NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    With the release of your new modular system, will this mean the end of the NN5 line of pano heads?
    This depends on if people stop buying the NN5 and if it losses it's popularity once the newer systems come into production.
    Bill
  2. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

i'm curious about the size & weight difference between the new gear & NN5, i pretty much only shoot panos with one body (upgraded every few years) & lens configuration, and i like to travel light...

are there any pics of the new head & NN5 side by side ?

is there a weight estimate on the new head in a simple configuration similar to NN5 ? (i know there will be many possible set ups w the new system)

im sure i'm gonna want one anyway, but i don't think this will kill the market for NN5 if the NN5 is still smaller, lighter & cheaper

congrats on the new gear, cant wait to see it in person

sam

Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: Location Scout :: New York City :: www.samrohn.com

PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org
  3. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    With the release of your new modular system, will this mean the end of the NN5 line of pano heads?
    No, there is no plan to stop the NN3/5 series. We just make 2 more accessories for them. One is nadir adapter, the other is a flash mount for mounting flash on the upper rail.

Nodal Ninja and Nodal Ninja Ultimate will always co-exist. They have different appeals to customers. Nodal Ninja is our cost effective solution. Nodal Ninja Ultimate is our best quality most advanced solution. Cost is not my concern in the Ultimate design.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

does the ultimate line stay the same or will it be made modular for all those who want to use it on poles as well as be used on regular tripods
    or would the new system be configured to sit on poles as well?
  5. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by marquee View Post
    does the ultimate line stay the same or will it be made modular for all those who want to use it on poles as well as be used on regular tripods
    or would the new system be configured to sit on poles as well?
    You can remove the lower rotator and mount the clamp on the pole to save weight on the pole. For best result, use a lens ring on R1/10 instead.

Nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS - Nadir Adapter

Here is the Nadir Adapter Nick designed and developed. This is for use with NN5 and fits on lower rail.
    It's easy to use - first attach to lower end of vertical rail then attach to lower rail of NN5 using the standard vertical rail mounting knob. After you shot your sequence of shots and ready to shoot the nadir simply loosen the nadir adapter using locking lever and rotate the vertical rail 180 degrees then tighten. It is good to use a reference point on ground as you will need to move the tripod assembly slightly so the lens is pointed directly over the original point of rotation.

Not sure yet exact date of availability or pricing.

Bill
  7. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Can't wait for the Nadir Adapter. Excellent product.

8. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

when did you say would that be available,
    Also can't wait for the modular R1 and the extra poles.

worthy update to a great product
  9. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS - Nadir Adapter

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Here is the Nadir Adapter Nick designed and developed. This is for use with NN5 and fits on lower rail.
    It's easy to use - first attach to lower end of vertical rail then attach to lower rail of NN5 using the standard vertical rail mounting knob. After you shot your sequence of shots and ready to shoot the nadir simply loosen the nadir adapter using locking lever and rotate the vertical rail 180 degrees then tighten. It is good to use a reference point on ground as you will need to move the tripod assembly slightly so the lens is pointed directly over the original point of rotation.
    Not sure yet exact date of availability or pricing.
    We will make limited number by CNC machining. Target price is $49.95. Introductory price for $39.95. Available in May 2010.
    Then we will mass product it by die casting. Target price is ~$35.

Nick

Fanotec
  10. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Users Country Flag

It would appear that the distance from the center of the lens to the center of the pivot is about 4.625 inches. Double that and you get 9.25 inches. That would be the distance you would need to shift your rig over in order to get the camera back over the original centerline. I set two small rulers on the ground to help with the shift. Maybe Nick can make plastic spacers that can easily be carried? No sharp edges otherwise airport security might get overly excited. Prior to using the Nadir patch shot, you will need to rotate the image 180 degrees in Photoshop (or your favorite image editing software) in order to get it oriented correctly with the rest of the images. Instructions for applying the patch can be found here: http://www.dlsphoto.net/Tutorials/NadirPatch2/index.htm Nice product with an even nicer price point. Every NN5 owner should get one of these. Can't wait to see how Nick implimented the swivel for the modular system.
  11. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Users Country Flag

Hi DennisS,

thx a lot for your thread and your brainstorming a year ago.

Before I move my tripod for the nadir shot, I usually place a coin directly under the center column of the tripod. Either I use this coin to focus to with the viewpoint correction version of the nadir, or I place my lens directly on top of the coin to do it -90°.

Or you could make yourself a string with this specific distance, easily to be put away besides the camera.

Cheers

Heinz
  12. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

I'm pretty sure to have the solution to the moving of the tripod in a perfect, easy and fast way. Both on floors and level ground. I will initially try to make some real life tests (will be crude, since I do not have access to good materials or machinery)... if it turns out well, I will share the concept with Bill.
  13. Re: NEW NODAL NINJA PRODUCTS

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    I usually place a coin directly under the center column
    Thanks for the earlier compliment. I have spent a lot of time thinking about this and designing a solution. I am so glad that Nick is producing it.

I started out doing the coin thing. Actually, I just used my lens cap. It does require you spending more time adjusting the tripod, looking through the viewer, moving the tripod, repeat until lined up. the problem becomes not rotating the tripod when you move it. Alignment does not have to be perfect, but it does need to be as close as you can get it. Using string as a gage sounds like a very low tech solution that would work very well. I will have to give it a try. I will probably use some stiffer cord. Anything to speed up the process without carrying more things.
  14. NADIR ADAPTER

With the Nadir Adapter I just use my foot as marker- putting my toe at the center point of rotation then moving back the tripod so the lens is now over my toe . You don't need to be spot on as the software will allow you to tweak a bit left or right up or down. The more important concern addressed is in keeping the height the same as well as maintaining stability as with HDR.

Bill
  15. Re: NADIR ADAPTER

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    You don't need to be spot on as the software will allow you to tweak a bit left or right up or down. The more important concern addressed is in keeping the height the same as well as maintaining stability as with HDR.
    I have found the more accurately you reposition the tripod, the better the stitch will go. While software does allow you to adjust, I am finding myself tweaking the patch shot in Photoshop prior to stitching. I have had to take two patch shots at 45 degrees offset in an attempt to deal with tripod shadows. That makes stitching a bit more difficult. The final result is worth the effort.

You are absolutly correct that the most important part is keeping the camera level and at the same height. Positioning errors can be more easily corrected than height errors.
+ Reply to Thread