New Pole System From Fanotec

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Pole System From Fanotec

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: New Pole System From Fanotec

Users Country Flag

It would be very handy to have a bubble level somewhere near the photographer's eyes. It can be detachable or mounted permanently...
    Permanently attached to my monopod.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2894

2. Re: New Pole System From Fanotec

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 1drey View Post
    Nick,

It would be very handy to have a bubble level somewhere near the photographer's eyes. It can be detachable or mounted permanently...

Andrey

PS. would love to put my hands on this new pole!
    Sure. there will be bubble level for poles. Besides, I will release adapter for using our R1/10 external bubble level on short poles. I am also trying to make a handle for the poles.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: New Pole System From Fanotec

Users Country Flag

Manfrotto sell a simple strap on bubble level, probably their cheapest item at about €16 suitable for many pole diameters try here http://harrysproshop.com/Tripods/aut...autopoles.html of course a nice one from Nodal Ninja would look better!
  4. Re: New Pole System From Fanotec

Having the pole balanced while raised also insures level - not sure having an external level is really needed - maybe more so for shorter lengths. Wonder what Wim's thought on this would be.

Bill
  5. Re: New Pole System From Fanotec

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Having the pole balanced while raised also insures level - not sure having an external level is really needed - maybe more so for shorter lengths. Wonder what Wim's thought on this would be.
    Hello Bill,

I think the need for an external level is a matter of how much you want to be in control of the NPP of the lens.

When you balance the camera+lens on top of the pole in the gravity center then, if you have a good feeling for small variations in forces and if there is no wind, then each shot will be in approx. the same off set NPP position of the lens (*).
    (*) Because the gravity point of the camera+lens is not in the NPP of the lens the pole will lean a bit forwards when the gear is balanced, hence the NPP of the lens is always off set.

To get the best possible control I prefer to have an external level attached to the pole, then if there is some wind, or if I don't want to fully depend on my feeling for small forces, keeping the lens in the proper position (**) is much more faster and accurate.
    (**) For a monopod it is better not to shift the lens forwards out of NPP to avoid stitching errors caused by parallax but on a high pole, when objects or surfaces are not close by, it is possible to shift the lens 1-2 cm forwards to get a very small footprint in nadir, hence often there is no need to shoot a nadir patch and some cloning in Photoshop can fill the footprint.

As a side effect of the forward shift of the lens the gear is a little better balanced but still the pole will lean forward, hence the out of NPP position of the lens is more then neccesary to avoid the need of a nadir patch. This is another reason why I always use a external level attached to the pole.

Wim
  6. Re: New Pole System From Fanotec

Users Country Flag

Perhaps the next stage is to set a gyro at the top of the pole.
  7. Re: New Pole System From Fanotec

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    Perhaps the next stage is to set a gyro at the top of the pole.
    A gyro is a double-edged sword. It helps to stabilize the pole. However, it also becomes more difficult to restore to vertical position if the pole is tilted. The weight of gyro and battery can also add to the burden on the pole. a 0.5kg extra loading is significant for a 6 m pole.

Well, I can experiment your idea when I have more time.

nick

Fanotec
  8. Re: New Pole System From Fanotec

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    A gyro is a double-edged sword. It helps to stabilize the pole. However, it also becomes more difficult to restore to vertical position if the pole is tilted. The weight of gyro and battery can also add to the burden on the pole. a 0.5kg extra loading is significant for a 6 m pole.

Well, I can experiment your idea when I have more time.

nick
    Probably best not to turn it on till in position. As you say it resists change of position in weird ways.

Nick,

I am very interested in this design - how would one go about taking the Nadir shot and the Zenith shot?

Thanks
    Users Country Flag

zenith is easy. just clone the sky or use the new content aware fill in PS CS5. You can use a neg tilt and shift the lens forward of the NPP by 10-20mm. This will make the nadir very small and easy to patch.
    For perfectionists, they can use R1 and tilt the camera up to take the zenith shot.

nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Hi Nick,

I know your are trying very hard to serve the customers wishes and I know you are the "one" who likes to fill gaps. Discussions on other forums about how to take a pano inside cars. "Use a tripod outside, go through the window with a horizontal arm, and off you go"

An additional use of the small pole to your new "champion" like adaptor might be a "horizontal converter", 90° vertical to 90° horizontal, adapting to your "champignon" and using the pole to get inside the car through the window. At the end of the pole an extra plate being able to turn to zenith nadir and horizontal. I know you are tricky Nick and a question like this will ask your possibilities to proof you are trying harder.

Thx for setting up a new factory to serve your clients at its best.

Regards,

Heinz
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    Hi Nick,

I know your are trying very hard to serve the customers wishes and I know you are the "one" who likes to fill gaps. Discussions on other forums about how to take a pano inside cars. "Use a tripod outside, go through the window with a horizontal arm, and off you go"

An additional use of the small pole to your new "champion" like adaptor might be a "horizontal converter", 90° vertical to 90° horizontal, adapting to your "champignon" and using the pole to get inside the car through the window. At the end of the pole an extra plate being able to turn to zenith nadir and horizontal. I know you are tricky Nick and a question like this will ask your possibilities to proof you are trying harder.

Thx for setting up a new factory to serve your clients at its best.

Regards,

Heinz
    Well, I am aware that there is a need for horizontal pole. ;-)

nick

Fanotec
  13. Availability?

Any update on when the new poles will be available for purchase, please?

Regards

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Any update on when the new poles will be available for purchase, please?
    Still work in progress, keep tuned as it'll be announced here first when they'll become avalaible

French Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com
    Online shop: http://magasin.skivr.com
    Photo gallery: http://flickr.com/skivr
    Support website: http://support.skivr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vincèn View Post
    Still work in progress, keep tuned as it'll be announced here first when they'll become avalaible
    Thanks Vincèn, but can you offer any predictions as to when that will be, please? Are we talking weeks or months? I need a pole, but don't want to purchase a competing, and perhaps inferior, product if the Nodal Ninja offerings are imminent.
+ Reply to Thread