Your photo gear?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your photo gear?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Your photo gear?

Hi

I'm wondering, which gear are you using for taking panoramas?
    Currently, I'm using Olympus e-30 + Zuiko digital 8mm fisheye lens, Vanguard Tracker B-100 tripod with Nodal Ninja 5 panoramic head.

I'm not satisfied with e-30 because it doesn't perform good in low light conditions for panoramas with peoples.
    High ISO produces visible noise, and long exposures blurry people. Also, I simply cannot force people to freeze in time so that I can make my 10 shoots in peace, therefore I need to be very fast which often produces focus errors.

So I was thinking (when finance permits) to upgrade to full frame camera: Canon 5d mkII + Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/8mm-f...-fisheye-sigma

Fullframe Sigma fisheye would mean much better lens coverage which would result in only three (or 4) shoots per pano needed,
    while Canon's good high ISO vs noise performance could give me drastically better crowd shots in low light.

Yes, this is pricey upgrade, but after that Ill have full frame camera

Do any of you have same or similar camera and lens combo?
    Anything other to recommend?

Also, to make spherical pano, 1st I need to take 6 photos around, with camera in portrait orientation. Than I'm shooting the sky - 1 shoot.
    After that pointing camera down, shoot 1 photo, rotating it 180 degrees and taking another photo,
    than removing camera from tripod and shooting ground where tripod was for patching (tripod removal) process.

I'm using Photoshop to process last three images for removing tripod from ground, PTGui for stitching em, Photoshop again to fix some impurities or ghosts, than finally Pano2VR to make finished pano.

That means that for each pano I need to take 10 photos + editing time, which may be faster or slower, depending on panorama or light complexity.

With fullframe circular lens I would need only 4 photos, which ends with faster photographing times, faster pano creating, and lesser disk space used.

Thoughts?

Regards,
  2. Re: Your photo gear?

Users Country Flag

Hello,

good and in my eyes the only possibility to solve your low light problem with moving people, the full frame solution with minimum noise at high ISO. So Canon 5D MKII, or Nikon D700.

I personally do not like the Sigma 8mm/f3.5 compared to shaved Nikkor 10.5mm on my D3. I am Nikonian . I know you tend to 3 or 4 shots. But sometimes I feel better to do 6, and use a better quality lens.

I used the Sigma 8mm/f3.5 at first, but then stepped over to Nikkor 10.5 and shaved it because of "quality". But I read there is a very good 15mm canon fisheye lens, 15mm/f2.8. But it takes 6 shots plus.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx.

May be Hans Nyberg or John know both lenses. I am quite sure you might get an answer.

Nikon version: D700, shaved 10.5mm (4shots), or the very good 16mm/f2.8fisheye which is my favorite with D3. You can easily shoot up to ISO 3600, using bracketing with continuos low mode (CL). And a quick CF card, 60 or 90MB/sec.

Do not forget to place a penny under your tripod before you remove it to take the handheld nadir or a normal nadir shot as reference point for viewpoint corrections or stitching.

To get better information try to get a test combo from your dealer and visit dpreview.

Regards

Heinz

3. Re: Your photo gear?

Hi guys. I had a conversation about my setup
    and how I store the promote control and nodal ninjas in my case.
    I thought to show you all what my setup is all about.

to show you all my setup for 360 panorama shooting.
    here can you see what the setup is all about.

What's missing in this image is the7 meter pole and you cannot see the tripod I use.
  4. Re: Your photo gear?

Hi

Thanks for the answers.
    TBH, I've expected more ideas/suggestions.

What I've found/decided so far:

- it will be Canon 5d mkII
    - not sigma lens
    - shaved fish eye lens, maybe Tokina AT-X 107 DX

Regards
  5. Re: Your photo gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Krx View Post
    Hi

I'm wondering, which gear are you using for taking panoramas?
    Currently, I'm using Olympus e-30 + Zuiko digital 8mm fisheye lens, Vanguard Tracker B-100 tripod with Nodal Ninja 5 panoramic head.

I'm not satisfied with e-30 because it doesn't perform good in low light conditions for panoramas with peoples.
    High ISO produces visible noise, and long exposures blurry people. Also, I simply cannot force people to freeze in time so that I can make my 10 shoots in peace, therefore I need to be very fast which often produces focus errors.

So I was thinking (when finance permits) to upgrade to full frame camera: Canon 5d mkII + Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/8mm-f...-fisheye-sigma

Fullframe Sigma fisheye would mean much better lens coverage which would result in only three (or 4) shoots per pano needed,
    while Canon's good high ISO vs noise performance could give me drastically better crowd shots in low light.

Yes, this is pricey upgrade, but after that Ill have full frame camera

Do any of you have same or similar camera and lens combo?
    Anything other to recommend?

Also, to make spherical pano, 1st I need to take 6 photos around, with camera in portrait orientation. Than I'm shooting the sky - 1 shoot.
    After that pointing camera down, shoot 1 photo, rotating it 180 degrees and taking another photo,
    than removing camera from tripod and shooting ground where tripod was for patching (tripod removal) process.

I'm using Photoshop to process last three images for removing tripod from ground, PTGui for stitching em, Photoshop again to fix some impurities or ghosts, than finally Pano2VR to make finished pano.

That means that for each pano I need to take 10 photos + editing time, which may be faster or slower, depending on panorama or light complexity.

With fullframe circular lens I would need only 4 photos, which ends with faster photographing times, faster pano creating, and lesser disk space used.

Thoughts?

Regards,
    Sorry but you seems to misunderstand what you need for a fullframe camera.

A 15mm on fullframe is very similar to your 8mm on Olympus. It needs 6 around + zenith and a nadir.
    The best way to do this , also with your 8mm is to shoot 6 around at -10 degrees and 1 zenith at +70
    With -10 you cover everything you can se down to the rotator and there is no need for 2 downshots with the panohead. At +65-70 you get all needed for zenith and in addition you get more area covered down to the horisont for adding controlpoints. It means you always can get controlpoints for zenith also with a clean sky around you.

The Nadir is easiest to tak without removing the camera. Just lean the tripod and set the panohead at -60 degree. You can than take nadir which is very close to the NPP and they can easy be stitched in PTGui with viewpoint.

See this http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/
    The way I usually do it is with a foot on one leg as one of the images show you.
    I can do bracketed shots perfectly aligned that way even with long exposure. Usually I do 1 sec exposures with it in churches but I just done a 3 bracket night pano with a 30 sec exposure for the nadir.

Both the Canon and the Sigma 15mm are very high quality. Canon is today almost same price so I perfer it.

Hans
+ Reply to Thread