OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Thread: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Hello everybody, I just have a quick question because I am not sure what information I should be looking at.

I have a friend that recently purchased a OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ. Supposedly the lens it comes with has these specifications:

• 20x
    • 4 Aspherical glass elements
    • Focal length 4.6 - 92.0mm
    • Focal length (equiv. 35mm) 26 - 520mm
    • 14 lenses/11 groups
    • Aperture 2.8 - 4.5

My question is which focal length should I pay attention to in order to take panoramic images? In other words: if I try to use a panorama calculator, which measurement should I use? In other other words: a focal length of 4.6 is great because It means less images need to be taken, but is 4.6 real?

I hope you can understand my question.

Thanks in advance
  2. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Yes, 4.6 is the real focal length. However, to use a panorama calculator you need to know the field of view which is often described as "35mm equivalent focal length". That means the 4.6 mm lens on the SP-565 gives the same field of view as a 26mm lens on a 35mm film camera (or a full-frame DSLR).
  3. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Users Country Flag

The size of sensor is 59.18 x 25.4, max pixels 3648 x 2736.

You can use the calculator from Frank on the camera settings side of NN. Leave "camera" alone, fill in focus length and sensor size and go on calculating. To find information about you sensor you find this on sites light dpreview.

Knowing that you have to take 10 pictures, have a look to detend plunger list via 10 stops : 36ฐ as detend plunger setting.

Heinz
  4. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Users Country Flag

Being interested in how to use Frank's calculator, you may have a look to an older video of me, download, double click index.html. Just a quick shot for a forum member.

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechu...calculator.zip

Cheers Heinz

5. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Quote Originally Posted by hindenhaag View Post
    The size of sensor is 59.18 x 25.4, max pixels 3648 x 2736.
    Heinz, 59.18 x 25.4 doesn't seem very likely. DPReview gives 6.13 x 4.60mm.

John
  6. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Hello everybody,

I understand everything now. thank you for your help.

John, I found that in some places it mentions that the sensor size is 1/2.33" which does seem unlikly.
  7. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

8. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

9. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Users Country Flag

Thx to you John.

So there has to be another calculation for the camera at 26mm:
    :-\

Heinz

10. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Oh man, that is a lot of images to take! Oh well, it is all part of the learning process.

I know know that the focal length I need to pay attention to is the one that is equivalent to a 35mm camera. Thank you everybody for the help.
  11. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

If you enter the actual sensor measurements to Frank's panorama calculator then you must also use the actual focal length, not the "35mm equivalent" one. For the widest setting on the SP-565 that means 4.6mm focal length for a horizontal FOV=53.13 degrees and 9 shots for a 360 degree panorama with 25% overlap.
  12. Re: OLYMPUS SP-565 UZ

Quote Originally Posted by markkuk View Post
    If you enter the actual sensor measurements to Frank's panorama calculator then you must also use the actual focal length, not the "35mm equivalent" one. For the widest setting on the SP-565 that means 4.6mm focal length for a horizontal FOV=53.13 degrees and 9 shots for a 360 degree panorama with 25% overlap.
    Oh man that is a life saver. I guess that makes more sense: always use the actual measurements, not equivalents or type designations, just the plain specs.

9 shots is not so bad.