NN3 MKII Upgrade

Thread: NN3 MKII Upgrade

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 MKII Upgrade

When I purchased my NN3 MKII I commented on this forum that it was a superbly engineered device, but Nick has managed to find room for improvement with the introduction of the Nodal Ninja Anti-Twisting Camera Mounting Plate.

Thanks Nick, mine arrived yesterday and has made using the NN3 MKII even easier!

I did find it tricky lining up the camera so that the lens axis (principal ray) was absolutely parallel to the top rail, but this device makes it simple.

Looking through the topics on the forum there is a lot of discussion about the settings on the top and bottom rails, but even if these settings are absolutely spot on, if the lens axis is not parallel to the top rail there can be parallax introduced, especially if the camera/lens is tilted vertically, but with the CP-2 Camera Mounting Plate this is no longer a concern.

I started out by building my own panohead but when I changed cameras it no longer had the right settings for the new camera so I purchase a friction type panohead, which I soon replaced with an NN3 MKII, which was a huge improvement and is now even better!

Best regards, Hugh.
  2. Re: NN3 MKII Upgrade

Users Country Flag

Hello Hugh,

just the info, there is no change in dimensions CP / Cp-2.

I bought 2 sets, with some lenses and zoom settings I have to change the position of the base plate from long side to the lens ( LSL ) to short side to the lens ( SSL ). I mounted the plates visa versa, so I do not have to take it apart when I have to change the position. I just change the fixed plates.

Heinz
  3. Re: NN3 MKII Upgrade

Users Country Flag

HI Hugh,

Glad you find this enhancement helpful.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: NN3 MKII Upgrade

Hello Heinz, Yes I found that too as the CP and CP-2 are the same thickness.
    Just goes to show Nick's attention to detail!

Yes Nick, the enhancement is very helpful.
    It is clear that when one purchases an NN product you get more than just a great bit if kit.
    One question that has occurred to me though is why not use a ¼" Whitworth thread to attach the CP to the upper arm as this would mean I could leave the CP permanently fixed to the camera and not have to remove it to use a tripod for normal photography?

Best regards, Hugh.
  5. Re: NN3 MKII Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Hello Heinz, Yes I found that too as the CP and CP-2 are the same thickness.
    Just goes to show Nick's attention to detail!

Yes Nick, the enhancement is very helpful.
    It is clear that when one purchases an NN product you get more than just a great bit if kit.
    One question that has occurred to me though is why not use a ¼" Whitworth thread to attach the CP to the upper arm as this would mean I could leave the CP permanently fixed to the camera and not have to remove it to use a tripod for normal photography?

Best regards, Hugh.
    Hugh

The thread used is the standard 1/4" Whitworth thread used in cameras as long as I remember and have personal experience from (thats the last 55 years). I

Hans
  6. Re: NN3 MKII Upgrade

Yes Hans, you are absolutely correct, my apologies.
    I should have realised Nick had every base covered.
    It turns out that the problem was with the thread on my tripod head, which had somehow acquired a small burr, which has now been cured using a fine file.
    Best regards, Hugh.