Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Thread: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Users Country Flag

Is any one else super excited about Photoshop's new feature to remove tripod shadows? Here is a sneak peak: http://cs5.org/?p=624
  2. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Quote Originally Posted by jmeberg View Post
    Is any one else super excited about Photoshop's new feature to remove tripod shadows? Here is a sneak peak: http://cs5.org/?p=624
    Oh yes!!!!! U can't wait to get my hands on CS5! It is going to be a blast!
  3. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Users Country Flag

Found this site and have they some good info (videos) on new features of CS5:

http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs5
  4. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

5. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

I believe this will a very worthy upgrade for panoramic photographers - especially those with older version of CS.

Bill
  6. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Going to be great! Especially since I do not have to pay a dime for the upgrade.... The company I work for keeps us up to date and has since v5... If that weren't enough they allow a lot of freedom and use of work equip for personal projects
  7. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

I have had the privilege of testing CS5 the other day. It has to be said that it was not the final version, but a development version, so the final one might be much better.

The Content Aware fill feature did result in very mixed results... I was not impressed. In the case of removing both eyes from a face, it might put an ear in the forehead... or the mouth or hair... changing the selected cut area just a little bit, would result in huge differences that often have nothing to do with the surrounding area.

In other images, removing a person from a background that consists of grass, gave a quick and good result. Then I downloaded a picture of a couple of elks standing in a lake, where there were trees behind and a good reflection in the water. Removed the animals and their reflection... and the result was very bad. The new reflection in the water and the trees in the background were all broken up and nothing matched.

Personally I hope that it was due to the version I tried not being the final cut, since it would help a lot to have this tool working well.

Another thing I really liked, was the way the clone stamp tool operates now. Once you have selected a point to start cloning, you can see the selected area and match it up with where you want to place it, in the brush itself (the mouse brush). This makes it very easy to fix tiled floors, bricked walls and other areas that have patterns.

Trausti
  8. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post

If you miss out a shot from a row on a 50 shot pan It can interpolate what should be there?
  9. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Quote Originally Posted by Flashificator View Post

Another thing I really liked, was the way the clone stamp tool operates now. Once you have selected a point to start cloning, you can see the selected area and match it up with where you want to place it, in the brush itself (the mouse brush). This makes it very easy to fix tiled floors, bricked walls and other areas that have patterns.

Trausti
    Thats CS4 news. One of the reasons I upgraded to CS4.

Hans
  10. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Ah silly me... but I am still running on CS3 ... and haven't ever tried CS4. Never saw a huge personal need for it.
  11. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

The Content Aware fill feature did result in very mixed results... I was not impressed.
    Wouldn't you say that the ability to quickly remove lensflares, which occur in a lot of sunny panoramas, alone would justify ugrading to CS5?

Pierre
  12. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Quote Originally Posted by pgielen View Post
    Wouldn't you say that the ability to quickly remove lensflares, which occur in a lot of sunny panoramas, alone would justify ugrading to CS5?

Pierre
    Absolutely, but what I have seen/tried first hand is what I base my words on. I have clearly stated that the version I got to try, was a development version, and not the final commercial version. Based on that, I still have a valid hope that things have been improved for the final release.

If the content aware removes a lensflare from the image, but adds half people floating in the sky as a replacement, then the justification for the purchase would not be there at all.

Let's just hope that the version I tried, was old and incomplete.
  13. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Users Country Flag

I have had the privilege of testing CS5 the other day. It has to be said that it was not the final version, but a development version, so the final one might be much better.

The Content Aware fill feature did result in very mixed results... I was not impressed. In the case of removing both eyes from a face, it might put an ear in the forehead... or the mouth or hair... changing the selected cut area just a little bit, would result in huge differences that often have nothing to do with the surrounding area.

In other images, removing a person from a background that consists of grass, gave a quick and good result. Then I downloaded a picture of a couple of elks standing in a lake, where there were trees behind and a good reflection in the water. Removed the animals and their reflection... and the result was very bad. The new reflection in the water and the trees in the background were all broken up and nothing matched.

Personally I hope that it was due to the version I tried not being the final cut, since it would help a lot to have this tool working well.

Trausti
    Could you not make a selection first, say with the square marquee tool, then go in with the spot heal tool (or stamp tool) set to content aware fill and use that to constrain photoshop to only use the area within the selection to gather the info for the replacement? You can do that now in CS2-4, with the spot healing, healing, and clone stamp tools. I do not see why it would not in CS5.

Jeremy
  14. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

I only had my hands on for about 10 minutes, and during that short time I only tried to do what I had seen done in the demo videos. Mark an area with magjic wand or lasso or marquee, hit delete, (a dialogue box appears giving the option to apply Content Aware method) and let the program itself figure out the rest. And as stated, the results did not impress me at all. At least not as much as the videos I have seen of CS5 have managed to impress.
  15. Re: Photoshop CS5 Content Aware Fill

Users Country Flag

CS5 released!!!!!!!!!!!!