MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Thread: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Share/Bookmark
  1. MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Hello everybody,

I am looking into purchasing the Manfrotto 190XProB with a 804RC2 head. It is on sale at Henry's for $239.99. What do you all think? Is this a good start-up tripod for a beginner in panoramas? All comments and suggestions are welcome.

http://www.henrys.ca/9857-MANFROTTO-...-HEAD-KIT.aspx
  2. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Users Country Flag

3-way head is not the best choice for spherical panos. It introduce large nadir footprint.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Everything can be modified for one's needs/wants:

from this:

to this:

With a single key/tool to change the head's posiiton, kept in the tripod carry-handle:

Due to the Nodal Ninja EZ leveler, I have not had the need to change the head angle at all for months.

In my normal working environment, I could do well without the remains of the 3-way head, since it is just dead weight.
  4. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Thank you Nick for that advice. I see what you mean and now I understand the issue. But could I not just remove the head when I want to take a spherical pano. I do have an EZ-leveler so it should not really be an issue to level the whole thing. Also, I could always touch up the horizon line through stitching software right?
  5. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by VinkoCM View Post
    Thank you Nick for that advice. I see what you mean and now I understand the issue. But could I not just remove the head when I want to take a spherical pano. I do have an EZ-leveler so it should not really be an issue to level the whole thing. Also, I could always touch up the horizon line through stitching software right?
    if the head is removable, it is fine.
    smaller footprint means easier to patch.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Quote Originally Posted by VinkoCM View Post
    You can buy a cheap, light tripod with out a head on eBay and save yourself a lot of trouble. Use your leveler. That's all you need for pano.
  7. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

There's the same tripod without the head -- which you don't need -- on eBay for $145. Save your self some money and spend it at Nick and Bill's Hardware and Dry Goods....
  8. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

First I am pretty sure that the head can be removed so that solves the patching issue. As for saving cash, I still think I am going to purchase it. I need to get more experience in panoramic photography before I will purchase anything else from Nick and Bill. I am happy with the setup I have now (Nodal Ninja 3 MKII with the EZ-Leveler) except for the tripod. So the tripod is what I am looking to upgrade at the moment. Thank you all for your comments. It has helped a lot.
  9. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Users Country Flag

Vincko,

The manfrotto head is handy for normal photographie. So I think from that point of view it is good to buy the set. Now the problem: to take it off for the NN3, you have to loosen three screws with a screwdriver to take off the head from the tripod. This is not nice and not handy. But you can buy a second centre column for the tripod to go with the NN3. Changing them is very quick without any screwdriver etc.

It's the way I use my tripod for normal/pano photographie.

Heinz
  10. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

That is exactly what I was thinking Heinz. I was planning on purchasing the tripod alone. But along came this sale and I think this is great for general photography. Plus, like you said I could purchase another center column. I am on my way to the store now.
  11. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Users Country Flag

You tricky dick,

I am quite sure you will be sure in short time to have taken the right decision.

I think I have "seen" you before.

May I ask you for your camera lens combination?

Heinz
  12. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    You tricky dick,

I am quite sure you will be sure in short time to have taken the right decision.

I think I have "seen" you before.

May I ask you for your camera lens combination?

Heinz
    What do you mean by 'seen' me? I am practically non existent.
    All I have at the moment is the Canon Digital Rebel XSi that came with a Canon 18mm-55mm lens in a kit.
  13. Re: MANFROTTO 190XPROB W/804RC2 HEAD KIT

Quote Originally Posted by Flashificator View Post
    Everything can be modified for one's needs/wants:
    That is absolutely right. I just opened up the box and noticed that 2 handles come dissembled and that in their place are 2 screws just like in your images. So, all I have to do is get a screw for the panning handle.