Arca Swiss Mount

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arca Swiss Mount

Share/Bookmark
  1. Arca Swiss Mount

The mount on the NN3 is my only non Arca Swiss mount. I would like to standardize, however your Arca Style Quick Release Clamp product description indicates that it is not recommended for DSLR use with the NN3.

http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/asqrc-2.htm

Do you anticipate on having a Arca style QR clamp in the future? I am using a Pentax K20D with an L bracket and a FA31 lens. What is the particular issue with the DSLR and NN3? Is it a certain weight limitation or ?? Thanks...
  2. Re: Arca Swiss Mount

I believe the issue is that thickness of the clamp+plate may cause you to run out of bottom rail adjustment range on a NN3.
  3. Re: Arca Swiss Mount

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
    The mount on the NN3 is my only non Arca Swiss mount. I would like to standardize, however your Arca Style Quick Release Clamp product description indicates that it is not recommended for DSLR use with the NN3.

http://store.nodalninja.com/product_p/asqrc-2.htm

Do you anticipate on having a Arca style QR clamp in the future? I am using a Pentax K20D with an L bracket and a FA31 lens. What is the particular issue with the DSLR and NN3? Is it a certain weight limitation or ?? Thanks...
    QR systems add to the thickness under the camera. For some taller DSLRS, lower rail of NN3 may not be long enough to compensate for the extra thickness.
    The ASQRC-2 will work for you IF and ONLY IF you still have 13mm free movement at the right of your NN3 lower rail using the standard CP1 or CP2.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Arca Swiss Mount

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    QR systems add to the thickness under the camera. For some taller DSLRS, lower rail of NN3 may not be long enough to compensate for the extra thickness.
    The ASQRC-2 will work for you IF and ONLY IF you still have 13mm free movement at the right of your NN3 lower rail using the standard CP1 or CP2.

Nick
    Hi Nick,

So do you mean to say that the 13mm extra on the lower rail is a prerequisite to using the ASQRC-2? I still have room on my NN3.
  5. Re: Arca Swiss Mount

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ruel941 View Post
    Hi Nick,

So do you mean to say that the 13mm extra on the lower rail is a prerequisite to using the ASQRC-2? I still have room on my NN3.
    yes. right.

nick

Fanotec
  6. Larger upper rail setting possible with Arca Swiss mount?

Question

Hello,

short version: Does the Arca Swiss mount allow for a larger upper rail setting compared to the standard mounting plate from the NN3 II set? Some 5-8mm more would probably be enough.

I'm using a Canon 17-55mm/f2.8 on my Canon 450D. I read before buying that the upper rail length might not suffice for this configuration, but still went for the NN3 II due to compactness/weight preferences. Since the NPP point moves toward the sensor for longer focal lengths, I can use this lens at about 22mm, so I'm not regretting my choice! I'm contemplating whether to get the Arca Swiss mount for faster camera mounting, would it also allow me to use the lens at 17mm as a by-product, or is the T adapter the only thing that helps? (I won't be running out of lower rail space with the Arca Swiss mount AFAICT.)

Many thanks for your product! Also, I should mention that this very helpful forum definitely influenced my buying decision!

Zwielicht
    Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Zwielicht View Post
    Hello,

short version: Does the Arca Swiss mount allow for a larger upper rail setting compared to the standard mounting plate from the NN3 II set? Some 5-8mm more would probably be enough.
    No. upper rail is similar.

Nick

Fanotec
    Users Country Flag

Zwielicht,

The quick release clamps do not expand the length of the upper rail. The arca swiss style "quick release system" - clamp and camera plate - changes the setting of your LRS. The T adaptor won't help for quick release.

I am Nikonian, so I can not test your equipment.

But might be this is a solution for your own personal problem: I just added my NN arca swiss style clamp to the NN3 MKII. Last upper rail set is 110. I tried Wimberley and Kirk arca swiss style plates with it. Wimberley is lower in height, the offset for lower rail setting is a little bit smaller. You can expand the URS for 23mm with the normal Wimberley camera plate, 2/3 of the plate is in the NN Arca swiss style clamp. Should be enough.

But be aware: this combo adds around 21mm to you LRS. Check if this is possible. A normal 40 will end in 61 LRS... Second, might be a little too much torque on the NN3 upper rail to slip down. But if you feel happy with the zoom 22, it should work.

Try to test it before buying it.

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/camera-body-main.cfm. Not in the low price section. But....it all ends in your personal decision.

May be this is a solution to make you happy.

Regards,

Heinz
    Last edited by hindenhaag; 09-06-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Many thanks for the advice, Heinz and Nick!

I think I'll just stick with 22mm. It's not that much of a difference; I have to do 12 pictures for 360° at 22mm, as opposed to 10 at 17mm. If I want to become quicker at taking panoramas, I'll have to get another lens anyway.
+ Reply to Thread