load the offset bracket puts on the leveler? I had problems when developing the concept.
    Didn't notice any issue with use of it, excepted you need tripod with sturdy axe, as that accessory offset load pretty far from gravity center of tripod and so it can move during the shift

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com
  4. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    Congradulations on finally bringing this to market.
    It depends a great deal on the weight of the camera and lens. Heavier gear might see a slight tilting but then this isn't as critical with the nadir insomuch as keeping it still.

Bill

ps - just sold out - hope to have new stock within couple weeks.
  5. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Users Country Flag

A warning for using nadir adapter on NN3:
    The adapter will swing the center of gravity much further than lower rail will allow, thus increasing the strain on the lower rail. I will only recommend using it for fisheye lens on NN3.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    A warning for using nadir adapter on NN3:I will only recommend using it for fisheye lens on NN3.

nick
    Not to be picky... rather trying to prevent others getting confused as I think people could get reading the above:

When you say you will only recommend using it for fisheye lens on NN3, then that comment is only directed at it's use on NN3 and lenses that range through normal kit/lenses and up to fisheye lenses in form/size/weight ?

You are not implying that the nadir adapter can not/should not be used on NN5 with various setups?

7. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Users Country Flag

The swivel adapter puts side forces onto the pano heads where a side force was not originally designed for. In my testing, my poor old NN3, when used with my Nikon D300 and 10.5, was just not up to the task. Making a thicker bottom rail fixed that issue. I also found that I could not use my EZ-leveler with the swivel adapter and my D300.

Since I do not own a NN5, I cannot vouch for the stability. I am sure Nick was able to dig one up for testing. When using the swivel with a NN3, remember that a NN3 is not designed for large DSLR cameras in the first place.

I think the comment about using fisheye lenses is sound advice. A fisheye lens tends to be lighter than a zoom lens. The side load will be less with a lighter set up.

As with any tool, if you do not use it right, you will not get good results.
  8. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Flashificator View Post
    Not to be picky... rather trying to prevent others getting confused as I think people could get reading the above:

When you say you will only recommend using it for fisheye lens on NN3, then that comment is only directed at it's use on NN3 and lenses that range through normal kit/lenses and up to fisheye lenses in form/size/weight ?

You are not implying that the nadir adapter can not/should not be used on NN5 with various setups?
    small kit lens will be fine. EF 24-105mm F4 is definitely not.

nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Users Country Flag

I will test the max loads for different cameras and lenses when I have the swivel at home.

Right now everybody should be aware of the extra load to the side.

I am looking forward to use this new equipment. Thx Bill and Nick not stopping to develop new and better equipment.

Regards,

Heinz
  10. Re: Nadir Adapter - Now Available

Users Country Flag

For those out there concerned with your rig tipping over, wait until you have the product in your hands to see just how stable (or unstable) it is. In the entire time I have been using mine, I have NEVER been in a situation where the rig was anywhere close to tipping over. I never use it on a rocky creek bed or on a steep incline. I have toyed with the idea of stuffing some lead into the tripod leg opposite the pano head. This would make things heavier, but would make the rig even more secure. Hanging a camera bag or other weight from the center column will not work due to the way the patch shot and the Nadir shot have to fit together (like stacking chairs).

Notice that you do not see the center column in the patch shot. That is because I purchased a 6" long center column. Otherwise, it would extend down into the patch shot and overlap the tripod leg in the Nadir shot. (You can ignore the ghost standing in the upper left corner) You may also notice the Manfrotto quick release plate between the rotator and the tripod. Oriented correctly, it does not interfere with either the Nadir or patch shot.
    Users Country Flag

We have "mass production" version of Nadir adapter available now.
    Price is just $34.95 for each now.

Nick

Fanotec