Do's and Don'ts while shooting? Newbie advice.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do's and Don'ts while shooting? Newbie advice.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Do's and Don'ts while shooting? Newbie advice.

I know this thread will sound really "vague" but as a totally newbie panographer I'd like any kind of tips and advices of things I should do and thing I should try to avoid while shooting my frames.
    or if you have any links it's also much appreciated.
    Mind that as a newbie even the most obvious advices will be helpful.

Thanks a lot sirs.
  2. Re: Do's and Don'ts while shooting? Newbie advice.

Users Country Flag

Hello and welcome on the forum,

Point 1: set up your camera:

everything has to be set to manual: aperture, white balance, focus.

Best aperture is f/8 or f11.

Try to find the right shutter speed by analyzing the site: set camera to A mode and move around the stops watching the shutter speed. Lightest, darkest areas. May be it is a 100 - 1500/sec. Decide for the best speed for most of the stops, let's say 350. Do not "burn out highlights", this means underexpose the highlights cause you can not restore "burned out ones". Try to get knowledge in "how to read histograms". May be you take test shots. This is my personal workflow.

Use hyperfocal distance for focus. http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

Use a remote control for your camera.

Point 2: how to choose the best site in the beginning.

High dynamic range: choose a place or a day without very high dynamic range. This means a day without very bright sun areas and very dark shots in the shadow areas in the same spot.

Wind: choose a day with low winds, moving clouds, leaves in the trees and waves on the water will cause problems in post production. Watch the sky for airplanes.

Busy site: try to find a "steady place" in the beginning. Not too much people walking around, not too much cars, trams etc. Watch your scene, which means better stop some seconds for the next shot, and leave the bicycle pass by. Or wait for the cars to stop for "red". Or better take a full tram than a half one moving. Otherwise you will get a lot of "ghosts".

When you have a busier place, analyze your place if there is a "main direction of moving". Most of the people are moving "from right to left". Shoot against this direction, which will avoid that you are "following people, cars, trams etc." which makes a lot of work in post production to take away half peolpe, Ghosts etc.

Point 3: Post Production consequences from shooting.

Better take some more time to shoot "4 more pictures" than to loose a scene. I personally prefer to take an overlap of 30% than 25% or even less.

Sometimes better shoot 2 shots at 60° with 180° visa versa in the horizontal meaning to get a connection to the horizon for zenith shots. Otherwise you might end up with a sky without any connection to the ground. Especially in total blue ones.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

Feel free to ask.

Heinz

+ Reply to Thread