Recommend a model for me please

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommend a model for me please

Share/Bookmark
  1. Recommend a model for me please

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and new to pano photography. My goal is to produce 360 VR work. Currently, I have a Canon 5DII, Canon 15mm full frame fish-eye lens, a Manfroto tripod and the Manfroto leveling base.

I'm in the market for a pano head and I'm not sure if I need the NN3 or the NN5. I'm guessing that the "L" stands for leveling which I already have. I'm not using any type of special grip, just the stock 5DII. I might, at some point down the road, want to use this setup with a lens other than the 15mm FF fish-eye.

I'd be interested to hear whether your experiences have shown that the advanced rotator is worth the extra $$$. Also, I'm still a little unclear as to what is the difference in RD8 vs. RD16.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Re: Recommend a model for me please

You might want to consider the smaller and lighter ring clamp pano head - R1:
    http://nodalninja.com/products/panoheads/ultimate.html

Also you can see other product videos here:
    http://www.youtube.com/NodalNinja

The advanced rotator is handy if you find yourself shooting with different lenses and/or different focal lengths because you simply change click stops on fly.

Bill
  3. Re: Recommend a model for me please

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bruhnf View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and new to pano photography. My goal is to produce 360 VR work. Currently, I have a Canon 5DII, Canon 15mm full frame fish-eye lens, a Manfroto tripod and the Manfroto leveling base.

I'm in the market for a pano head and I'm not sure if I need the NN3 or the NN5. I'm guessing that the "L" stands for leveling which I already have. I'm not using any type of special grip, just the stock 5DII. I might, at some point down the road, want to use this setup with a lens other than the 15mm FF fish-eye.

I'd be interested to hear whether your experiences have shown that the advanced rotator is worth the extra $$$. Also, I'm still a little unclear as to what is the difference in RD8 vs. RD16.

Thanks for your help.
    For 15mm fisheye on 5DII, I suggest you to buy either NN3/5. R1/10 is only recommended for experienced panographers.
    Buy NN5/5L if you plan to use other lenses in addition to primes on 5D II. "L" stands for "Lite" in NN5L, which means it lacks the 15 deg positive stops (can be disabled on the fly) in the upper rotator of NN5. The positive stops can make stitching easier and are very helpful for scenes with little features at the overlap region.
    Advanced rotators are more robust and precise than default rotator. They allows users to change the detent intervals on the fly. They are compatible with the coming Arca Swiss compatible Nodal Ninja Ultimates.
    RD8 has 8 detent options from 120deg to 20 deg which are good for fisheyes to 50mm lens. RD16 has 16 detent options from 120 deg to 3.75 deg, which are good for fisheyes to 275mm.

NIck

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread