Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

Just got a Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR lens for my d700, and I would love to make some QTVR panos with it. But I cant find anyone used this combo before, and found the nodal point of it.
    - So if anyone have this combo, please show me your work.
    - How many images do I need for a 360 degree image, when used with a fullframe sensor and the lens at 16mm
  2. Re: Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

You'll need 6 shots around plus one zenith and one nadir. Total of 8 shots. You can also use this handy calculator: http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm

Badders
  3. Re: Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

i was helping a friend get going with a similar set up last week, canon 5Dm2 + canon 14mm (rectilinear, not fisheye) lens

shooting 6 around + 2 zenith & nadir shots (each at 90° to the other) covered the entire sphere, single n & z left little triangular holes in the image, but either way, not as much overlap as a 15mm fisheye, so you might not get as easy a stitch with the rectilinear lens...

sam

Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: Location Scout :: New York City :: www.samrohn.com

PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org
  4. Re: Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

Users Country Flag

Hi,

you are an Nikonian, so when using a fisheye lens go to shaved nikkor 10.5/f2.8 - 4 shorts - or best 16mm/f2.8 - 6 shots - both +z/n. Sigma 8mm/f3,5 for me has lower quality compared to the shaved 10.5nikkor lens.

I have tested the lenses with D3, D300S, D90.

16mm/f2.8fisheye stitches easily, most "very good" without doing anything. Bracketing using CL mode will finish your shoots for the panorama very quickly. In your situation my first choice would be the 16mm lens.

Heinz
  5. Re: Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by badders View Post
    You'll need 6 shots around plus one zenith and one nadir. Total of 8 shots. You can also use this handy calculator: http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm
    Sorry but that will not work. It is not a fisheye. A 16mm Rectilinear requires 6 around at -30 and 6 at +45

Hans
  6. Re: Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

Users Country Flag

Sorry,

but it does work:

"so when using a fisheye lens go to shaved nikkor 10.5/f2.8 - 4 shorts - or best 16mm/f2.8 - 6 shots - both +z/n." Nikonians know, that if you talk of a 10.5mm or 16mm these are the special fisheye lenses of nikon.

Shaved 10.5 on full frame goes with 4 shots, 16mm on full frame works with 6 shots, today there is no 16mm rectilinear lens in production, nore a 15mm lens.

Having gone for a D700 fullframe camera I suppose jlw knows what I was talking about.

Heinz
  7. Re: Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

Heinz
    '
    He is using a Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR lens

Hans
  8. Re: Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR with Nikon D700, combo. Questions.

Users Country Flag

Hans,

Badders already answered his question in his first answer.

I was following up Sam, mentioning a 15mm fisheye lens. I just wanted to mention alternatives to the lens he has right now as a fisheye version.

For me 6 shots, and now I am talking about the 16-35mm/f4 VR lens, are a bit at the borderline of overlap. 6 shots give 19% in portrait mode. To be save, I would take 8 shots around with 39%. This means 16 shots plus in 2 rows, instead of 4 or 6 shots plus with the fisheye lenses. So he might soon think about the fisheye alternative.

In the reviews his lens has got good critics, seems to be close to the 14-24mm/f2,8 nikkor lens. I did a comparison 16mm fisheye to 14-24/f2.8 at zoom 16, very nice, but it takes time and good places.

BTW. Vincen, the french reseller, uses the 14-24mm/f2.8 as his favorite lens with D3, now in Tuscon with D90. But most of the time snow and sand in the desert do not move so much.

With regards,

Heinz

+ Reply to Thread