Nodal Ninja Decision

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nodal Ninja Decision

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Nodal Ninja Decision

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to make a decision regarding which Nodal Ninja to use. They have a great informative website but to a newbie like me it has created more questions. As always cost is a concern so if I understand correctly really the primary difference between the 3 and the 5 is size of camera and lenses with similar functionality.

Since I'm starting out I've read Dorins' posts and seen what is possible with an 18-70mm lens, so before I jump into buying a fisheye I want to experiment with that. I know this means that I have to take three rows of 10 shots +Z+N.

I just don't know which of the Ninja 5's or 3 I could get away with for the minimum with the rd8 or rd16 rotator. So initially 18-70 lens, may (a big MAY) go up to 200mm within a year, most likely move to a fisheye (All depends on how painful it is to stitch 32 shots). Also there is a 5 and a 5L in this series. The 5 gives you 15 degree click on the upper arm while the 5L does not. what use is this? is it necessary?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[sub]moderator note: removed suspicions promotional signature[/sub]
  2. Re: Nodal Ninja Decision

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sandal ponds View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am trying to make a decision regarding which Nodal Ninja to use. They have a great informative website but to a newbie like me it has created more questions. As always cost is a concern so if I understand correctly really the primary difference between the 3 and the 5 is size of camera and lenses with similar functionality.

Since I'm starting out I've read Dorins' posts and seen what is possible with an 18-70mm lens, so before I jump into buying a fisheye I want to experiment with that. I know this means that I have to take three rows of 10 shots +Z+N.

I just don't know which of the Ninja 5's or 3 I could get away with for the minimum with the rd8 or rd16 rotator. So initially 18-70 lens, may (a big MAY) go up to 200mm within a year, most likely move to a fisheye (All depends on how painful it is to stitch 32 shots). Also there is a 5 and a 5L in this series. The 5 gives you 15 degree click on the upper arm while the 5L does not. what use is this? is it necessary?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    NN5/5L will give you more room for growth. It supports the 200mm lens. NN5 has 15 deg positive stops. It can be used for template assisted stitching. You can still get good stitching even if you have no feature at the overlapping region. It is however only useful for wide angle lens. tele lens needs much finer intervals.

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Nodal Ninja Decision

nn5 with RD16 it's definitely the ultimate pano head, it allows you to use almost any camera and lens you can imagine...
    But NN3 it's lighter and if you have to walk a lot with the whole equipment it might be better...
    I bought NN3 as soon it came out and i upgraded to the ultimate package (NN5 + rd16 + ez-leveler II + Quick Release System) last November...
    right now I'm convinced that if you plan to shoot panorama with only one lens (Ie: one setup)
    NN3 is better because it's lighter and smaller! ( as long as your camera can fit in it see:http://www.nodalninja.com/product_selector.html)
    But NN5 + RD16 it's as I said the ultimate pano head, you can go from fisheye that allows you to shoot only 3 pictures with a full frame camera
    to almost any lens you want in seconds...
    right now I've tested many situation with 5dmkII and sigma 8mm fisheye, the process is vary fast, as i said only 3 shots taken but
    the resulting pano image is only 21Mpx, while a pano taken with a 17mm lens it's about 150Mpx which i like better ( but its 6x3=18 shots)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by manga23 View Post
    I bought NN3 as soon it came out and i upgraded to the ultimate package (NN5 + rd16 + ez-leveler II + Quick Release System) last November...
    If you already have both NN3 and NN5, how smaller it is the hole to patch the nadir on the NN5? I think that if you have a taller vertical arm, you have a smaller black point to repair on nadir. Can you upload 2 nadir shots to see its difference? maybe this is the most interesting point in my decision.

Thanks!
    Users Country Flag

Wow,

Sorry to say, a plug and play mentality? This is not the sense of the forum. Why don't you try to find a reseller and ask for testing both hardwares? Any imagination of the time your are asking for someone who owns both, NN3 and NN5 to answer your question?

Ok, I try to be fair though I hate to serve someone asking the forum to deliver everything without own engagement. Might be you are in a desert.

The size of the nadir hole depends on your pitch setting. When you go to +pitch, you will get a bigger nadir hole but you might be able to cover the zenith. Setting pitch to -, you will stay with a smaller nadir but a bigger zenith hole.

The difference of the nadir shot itself will be different on NN3 and NN5 concerning on the length of the rail.

Btw, I have taken a set up NN3 NN5 with D90_10.5 this evening.

Feel free to ask, but do not ask to much.

Welcome to the forum,

Heinz
  6. Re: Nodal Ninja Decision

Sandal Ponds-

Just a couple weeks ago I had the same exact question on my mind as you do. I think what really sealed the deal for me was looking through the forums and reading some of the great advice here.
    I actually plan on upgrading my camera so I went with the NN5 + rd16 + ez-leveler II setup.

I promise you will not be disappointed. At first i did not plan on getting the ez-leveler II for cost reasons but I can tell you it is well worth it.
    I am very happy with the setup I have and amazed at the stability and ease of use!

There are no con's in my mind on the decision I made! Sure it cost a little more but that will only prove a good decision down the road!

Hope this helps!
+ Reply to Thread