Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Share/Bookmark
  1. Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Hi,

I'm interested to buy a NN3, and I'm trying to find out if a Canon EOS 7D with EF-S 15-85 can be used on the NN3.

I've found the distance A and B (definition according to the image of http://www.nodalninja.com/support/camerasettings.html) for this kit, so my questions are :
    - what is the biggest value that can be set on the lower rail of the NN3 (distance A) ?
    - what is the biggest value that can be set on the upper rail of the NN3 (distance B) with an arca style quick release (ASQRC-2) ?
    - is it correct that the ASQRC-2 + plate add 13mm to the distance A compared to CP-1/CP-2 ?

I assume that the ASQRC-2 can be mounted vertically (to insert the camera vertically ; for a RRS or Acratech camera plate). This isn't a problem for the clamp lever, right?

I'm aware that I should better use a NN5 for this camera, but I can't afford the weight difference on multi-days hikes... Would the use of the NN3 pose a serious problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Stephane
  2. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Hi Stephane,

I can answer this for you easily as I have the exact same setup. No it can't. the combined weight of the 7D with the 15-85mm lens is too much for the upper arm of the NN3. You need the NN5 and I suggest the locking upper arm version. It's what I use.

Badders
  3. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Users Country Flag

Hi Stephane,

Badders is right, your camera is too heavy for the NN3. I tested different nikon cameras on NN3, NN5. D90 =620gr of the body is ok. D300 = 825gr is too heavy. Canon D7 is 820gr. So too heavy as well.

The upper rail of the NN3 won't stand this weight. You have to go for NN5 with locking version.

Heinz
  4. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

What is the max weight for NN3? I have been concerned about this because it seems the connection between the upper and lower rails is prone to moving - not sure if I'm not tightening enough or I have too much weight.

I use a Nikon D3000, Nikon SB-600 speedlight (take 4AA batteries) and a Sigma 10-20 lens. Am I pushing the limit?

I noticed on the store's sight that it says that the quick release systems aren't recommended for NN3 so I haven't used the one that I got with my NN3.

I'm wondering if I should have gone with NN5 with the weight of my stuff and to use a quick release system or am I okay with my weight and is there a QR that would work with my set up?

Thanks,

Julie
  5. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Quote Originally Posted by jewelsok View Post
    What is the max weight for NN3? I have been concerned about this because it seems the connection between the upper and lower rails is prone to moving - not sure if I'm not tightening enough or I have too much weight.
    I use a Nikon D3000, Nikon SB-600 speedlight (take 4AA batteries) and a Sigma 10-20 lens. Am I pushing the limit?
    I noticed on the store's sight that it says that the quick release systems aren't recommended for NN3 so I haven't used the one that I got with my NN3.
    I'm wondering if I should have gone with NN5 with the weight of my stuff and to use a quick release system or am I okay with my weight and is there a QR that would work with my set up? Thanks, Julie
    Hi Julie, The max weight load limit for NN3 MKII is 7lbs. However the ideal working eight load should be half that or about 3.5 lbs. Using heavy gear consistently will create added stress and material fatigue in time and yes even sag. Also using on camera flash is discouraged as it creates torque on the upper rail and stresses the arm. We will be coming out with a flash adapter soon to lessen this stress as it would mount directly to the upper rail. And you would be limited with rail adjustment if using quick release systems.
    With your equipment your best solution would be the NN5L:
    http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/n5-pkg.htm
    Lots of room to grow - you can use QRS's and Nodal Ninja mounted flash attachments.

Bill

6. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Thanks for your answers. I was pretty much expecting that the NN3 wouldn't work. Now I have to think if the NN5 is worth the price and the weight for my use.

Another question : Do you think it's a good idea to mount the NN5 on a quick release plate (something like an acratech 3/8'' universal plate)? Do people generally mount the NN directly on the tripod or on a ballhead?

Stephane
  7. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Quote Originally Posted by typhoooon View Post
    Now I have to think if the NN5 is worth the price and the weight for my use.

Another question : Do you think it's a good idea to mount the NN5 on a quick release plate (something like an acratech 3/8'' universal plate)? Do people generally mount the NN directly on the tripod or on a ballhead?
    If you've spent upwards of £1,500 on your 7D and 15-85mm then I'd say yes, the NN5 is worth it...

I just mount the NN5 directly on my tripod. It's simple and there's no moving parts that could cause mis-alignment in the stitch as I'm rotating the unit.

Badders
  8. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Users Country Flag

Do not use a ballhead because there is a lot of torque with the NN5 and your camera/lens on top.

The only thing I would place in between the tripod and the NN5 in an EZ-Leveller II.

This is the way I use my D3.

Heinz
  9. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Ok, so each time I want to make a panorama I have to unmount the ballhead, mount the NN5 and shoot the panorama. A long and boring procedure...
  10. Re: Max settings on NN3 with arca style QR

Users Country Flag

You can add a QRC on top of your tripod and fix plates one to NN or EZ-Leveller, an other one to your ball head.

If you use a tripod with center column, you can add a second one, keep the top fixed, so changing from NN to ball head you just change the center column.

Just make a test, mount your equipment on top of the ball head, a bubble leveller in the flash light shoe of the camera, and try to level. Be aware of the forces on top of your ball head. After re fixing the ball head check the leveller on the camera.

Even using three way prof. heads for product photos, I found the equipment had moved a little bit after fixing. Which means out of level for panoramaphotographie.

Heinz
+ Reply to Thread